A Positive Outlook From the Loss vs Louisville | Syracusefan.com

A Positive Outlook From the Loss vs Louisville

cuse522

2nd String
I know people are down after the Louisville loss, but I saw a lot of positives to take out of that game. I view this team a lot like last year's... They're gelling and coming together at the right time, and if they get into the dance nobody will want to play them. I saw a team that had no quit whatsoever. Twice, I don't think we could have blamed them for quitting - the first time they got it to OT and had a shot to win it in regulation. The second time, they almost did it again. That never-say-die spirit is critical in March.

The last possession of regulation was frustrating, but the play call was fine with me... Gillon had a mismatch, he's a great free throw shooter, and I would have sent him down the lane looking for contact - especially given how poorly the team was shooting from the floor. If I am questioning Boeheim on anything in that game, it's how he didn't find 2-3 minutes to rest Gillon, Lydon and/or White. At the end of that stretch of games, getting those guys one break per half (30 seconds on either side of a media timeout, for example) could be huge.

Anyway, with that said, there's one improvement that I think the team is finally coming around on that could make all the difference... The defense. Boeheim was still down on the D last night, saying they can never get a stop when they need it - which may be true - but overall, I saw improvements.

Louisville shot 41% from the floor and under 31% from three. Those numbers match the season averages 'Cuse allowed last year. That also kept UL well below its averages... In conference play, they'd been averaging 46% from the floor and 38% from three.

I felt that the zone looked a little more active at times, and in particular I noticed White looking better in the zone than I thought he did the last few games.

If this team can become even mediocre defensively by SU standards, they could be an extremely tough out in the tournament. In particular, the ability to shut a team down for 4-6 minute stretches can do so much in the postseason as pressure mounts... That happened once or twice against Louisville.

One key, IMO, will be whether or not Boeheim has a willingness to go into the full court press earlier in games for 3-4 possessions if the zone is breaking down. It's a way to take the opponent out of their comfort zone, catch them off guard, and build a little momentum to get the energy back up on the defensive end.

It's a tough ask to get a team with one-and-done fifth year guys playing key roles to have a good 2-3 zone in this system (which will be an important consideration going forward into future years), but it may happen just in time.

Of course, they have to get into the tournament for it to matter... But, I'm optimistic despite the loss, and if this team makes the field of 64, nobody is going to want to play them the first two weekends.

The last sentence is exactly why this loss hurts. We were so close to stealing this one, which would have helped the tourney chances tremendously. You can't be a sleeper in the dance if you don't make the dance (how's that for a statement?). Last night we had a big time chance, and it stings we missed it.

I actually feel better about our possibility of winning 3 of the next 4 than I did before the Louisville game. Just adding an extra body will help is a great deal. Our defence was good, we were gritty, and the rebounding help up for the first 70% of the game.

A big caveat to the above statement -- It would also be much easier to only have to win 2 of the next 4 games. Last night was a major opportunity lost.

The last sentence is exactly why this loss hurts. We were so close to stealing this one, which would have helped the tourney chances tremendously. You can't be a sleeper in the dance if you don't make the dance (how's that for a statement?). Last night we had a big time chance, and it stings we missed it.
This years cliche seems to be true: at home our D looks pretty good, on the road not so much. The big question is on a neutral court how will the D perform?? I hope last years performance in the first 4 ncaa games (giving up on ave ~56 pts/game) give us some sort of an indication of what JB is capable of with this group

I actually feel better about our possibility of winning 3 of the next 4 than I did before the Louisville game. Just adding an extra body will help is a great deal. Our defence was good, we were gritty, and the rebounding help up for the first 70% of the game.

