A little help with colleges: I will be looking at schools | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

A little help with colleges: I will be looking at schools

4 get UCLA it's located in a dump.

Haha. Either my sarcasm meter is off, or you're confused. Westwood is across the street from Bel Air and down the road from Beverly Hills in one direction and Brentwood in the other. Too expensive for college students? Yes. But definitely not a dump.

As someone who in fact went to UCLA sight unseen, I'd say Captain T's son could do a lot worse. (And, apparently, its genetic engineering program is top-notch.)

Elite schools frequently don't give you credit for having taken AP courses, just to give you a heads up.

Right. Although they usually do exempt students with strong AP test scores from taking many requirements or introductory pre-reqs. By "strong" I mean a score of 5, occasionally 4.

Re: University of Chicago, my nephew graduated from UC near the top of his class about 4 years ago. He is not exactly what you'd call a grind. He's spent the past 3+ years in the Middle East, purportedly working for an international real estate development conglomerate but we family members think he may be involved in something else. At least that's what the photo of him in shades and leather flight jacket posing with some friends in the military around a black helicopter in the desert suggests.

Right. Although they usually do exempt students with strong AP test scores from taking many requirements or introductory pre-reqs. By "strong" I mean a score of 5, occasionally 4.

Re: University of Chicago, my nephew graduated from UC near the top of his class about 4 years ago. He is not exactly what you'd call a grind. He's spent the past 3+ years in the Middle East, purportedly working for an international real estate development conglomerate but we family members think he may be involved in something else. At least that's what the photo of him in shades and leather flight jacket posing with some friends in the military around a black helicopter in the desert suggests.
Dude your nephew is an international assassin

This is absolutely true. His undergrad degree will determine where he gets into grad school, but his graduate degree will be the one that colors his professional reputation.

Also, he needs to be realistic - Ivys, MIT, etc. are extremely competitive (acceptance rate like 6%), and simply being a top-10 student at some public HS is usually not enough to get in (I have no idea about your son's qualifications).
the ivies have a great in house network for employment for grads of those schools--they tend to hire their own

while in the area might as well go to Nova too
I agree about Drexel and Penn; I don't think Nova is known for their engineering program.
Another nearby school worth a look is Delaware. Their engineering school is nationally ranked, and the out of state tuition is quite reasonable ($25K/yr)

I agree about Drexel and Penn; I don't think Nova is known for their engineering program.
Another nearby school worth a look is Delaware. Their engineering school is nationally ranked, and the out of state tuition is quite reasonable ($25K/yr)
UDel is a fun school also... from what I've heard... I have "sources"

I never took any visits and went on a whim. Times have changed.
me neither, went to the cheapest place that would take me as i was paying. of the 6yrs i went to school (includes grad school) the best two years education was at OCC,when it was downtown in the the old type writer factory

Delaware is beautiful too. Did a drive by with my older, but no swimming interest.
Is he a D-1 caliber swimmer?
My daughter competes on the UD Club swim team. The practice schedule and training regimen is less demanding than a D-1 sport (maybe not a bad idea for an engineering major), but they provide the opportunity to compete against regional schools (Maryland, Nova, JMU, etc.). They just returned from a national competition in Atlanta (Ga- Tech), in the pool where the 96 Olympics were held:
East Coast Collegiate Swim Club National Championships

Nova has one of the best engineering programs in the northeast

Here's a top 25 list I found:

Undergraduate engineering specialties:
Biomedical / Biomedical Engineering
(At schools whose highest degree is a doctorate)
Methodology
1 Johns Hopkins University (MD)
2 Duke University (NC)
3 Georgia Institute of Technology *
4 Univ. of California–San Diego *
5 University of Pennsylvania
6 Massachusetts Inst. of Technology
7 Case Western Reserve Univ. (OH)
8 Boston University
9 Rice University (TX)
9 University of Michigan–Ann Arbor *
11 Northwestern University (IL)
12 University of Washington *
13 Stanford University (CA)
14 University of California–Berkeley *
15 Vanderbilt University (TN)
16 Univ. of Wisconsin–Madison *
16 University of Virginia *
16 Washington University in St. Louis
19 Tulane University (LA)
19 University of Texas–Austin *
21 Cornell University (NY)
21 University of Utah *
23 Columbia University (NY)

HOWEVER, I also noted this response ...

There is a major difference between Biomedical Engineering and Genetic or Biological Engineering.

Biomedical engineering sometimes confusingly called bioengineering is the application of traditional engineering disciplines to medical problems without any necessary grounding in molecular life sciences.

Biological engineering on the other hand is the application of engineering principles in design, synthesis, and analysis at the genetic, molecular and cellular level to problems in many different areas including energy, the environment, drug development, agriculture, tissue engineering, nanoscale engineering of biomaterials, etc.. It is also sometimes referred to as Synthetic Biology.

Is he a D-1 caliber swimmer?
My daughter competes on the UD Club swim team. The practice schedule and training regimen is less demanding than a D-1 sport (maybe not a bad idea for an engineering major), but they provide the opportunity to compete against regional schools (Maryland, Nova, JMU, etc.). They just returned from a national competition in Atlanta (Ga- Tech), in the pool where the 96 Olympics were held:
East Coast Collegiate Swim Club National Championships
No
Had one D+1 interested/offer. Stoney Brook. Of hos progress continues his coaches hope for nationals as a senior. Only second year domg breast. Went to school at 17. Just starting to add muscle.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Seeing all the 'help' you have received, I thought I'd add my 2 cents. If you son is smart enough to be considered by U Penn and Princeton, he is probably smart enough to know that he wants a school with a program in molecular biology. U Penn, Harvard, MIT, Johns Hopkins have top programs but many lesser schools have good ones: for example, Pitt and SUNY Buffalo.

It depends on the school and what you get on the test.

A friend's son is a soph at Northwestern and took all AP classes at West Genesee. He did very well. They didn't count any of them.

My direct experience isn't really relevant, since I was in college 30 years ago.