A little help please, I have a bad knee | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A little help please, I have a bad knee

the x-ray showed a gap and my Orthro drained my knee (there was a lot of fluid) and gave me a cortisone shot. The shot didn't work. Not for nothing, but he gave me the shot in the knee and it really seems that the pain is on the other side of the knee. Anyway, on Friday, I had a gel injection. he said that it might take two weeks until we know if it worked. Well, yesterday, my knee felt great. But today, it is worse yet, Anyone evr have the gel shot before? And I think if surgery is next (I sure hope not) I may ask for a different dr. Thoughts?
If your insurance covers it go to Steadman in Vail. Best orthopedic surgeons in the US.

Have you had MRI to clearly define what your issue is. Sounds to me total knee replacement may be your best option if it is purely degenerative osteoarthritis and you are beyond 50 years old not responding to conservative therapies
I had a X-ray and that is what they said it was . Or compart something or other arthritus. make any sense to you?

Cortisone shots become less effective the more frequently you get them.

The gel shots don’t become less effective they are always hit or miss.
Cortisone works at the beginning.

The gel is just doesn’t always work.

ibuprofen is a safe tablet to use for pain.
Ibuprofen isn't always safe or ideal (high blood pressure, kidney disease, ulcers, etc.), and in that case I would suggest Voltaren (diclofenac) topical gel.
I will defer to the surgeons here on their opinions, but as a PCP, more often than not I hear "I should have done this sooner." The pain and loss of function occur so slowly and gradually that you lose appreciation for how much you have actually lost. As far as a second opinion...that should always be an option if you're not sure.
Best of luck to you dasher!

If your insurance covers it go to Steadman in Vail. Best orthopedic surgeons in the US.
money I have. Use of my knee, I don't. And it was out of the blue. I walk (or did before this) 35 minutes a day. Suddenly, I couldn't.

money I have. Use of my knee, I don't. And it was out of the blue. I walk (or did before this) 35 minutes a day. Suddenly, I couldn't.

Vail and Vegas?

Im sorry. If any docs can help you they can. Steadman does most of the top athletes. Kobe Lindsey and 100s more. Pretty amazing place.

Vail and Vegas?
I am planning on going to vegas. the 8 to 9 hour flight is what has stopped me. I was going to drive to turning stone but I don't think they will let me play because I am more than 1 1/2 hour away. I'll have to double check that.

i just checked on google and the answer I got was that my reaction to my knee, more pain, is not uncommon. I might need another shot in a week or so.

I am planning on going to vegas. the 8 to 9 hour flight is what has stopped me. I was going to drive to turning stone but I don't think they will let me play because I am more than 1 1/2 hour away. I'll have to double check that.

I’ve seen you say that about the long flight. Just figured if you went to vail for knee surgery you could tie in Vegas while there.

the x-ray showed a gap and my Orthro drained my knee (there was a lot of fluid) and gave me a cortisone shot. The shot didn't work. Not for nothing, but he gave me the shot in the knee and it really seems that the pain is on the other side of the knee. Anyway, on Friday, I had a gel injection. he said that it might take two weeks until we know if it worked. Well, yesterday, my knee felt great. But today, it is worse yet, Anyone evr have the gel shot before? And I think if surgery is next (I sure hope not) I may ask for a different dr. Thoughts?

Sup

Im sorry to hear the steroid and gel injections didn’t work. Though tbh I rec the gel when either the patient doesn’t want an operation or I don’t want to operate. It’s hit or miss but one more thing to try I guess. Physical therapy may be an option but if you’re in agony it may not be super effective.

A lot depends on your x rays. If they’re (relatively normal) you may need an MRI. Arthroscopy/partial meniscectomy may be an option if you have a big tear causing a lot of mechanical symptoms like locking/catching.

If you have “bone on bone” arthritis than a total knee may be in your future. In all honestly though most people who get one regret waiting.

I wouldn’t do PRP. It’s not approved by insurances that I know of so you usually have to pay out of pocket. It’s also of questionable efficacy.

You also don’t have to go to a place like Vail. You go there and instead of getting treated by an expert you get operated on by fellow (or worse.). There are plenty of more than capable Orthopaedic surgeons in your area.

And obviously take everything that I say with a grain of salt as even though I’m a board certified Orthopaedic surgeon I’m also a guy on a message board who likes fat jokes.

Sup

Im sorry to hear the steroid and gel injections didn’t work. Though tbh I rec the gel when either the patient doesn’t want an operation or I don’t want to operate. It’s hit or miss but one more thing to try I guess. Physical therapy may be an option but if you’re in agony it may not be super effective.

A lot depends on your x rays. If they’re (relatively normal) you may need an MRI. Arthroscopy/partial meniscectomy may be an option if you have a big tear causing a lot of mechanical symptoms like locking/catching.

If you have “bone on bone” arthritis than a total knee may be in your future. In all honestly though most people who get one regret waiting.

I wouldn’t do PRP. It’s not approved by insurances that I know of so you usually have to pay out of pocket. It’s also of questionable efficacy.

You also don’t have to go to a place like Vail. You go there and instead of getting treated by an expert you get operated on by fellow (or worse.). There are plenty of more than capable Orthopaedic surgeons in your area.

And obviously take everything that I say with a grain of salt as even though I’m a board certified Orthopaedic surgeon I’m also a guy on a message board who likes fat jokes.
You know he's good because he spells it "Orthopaedic". :)

Some good advice from sufandu above. I know zero about knees and medical stuff but my son has worked as a surgical tech for a major joint replacement supplier for over 17 years. He participates in several surgeries a week performed by a variety of doctors in several different hospitals. Many doctors request him for their more difficult surgeries. He tells me to not wait too long, if it is needed, and to be sure you get a highly recommended surgeon. With the technology and replacement joints available today, a good surgeon should be able to make you like new. Good luck.

Sup

Is it normal for your knee to feel worse the day after the injection than it did the day of?

Ibuprofen isn't always safe or ideal (high blood pressure, kidney disease, ulcers, etc.), and in that case I would suggest Voltaren (diclofenac) topical gel.
I will defer to the surgeons here on their opinions, but as a PCP, more often than not I hear "I should have done this sooner." The pain and loss of function occur so slowly and gradually that you lose appreciation for how much you have actually lost. As far as a second opinion...that should always be an option if you're not sure.
Best of luck to you dasher!

F@@$ yeah team Voltaren in the House

If you do decide to look into Vail PM me. Im a big hiker and would be devastated if i had to give it up. Fortunately you have lots of good options today and the resources to get excellent care. Best of luck Dash hope you are on the mend soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom