A new job for Daryl Gross? | Syracusefan.com

A new job for Daryl Gross?

Gross did a good job in building the non-revenue sports and I give him credit for trying to get football back to where it belongs, though his choices did not pan out. I appreciate his time here overall and if he so chooses to leave the Orange family, I wish him well. He made mistakes (large staff, overspending) but he did more good than bad and wise enough to see that the Big East was not the proper place to be long term. He certainly moved Syracuse sports solidly into the 21st century.

Agree. If he would have nailed that first football hire, his dream of going back to USC may have come true. Olympic sports at SU are thriving.

CTO. any info on why the lovely dr. rene left us ? i miss seeing her nestled down courtside by the opponents bench. better position or better weather ?
i truly wish her the best.

Last edited:
CTO. any info on why the lovely dr. rene left us ? i miss seeing her nestled down courtside by the opponents bench. better position or better weather ?
i truly wish her the best.

Pretty sure she was named the AD at Santa Clara, so I guess it's both

He killed it with the non revenue sports. That's for sure.

That being said, after following the Dino Babers saga, I have newfound appreciation for how badly we botched things with PPs firing and subsequent coaching search.

He killed it with the non revenue sports. That's for sure.

That being said, after following the Dino Babers saga, I have newfound appreciation for how badly we botched things with PPs firing and subsequent coaching search.

Yes he did--but he spent too much money to accomplish it, like a drunken sailor.

And his football hires were generally poor [2 out of 3 failing doesn't cut the mustard], and the first one ran the program into the ground. I appreciate some of the things he did well, but I'm happy that we have an AD who seems more professional and geared up for the challenges of the job than Gross.

I will help him pack his bags.

p16718219dt.jpg

Yes he did--but he spent too much money to accomplish it, like a drunken sailor.

And his football hires were generally poor [2 out of 3 failing doesn't cut the mustard], and the first one ran the program into the ground. I appreciate some of the things he did well, but I'm happy that we have an AD who seems more professional and geared up for the challenges of the job than Gross.

I agree re: spending. But his failure to get football right makes it a moot point anyway.

You had ONE JOB Darryl!

Not sure Gross had the $ for his FB hires, and he didn't have the IPF.

Not sure Gross had the $ for his FB hires, and he didn't have the IPF.

Valid points. But I think [believe] that Doc had it correct above--Gross's primary "job" was to get football right. He failed at that, in the main. Yes, he had success with the olympic sports, which is admirable and fun, but doing so necessitated him spending way over market at a time when we were financially challenged.

Thankfully, those aren't our circumstances anymore as a function of ACC revenue sharing.

Gross did some very good things as Syracuse's AD. He also had some inexcusable gaffes, and didn't run a very tight ship. Mixed bag--at best, and probably trending towards a poor tenure given the state of affairs in football for the majority of his tenure, and the results of the NCAA investigation / sanctions. Even factoring in all of the challenges / obstacles.

Gross did a good job in building the non-revenue sports and I give him credit for trying to get football back to where it belongs, though his choices did not pan out. I appreciate his time here overall and if he so chooses to leave the Orange family, I wish him well. He made mistakes (large staff, overspending) but he did more good than bad and wise enough to see that the Big East was not the proper place to be long term. He certainly moved Syracuse sports solidly into the 21st century.
Agree with all of this. I think being AD is tough in that he has to care about the non-revenue sports when a very small percentage of the fans do. Sometimes I feel like there should be one AD for football, basketball, and lacrosse and one for the other sports.

The fact that his bonus money was tied to Olympic sports just goes to show how the previous regime cared about football. I don't really blame him all that much. If he can make more money using funds for tennis them football then why should he care.

Digger said:
Pretty sure she was named the AD at Santa Clara, so I guess it's both

Correct. Had a nice chat with her in Houston during the FF. She just hired Herb Sendek as her hoop coach.

TGD AD tree seems to be doing well. Scott Sidwell is doing great as the AD at San Francisco and Mark Jackson's first year as AD at Villanova is obviously off to a good start.

The fact that his bonus money was tied to Olympic sports just goes to show how the previous regime cared about football. I don't really blame him all that much. If he can make more money using funds for tennis them football then why should he care.
It allowed him to buy those fancy suits, while not having to worry about the trivial aspects of his job.

Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 10.14.07 AM.png

Last edited:
Lynn Swann named USC AD. 64 years old and no experience in college athletic admin. Maybe Gross has another shot in a few years.

Yes, he had success with the olympic sports, which is admirable and fun, but doing so necessitated him spending way over market at a time when we were financially challenged.

Thankfully, those aren't our circumstances anymore as a function of ACC revenue sharing.
Did he lock down any of those non-revenue coaches to long-term contracts during his spending spree? If so, and given our new $$, do some of them look like better deals at the current market rates or going forward? Aside from the tennis guy, I'm not sure who's cashed out and left vs who's still around.

I believe the move to the ACC was announced around the beginning of the 2011 school year/football season. I recall talking about the move at the USC game in LA. How much time Gross spent working on the move before the 2011 announcement I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure it took years not months. Anyway, as of September of 2011 Gross had good reason to spend (perhaps even earlier than that), and with Olympic Sports he simply knocked the ball out of the park. He would have been unwise to not spend knowing that the ACC money was coming down the line.

Last edited: