A peek at the non conference schedule | Syracusefan.com

A peek at the non conference schedule

Orangezoo

In the wind
So now that the season is upon us I started poking around our opponents. While our non conference slate lacks punch it also isn't the pastry filled buffet I thought either.

Lehigh- picked third in Patriot league and return their top scorer 6-6 guard Taylor. Quite a few kids coming back this year as they are expected to compete for the Patriot league title.

Colgate- again picked to win the Patriot league. Gone are Ferguson and Cummings who lit us up last year. Back is Patriot PS POY 6-5 Richardson. Added some transfers who can shoot it and return solid size and production in the front court.

Northeastern- God awful 2-16 in conference last year. That said they return much of their core and are picked to finish 6th in the CAA. Probably weakest of our first 3 games.

Richmond- Returns their top scorer and some other key guys. Lost second leading scorer and their all league PG which is a big loss. Picked to finish 5th in the A10 so not a push over. Their two losses cut deep and actually think 5th might be a stretch. Gilyard was a good PG.

Temple or St Johns- Temple brings back a finally healthy Khalif Battle who was lights out before he got hurt. This Temple team was 17-12 last year and is predicted 5th in the AAC but could be dangerous with a healthy battle plus other key returnees. Reminds me of another Temple team led by Khalif Wyatt that got us almost a decade ago. The Johnnies lost Champagnie and his 19.2 pts a game. They return defensive dynamo Posh Alexander but are a middle of the BE team. Prefer the Johnnies in the title game for a little revenge.

Bryant- likely a favorite to win the NEC. Returning Charles Pride, added a major transfer haul including Earl Timberlake from Miami , Doug Edert from the St Peter's NCAA Cinderella, Gross-Bullock from Lasalle who was 6th man of the year in the A10 in 20-21, Antwan Walker who averaged 7.5 a game at URI, and Chauncey Hawkins second team all NEC at St Francis in 20-21. Hard to say how good with so many new pieces but they have players

Illinois- hard to gauge even though they bring in 2 really good transfers and a really strong frosh class. Lots of talent though and they dumped the turnover machine Curbelo to St Johns.

Oakland- team has very little size but definite talent in the backcourt including transfer Rocket Watts from Michigan State. Picked to finish top 5 in the Horizon.

Gtown- game we can't lose period. Again predicted bottom of the barrel in the BE.

Cornell- hard to say here. Some think they will compete for Ivy title others not so much. They return some of last year's team but lost a couple of their top players. Added a big freshman class.

Monmouth- easily the tastiest pastry on the schedule as they lost their entire starting lineup. Not expected to do much this year in their new conference, the CAA.

This is one of those schedules that bites you hard if you really lose to anyone outside Illinois but can be sneaky good numbers wise given the number of mid and low majors we play that will compete for the auto bid in their leagues. That also means a couple slip ups and you have teams that know how to win and take advantage.

Last edited:
So now that the season is upon us I started poking around our opponents. While our non conference slate lacks punch it also isn't the pastry filled buffet I thought either.

Lehigh- picked third in Patriot league and return their top scorer 6-6 guard Taylor. Quite a few kids coming back this year as they are expected to compete for the Patriot league title.

Colgate- again picked to win the Patriot league. Gone are Ferguson and Cummings who lit us up last year. Back is Patriot PS POY 6-5 Richardson. Added some transfers who can shoot it and return solid size and production in the front court.

Northeastern- God awful 2-16 in conference last year. That said they return much of their core and are picked to finish 6th in the CAA. Probably weakest of our first 3 games.

Richmond- Returns their top scorer and some other key guys. Lost second leading scorer and their all league PG which is a big loss. Picked to finish 5th in the A10 so not a push over. Their two losses cut deep and actually think 5th might be a stretch. Gilyard was a good PG.

Temple or St Johns- Temple brings back a finally healthy Khalif Battle who was lights out before he got hurt. This Temple team was 17-12 last year and is predicted 5th in the AAC but could be dangerous with a healthy battle plus other key returnees. Reminds me of another Temple team led by Khalif Wyatt that got us almost a decade ago. The Johnnies lost Champagnie and his 19.2 pts a game. They return defensive dynamo Posh Alexander but are a middle of the BE team. Prefer the Johnnies in the title game for a little revenge.

Bryant- likely a favorite to win the NEC. Returning Charles Pride, added a major transfer haul including Earl Timberlake from Miami , Doug Edert from the St Peter's NCAA Cinderella, Gross-Bullock from Lasalle who was 6th man of the year in the A10 in 20-21, Antwan Walker who averaged 7.5 a game at URI, and Chauncey Hawkins second team all NEC at St Francis in 20-21. Hard to say how good with so many new pieces but they have players

Illinois- hard to gauge even though they bring in 2 really good transfers and a really strong frosh class. Lots of talent though and they dumped the turnover machine Curbelo to St Johns.

Oakland- team has very little size but definite talent in the backcourt including transfer Rocket Watts from Michigan State. Picked to finish top 5 in the Horizon.

Gtown- game we can't lose period. Again predicted bottom of the barrel in the BE.

Cornell- hard to say here. Some think they will compete for Ivy title others not so much. They return some of last year's team but lost a couple of their top players. Added a big freshman class.

Monmouth- easily the tastiest pastry on the schedule as they lost their entire starting lineup. Not expected to do much this year in their new conference, the CAA.

This is one of those schedules that bites you hard if you really lose to anyone outside Illinois but can be sneaky good numbers wise given the number of mid and low majors we play that will compete for the auto bid in their leagues. That also means a couple slip ups and you have teams that know how to win and take advantage.
thanks for this!

Good post. Not sure what to make of it. I'd think it really comes down to how consistent this team is early. Young kids typically can be up and down. We should be fine talent-wise vs these teams, but frosh PG, bunch of new faces ... can be tricky against well-coached teams that have nothing to lose.

Good post. Not sure what to make of it. I'd think it really comes down to how consistent this team is early. Young kids typically can be up and down. We should be fine talent-wise vs these teams, but frosh PG, bunch of new faces ... can be tricky against well-coached teams that have nothing to lose.

I was more just sharing what I found. It's hard to say as a number of teams are unknowns given attrition and previous injuries.

I was more just sharing what I found. It's hard to say as a number of teams are unknowns given attrition and previous injuries.
Agreed. Appreciate the info. Will be interesting to watch.

Thanks for the post good stuff!

I want to order Blue Ribbon and their website says that it will ship 'sometime in October' the download is no good to me I want a physical copy to read outside on my deck.

Curbelo and Posh would give Girard and Mintz hell.

Would be a huge test vs 2 very good veterans

Might be a tad harder than it looks based on rep...but still can't imagine a non-conf schedule being much easier than this...hopefully the team emerges from this gauntlet with a gaudy record...about time the team makes some noise in pre-season...

Seems to me that there are challenging games, and some forgiving ones. Not too much of a gauntlet to start with. I think it's a fair challenge.

Great post.

In regards to your last paragraph, man how I miss those days of yesteryear when we typically would go through our first 10 or so games OOC and it almost being a sure thing of starting 10-11,12 and O or 1 loss and being ranked in the Top 15, etc.

It's apparent, IMO, that even with a schedule like this, just how evident it has become in how we have adjusted our expectations of what Syracuse basketball seemingly is nowadays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom