A main reason we can't score... | Syracusefan.com

A main reason we can't score...

BostonOrange

2nd String
...is that we are a lousy passing team. We average 12.6 assets per game. That is the fewest we have had in many years. We have cracked double figures in assists once in the last 5 games. Grant is 2nd on the team in assists with a robust 1.4 a game. Last year we were not very good either but we averaged 14.6 as a team. Wes' year we averaged 20 and had 6 guys were above 1.4 (no wonder that team was fun to watch). CJ and Cooney have 12 assists combined in the last 8 games. They have played about 560 minutes in those games, that is an assist every 46 minutes or so.

Now...one could argue whether we don't get assists because we miss the shots, or vice versa, but the eye test tells me that no one on the team aside from Ennis can create for anyone other than themselves. And really they can't do that either - we have a bunch of guys that can be excellent finishers but need to be set up. CJ can create his shot to an extent but I wouldn't say it is his specialty.

So...what can we do? I don't think we are going to all of the sudden have a bunch of great passers so we need to 1. not turn the ball over 2. attack the offensive glass 3. take care of our defensive backboard and 4. somehow get out on the break a bit. 5. Having Trevor get warm wouldn't hurt either...

and a main reason we have so few assists is we dont make shots. when you score in the 50s every damn game youre not gonna have alot of assists.

Only person who can create for others is Ennis. Our other starting guard averages less than two assists a game, I believe. That's crazy.

Only person who can create for others is Ennis. Our other starting guard averages less than two assists a game, I believe. That's crazy.

Well, given that TE has the ball more than 6 times more than TC, wouldn't that make sense?

Well, given that TE has the ball more than 6 times more than TC, wouldn't that make sense?
But that is kind of the point...he doesn't have the ball in his hands because he can't make plays with it. That isn't meant to be harsh it is just reality - offensively he is a one dimensional shooter at this point.

and a main reason we have so few assists is we dont make shots. when you score in the 50s every damn game youre not gonna have alot of assists.

We also don't have anybody really set up teammates to make shots other than Ennis. It's all about one on one this year, unless it's a pass to Cooney or G behind the arc.

We rarely do lobs or dump offs, so the only assists are going to the guys coming off screens for 3's. Otherwise, whoever catches a pass just takes their man one on one and dribbles for 10 seconds before a shot attempt. Can't get an assist in one on one.

At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing Coleman out there to get some dump offs around the rim. At least he could make space for himself to get a decent pass and shot in the paint. Something we rarely get as a team this year.

If you think we can't score this year, just wait til next year.

We also don't have anybody really set up teammates to make shots other than Ennis. It's all about one on one this year, unless it's a pass to Cooney or G behind the arc.

We rarely do lobs or dump offs, so the only assists are going to the guys coming off screens for 3's. Otherwise, whoever catches a pass just takes their man one on one and dribbles for 10 seconds before a shot attempt. Can't get an assist in one on one.

At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing Coleman out there to get some dump offs around the rim. At least he could make space for himself to get a decent pass and shot in the paint. Something we rarely get as a team this year.

ding ding ding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom