A little football education in the off-season? | Syracusefan.com

A little football education in the off-season?

Shenexon

All American
For those of you in the football business, I'm hoping you can share some insight as to how kids are slotted into the positions they fill as players. It would seem the same body types could be slotted as offensive or defensive players, i.e. WR or DB. By the time kids get to college, their positions are generally set. How does that happen? For instance, why DL or OL, WR or DB, LB, QB, or RB, or any similar scenario? As youth talent evaluators, how do those of you who are coaches place kids in the positions that determine their futures?

Seems like a mix of art and science. Speed and size are first order factors. Being 6'5+ gets you on a line, but which one? Bergeron for instance - maybe he played OL in HS but what makes him an offensive tackle instead of a DE?

Then there are guys like Tyrell Richards - who makes plays all over the field but hasn't found a spot. (DE probably, but also WLB).
I know there are posters here who are actively involved with coaching kids, guiding them to play specific positions. What are the criteria they use?

For those of you in the football business, I'm hoping you can share some insight as to how kids are slotted into the positions they fill as players. It would seem the same body types could be slotted as offensive or defensive players, i.e. WR or DB. By the time kids get to college, their positions are generally set. How does that happen? For instance, why DL or OL, WR or DB, LB, QB, or RB, or any similar scenario? As youth talent evaluators, how do those of you who are coaches place kids in the positions that determine their futures?
Easy -- if you can catch, you're a WR. If not, you're a DB. ; )