A Little Recruiting ... | Syracusefan.com

A Little Recruiting ...

buffalorange

2nd String
Last year, SU offered Joe Licata, QB of Williamsville South. Joe ended up at UB. With Joe's graduation, the conventional wisdom was that the team would suffer from losing its record setting Div. 1 QB.

Enter Trent Ferguson, who was a junior QB at St. Joe's in Buffalo realized he would be behind Chad Kelly until both graduated, so Trent left Catholic school and is now at Will South. He seems to fit the mold of the SU qb who can both pass and run.

Ferguson has 11 passing TD's vs 2 INT's. His completion percentage is 69.6% Unlike Licata, Ferguson will run the ball and averages 4.54 yd./carry. The team is 5-0.

On the defensive side is junior DE Mark Nunziato. 6'4" 245 lb. I don't have other stats on him, but he looks pretty quick on the field. I know his Dad. Let's just say that Mark could get bigger.

Can't say either kid will pan out, but I hope they are at least on SU's radar.

Last year, SU offered Joe Licata, QB of Williamsville South. Joe ended up at UB. With Joe's graduation, the conventional wisdom was that the team would suffer from losing its record setting Div. 1 QB.

Enter Trent Ferguson, who was a junior QB at St. Joe's in Buffalo realized he would be behind Chad Kelly until both graduated, so Trent left Catholic school and is now at Will South. He seems to fit the mold of the SU qb who can both pass and run.

Ferguson has 11 passing TD's vs 2 INT's. His completion percentage is 69.6% Unlike Licata, Ferguson will run the ball and averages 4.54 yd./carry. The team is 5-0.

On the defensive side is junior DE Mark Nunziato. 6'4" 245 lb. I don't have other stats on him, but he looks pretty quick on the field. I know his Dad. Let's just say that Mark could get bigger.

Can't say either kid will pan out, but I hope they are at least on SU's radar.

Is Trent related to Joe Ferguson?

Is Trent related to Joe Ferguson?
I don't think so. They probably would have mentioned in the Buffalo News article about the team.

"Kurzanski said that Trent Ferguson, a junior transfer from St. Joe's, will likely be starting under center. He's already won the confidence of the team, taking part in offseason workouts and learning the playbook.
"Trent's coming in, he's going to throw it. Obviously, you can't replace Joe, but he's coming in and he's going to be a great QB for us," said Cody Stumpf, a senior wide receiver and safety who will be one of those stepping up to fill the void left by the graduating seniors. "We'll try to keep it up from last year. Luke's a good running back, Trent can run and throw, it changes our whole offensive game."
Ferguson knows exactly who he's replacing. He said that he can't try to be Licata and thrive.
"It's definitely a big role to fill, but I just take it day-by-day and live up to whatever I can do, play the best I can be," he said. "I'm definitely ready."
He settled in at South during the offseason, working on his drops and reads as he prepares to take over a varsity offense. Kurzanski said he likes his young quarterback and won't be afraid to put the ball in his hands this season.
"I'm definitely comfortable," Ferguson said. "Will South, everybody's like a family so it's easy to become comfortable quickly.
"I think the possibilities are endless."
Senior wideout/cornerback Billy Jacobbi also gives Ferguson a full vote of confidence.
"He already knows all the plays and stuff, he's a great quarterback," said Jacobbi, who was used to catching passes from Licata, including nine catches for 137 yards and a score in last fall's stinging, 48-15 Section VI Class A final loss to Sweet Home."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom