A Look Into ACC Competition | Syracusefan.com

A Look Into ACC Competition

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Now that recruitment is wrapped up and we are looking into the new season, who will be our main competition?

Who matches up the best against our zone and offense?

How much will the new ACC environments effect SU?

Is NC ST. and anywhere in North Carolina still a home game for SU?

Now that recruitment is wrapped up and we are looking into the new season, who will be our main competition?

The Georgia Tech $cout board did an excellent job breaking down each ACC team what they lost, what they have returning and recruiting of each team. Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, and Virginia look they have a sizable gap on the rest of the conference with Maryland, Pittsburgh looking like top 25 teams as well.

It's weird. Outside of UNC and Duke, I know next to nothing about ACC basketball teams. I never found it particularly interesting to watch. Scratch that, I know Miami will struggle having lost 6 or 7 of their top players.

In my opinion, mind you I know nothing about Virginia's team, UNC is the only ACC team that slightly worries me. This is because of there returning talent and experience.

Duke looks weak and small. I don't think they'll shoot over the zone. They are not 2012/13 IU and even that group was held 30 points below there season average against the zone.

In my opinion, mind you I know nothing about Virginia's team, UNC is the only ACC team that slightly worries me. This is because of there returning talent and experience.

Duke looks weak and small. I don't think they'll shoot over the zone. They are not 2012/13 IU and even that group was held 30 points below there season average against the zone.
Duke has Mississippi State transfer Rodney Hood who is a stud and has the 2nd best recruit in the country in Jabari Parker with Rasheed Sulamon, Quinn Cook and the big kid from Philly last year who was a freshman, and the final Plumlee brother. Duke is a top 5 team next year and the preseason ACC #1 team IMO. Syracuse/North Carolina 2-3 and Virginia 4. With Notre Dame, Pitt, Maryland 5-7

Duke has Mississippi State transfer Rodney Hood who is a stud and has the 2nd best recruit in the country in Jabari Parker with Rasheed Sulamon, Quinn Cook and the big kid from Philly last year who was a freshman, and the final Plumlee brother. Duke is a top 5 team next year and the preseason ACC #1 team IMO. Syracuse/North Carolina 2-3 and Virginia 4. With Notre Dame, Pitt, Maryland 5-7

sounds about right to me. i actually just ranked the ACC on another board and have them going Duke, Syracuse, UNC, UVa, Notre Dame, Pitt, MD, FSU, BC, Ga Tech, NC State, Miami, Wake, Clemson and Va Tech.

I just don't see them being able to hang around with tougher, more physical, bigger teams who play with a lot more heart.

I've seen it time and time again the past few years. Duke has all the talent, but frankly they're pusses.

I just don't see them being able to hang around with tougher, more physical, bigger teams who play with a lot more heart.

I've seen it time and time again the past few years. Duke has all the talent, but frankly they're pusses.
If Duke was moving to the BE instead of cuse to the ACC I'd agree with the Duke are Pusses theory. But this is their league with refs calling Duke ball and Duke brand fouls for decades now.

They might not be shaping up to be a powerhouse, but don't kid yourself, it will be a surprise to find them outside the top 2-3 teams in the conference or outside the top 10 in the human/computer rankings.

Duke will be very strong on the perimeter next year. Sulaimon will be 1st team All-ACC, and all reports were that Rodney Hood was the best player in practice all last year. Cook is a good (not great) experienced PG and there's depth - including Andre Dawkins, who returns after a year off for personal reasons, and is capable of going off for 20 points in 14 minutes.

The frontcourt, however, is going to limit. We hear good things about Marshall Plumlee, but Coach K didn't trust him all year and now he's chasing Tariq Black (Memphis grad with year of eligibility), so he must not be comfortable with Plumlee.

Duke will run and press more than the last 2 years, and play 8 or 9. But I don't know who's going to rebound. JabariParker might have to play big?

The two matchups against the Syracuse zone are going to be really fun.

Duke will be very strong on the perimeter next year. Sulaimon will be 1st team All-ACC, and all reports were that Rodney Hood was the best player in practice all last year. Cook is a good (not great) experienced PG and there's depth - including Andre Dawkins, who returns after a year off for personal reasons, and is capable of going off for 20 points in 14 minutes.

The frontcourt, however, is going to limit. We hear good things about Marshall Plumlee, but Coach K didn't trust him all year and now he's chasing Tariq Black (Memphis grad with year of eligibility), so he must not be comfortable with Plumlee.

Duke will run and press more than the last 2 years, and play 8 or 9. But I don't know who's going to rebound. JabariParker might have to play big?

The two matchups against the Syracuse zone are going to be really fun.

What are you expecting out of Hariston?

What will your starting 5 look like Cook Sulaimon Hood Parker Hariston/Plumlee...Obv. gwtiing Black will probably shake things up more.

This won't be the sexy pick, but until I see us beat them on a regular basis agian I believe Pitt will continue to give us fits. Dixon has the zone figured out, and they often beat it without shooting over the top of it.

Agreed. Duke will be really strong on the perimeter and they have athletes. Enough to give us plenty of problems. I am probably more concerned about handling their on the ball pressure. You could still probably throw NC State potentially in that next group of ND/Maryland/Pitt with the talent they have coming in.

What are you expecting out of Hariston?

What will your starting 5 look like Cook Sulaimon Hood Parker Hariston/Plumlee...Obv. gwtiing Black will probably shake things up more.

Amile Jefferson was playing pretty well towards the end of the season. Duke will be very good, obviously.

Hairston will get minutes up front, particularly if Tariq Black goes elsewhere, which he probably will.

Hairston = 5 fouls. Plays hard. He's not a great rebounder, which Duke will need. Hands of stone.

I think you're right about the starting 5: Cook, Sulaimon, Hood, Parker and ... probably MP3 although coach K will will use that 5th starting position to motivate Jefferson and Hairston. Tyler Thornton will get some starts too. K loves him.

It will interesting to see how Jefferson and Alex Murphy develop. Murphy shows flashes but will be buried in depth next year.

Duke could win the national championship next year. Depends on development of Cook and Plumlee. More likely Elite 8.

Hairston will get minutes up front, particularly if Tariq Black goes elsewhere, which he probably will.

Hairston = 5 fouls. Plays hard. He's not a great rebounder, which Duke will need. Hands of stone.

I think you're right about the starting 5: Cook, Sulaimon, Hood, Parker and ... probably MP3 although coach K will will use that 5th starting position to motivate Jefferson and Hairston. Tyler Thornton will get some starts too. K loves him.

It will interesting to see how Jefferson and Alex Murphy develop. Murphy shows flashes but will be buried in depth next year.

Duke could win the national championship next year. Depends on development of Cook and Plumlee. More likely Elite 8.

You guys got a very good looking team, and a deep one at that.

Curious what you think of Gbinije?