A big caveat to the above statement -- It would also be much easier to only have to win 2 of the next 4 games. Last night was a major opportunity lost.
I dont know about feeling better about our chances after 2 losses. I get what you mean but this teams warts keep resurfacing, if it all possible it would be nice if some of the warts disappeared for good. Ie its interesting both JG and AW had the opportunity for the extra pass at a very critical juncture and they both "passed" on that opp. This team should really study the tape of Gillon to Lydon to Battle against clemson more closely imo. Thats how you make a big shot, ie an extra pass

I know people are down after the Louisville loss, but I saw a lot of positives to take out of that game. I view this team a lot like last year's... They're gelling and coming together at the right time, and if they get into the dance nobody will want to play them. I saw a team that had no quit whatsoever. Twice, I don't think we could have blamed them for quitting - the first time they got it to OT and had a shot to win it in regulation. The second time, they almost did it again. That never-say-die spirit is critical in March.

The last possession of regulation was frustrating, but the play call was fine with me... Gillon had a mismatch, he's a great free throw shooter, and I would have sent him down the lane looking for contact - especially given how poorly the team was shooting from the floor. If I am questioning Boeheim on anything in that game, it's how he didn't find 2-3 minutes to rest Gillon, Lydon and/or White. At the end of that stretch of games, getting those guys one break per half (30 seconds on either side of a media timeout, for example) could be huge.

Anyway, with that said, there's one improvement that I think the team is finally coming around on that could make all the difference... The defense. Boeheim was still down on the D last night, saying they can never get a stop when they need it - which may be true - but overall, I saw improvements.

Louisville shot 41% from the floor and under 31% from three. Those numbers match the season averages 'Cuse allowed last year. That also kept UL well below its averages... In conference play, they'd been averaging 46% from the floor and 38% from three.

I felt that the zone looked a little more active at times, and in particular I noticed White looking better in the zone than I thought he did the last few games.

If this team can become even mediocre defensively by SU standards, they could be an extremely tough out in the tournament. In particular, the ability to shut a team down for 4-6 minute stretches can do so much in the postseason as pressure mounts... That happened once or twice against Louisville.

One key, IMO, will be whether or not Boeheim has a willingness to go into the full court press earlier in games for 3-4 possessions if the zone is breaking down. It's a way to take the opponent out of their comfort zone, catch them off guard, and build a little momentum to get the energy back up on the defensive end.

It's a tough ask to get a team with one-and-done fifth year guys playing key roles to have a good 2-3 zone in this system (which will be an important consideration going forward into future years), but it may happen just in time.

Of course, they have to get into the tournament for it to matter... But, I'm optimistic despite the loss, and if this team makes the field of 64, nobody is going to want to play them the first two weekends.
This is a really nice post and I welcome the positive outlook.

What an exciting game against a top ten opponent. Really good points all around. Thanks for pointing out the d %.

Post more

Good post.

Our margins are razor thin at this point.

It is going to be touch and go now through selection sunday.

This is a really nice post and I welcome the positive outlook.

What an exciting game against a top ten opponent. Really good points all around. Thanks for pointing out the d %.

Post more

Thanks... Unfortunately I don't get to watch nearly as many games as I'd like, which is why I tend to show up and post this time of year through the end of the tourney. Perhaps now that I've figured out WatchESPN I'll be able to watch more early season games and be more active on here.

Good post.

Our margins are razor thin at this point.

It is going to be touch and go now through selection sunday.

Thanks! Your point about our margins is very accurate - both on the court and on the bubble. The difference in one or two players performing better in the zone/rebounding (White/Gillon/Battle in the zone and Roberson/White on the boards) and in one game here or there the rest of the way will make a massive difference. If White and Gillon produced one extra steal per game between them and Roberson averaged 10 rebounds per game the rest of the way (he averaged 11.2 in the tourney last year), that's probably worth one extra win in the regular season.

I dont know about feeling better about our chances after 2 losses. I get what you mean but this teams warts keep resurfacing, if it all possible it would be nice if some of the warts disappeared for good. Ie its interesting both JG and AW had the opportunity for the extra pass at a very critical juncture and they both "passed" on that opp. This team should really study the tape of Gillon to Lydon to Battle against clemson more closely imo. Thats how you make a big shot, ie an extra pass

I agree on 2 losses being tough but we were basically without Battle for the last 3 games. Right at a time when he was coming on really strong.

I think this week off is major for us. I will be feeling a ton better if we can win this next one on the road. Based on nothing objective I think we'll give Duke a real run for their money in the dome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom