A question for those who were there | Syracusefan.com

A question for those who were there

SWC75

Bored Historian
I'm reading JB"s book and have gotten to his descritpion of the 2003 naitonal champinship game.

"And there's something else. Lee took the shot from the same spot in the Superdome where Keith Smart had beaten us in 1987."

My memory of those games is that Smart's shot was the same spot in relation to the basket as Lee's shot but it was on the other end of the court and thus in a different spot in the Superdome.

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Was it truly the same spot in the Superdome with the TV camera on the other side of the court or was it a spot on the other side of the court that was the same spot in relation to that basket? Also: was the corut situated in the same spot in the Dome?

I've also thought that Warrick got two blocks at the end of that game. His block of Lee's shot went out of bounds. Kansas inbounded to Kirk Hinrich, an excellent shooter who went up with the ball. Warrick rushed at him and got hit long arm up. Hinrich's shot never got close to the basket and Keith Duany pulled it down in celebration. That was the actual end of the game. I always thought Hak must have gotten a finger on that one, too. What do you think?

Second answer first. Hak didn't touch the ball.

As to your first question, unless they moved which end of the Dome the bball court was placed, it had to be opposite ends. Vs Indiana I was in the bleacher section court side and smarts shot was to my left. For the Kansas game I was again court side but in the regular some seats across from the bleachers. Lees shot was to my left.

huh... interesting. I always assumed and heard many times the 2 shots were from the same side of the court.

I don't think I've ever seen the 2 pics together like that with the reference.

I was at the kansas game, in the corner where Lee shot, I saw the court perfectly. I'll never forget that experience.

Now I'm having 2nd thoughts as to whether smarts shot was to my left or right as I sat in the bleacher section.

Ok, it's clear now as you made me relive that shot. I go back to my original post. The 2 shots were at opposite ends of the court unless they moved which end of the dome they were using.

OrangeXtreme said:
Smart's shot was at the Girod Street end of the Superdome. You can clear see Sec 116 in the background: Hak's block was at the Poydras Street end.

Thanks. I thought I was right unless they did a reconfig if court location. I hate thinking about that game though. Had great seats and had our plan all set to get on the court even though security was surrounding it. We were going right between Doug Logan and his side kick and over their table. Seats were right behind the ncaa coaches seats. Had Calhoun, Cremona and Gary Williams right in front of us. When DC went to the line to shoot ft's, Williams turned around and asked me if DC was a good foul shooter considering the situation.

Thanks. I thought I was right unless they did a reconfig if court location. I hate thinking about that game though. Had great seats and had our plan all set to get on the court even though security was surrounding it. We were going right between Doug Logan and his side kick and over their table. Seats were right behind the ncaa coaches seats. Had Calhoun, Cremona and Gary Williams right in front of us. When DC went to the line to shoot ft's, Williams turned around and asked me if DC was a good foul shooter considering the situation.

not as cool as what could have been for you... but after Duany caught the Hinrich 3, I literally picked my 12 yr old brother over my mom and dad and we sprinted down the concourse (literally the only people to in the concourse) down the stairs and into the 1st level. I somehow immediately found my uncle who had driven down by himself on Sunday and scalped a seat for face value (i think $75) from a coach (The guy wanted to find a fan, and then begged my uncle not to resell it for any reason) and then proceeded to get to his seat to find another coach in his seat who was sitting next to an old buddy who offered him an upgrade only to get to that upgrade to find another coach sitting in his seat with an old buddy who offered him his seat about 15 rows up at the FT line (FOR $75!). Anyway, I found him and the 3 of us made our way down to the 2nd row for the award ceremony... i walked over to the CBS set and right before they played 1 shining moment you could see me on tv jumping up to get my Cuse hat on camera. Walked back to my uncle to watch 1 shining moment on the big screen and he taps my on the shoulder and points out that we are standing directly behind Sandy Koufax who stayed for the whole ceremony. Not a Cuse fan, but just a sports fan respecting the moment. Really cool.

Then walked up and down Bourbon street as a 17 yr old drinking hurricanes and tall beers. Met up with JB's daughter and got to hang with most of the players with the exception of Melo :(

CusefanATL said:
not as cool as what could have been for you... but after Duany caught the Hinrich 3, I literally picked my 12 yr old brother over my mom and dad and we sprinted down the concourse (literally the only people to in the concourse) down the stairs and into the 1st level. I somehow immediately found my uncle who had driven down by himself on Sunday and scalped a seat for face value (i think $75) from a coach (The guy wanted to find a fan, and then begged my uncle not to resell it for any reason) and then proceeded to get to his seat to find another coach in his seat who was sitting next to an old buddy who offered him an upgrade only to get to that upgrade to find another coach sitting in his seat with an old buddy who offered him his seat about 15 rows up at the FT line (FOR $75!). Anyway, I found him and the 3 of us made our way down to the 2nd row for the award ceremony... i walked over to the CBS set and right before they played 1 shining moment you could see me on tv jumping up to get my Cuse hat on camera. Walked back to my uncle to watch 1 shining moment on the big screen and he taps my on the shoulder and points out that we are standing directly behind Sandy Koufax who stayed for the whole ceremony. Not a Cuse fan, but just a sports fan respecting the moment. Really cool. Then walked up and down Bourbon street as a 17 yr old drinking hurricanes and tall beers. Met up with JB's daughter and got to hang with most of the players with the exception of Melo :(

Cool story. I'm thinking you probably weren't hanging with Jeremy either.

Cool story. I'm thinking you probably weren't hanging with Jeremy either.

He was ironically hanging with some of my future Frat brothers in a small dark room for most of the night.

I had a feeling my question would bring back some good memories. ;)

(I still think Hinrich doesn't miss by that much without some help. :rolleyes: )

I had a feeling my question would bring back some good memories. ;)

(I still think Hinrich doesn't miss by that much without some help. :rolleyes: )

Great post.

I was convinced Hinrich's shot from the top of the key, I believe on Kansas' possession before the Michael Lee one, was dropping. That was a great look.

When DC went to the line to shoot ft's, Williams turned around and asked me if DC was a good foul shooter considering the situation.

What did you say? Can you even write what you said afterwards?:rolleyes:

Smart's shot was closer to the basket and further from the baseline.

I'm reading JB"s book and have gotten to his descritpion of the 2003 naitonal champinship game.

"And there's something else. Lee took the shot from the same spot in the Superdome where Keith Smart had beaten us in 1987."

My memory of those games is that Smart's shot was the same spot in relation to the basket as Lee's shot but it was on the other end of the court and thus in a different spot in the Superdome.

Oakland said:
Smart's shot was closer to the basket and further from the baseline.

I don't remember my exact words buy it was something like DC being a cocky confident kid and he'd make them.

I don't remember my exact words buy it was something like DC being a cocky confident kid and he'd make them.
You were right , up until the last three words of your sentence. Can't believe he missed that one and one . Oh Lord

OburgOrange said:
You were right , up until the last three words of your sentence. Can't believe he missed that one and one . Oh Lord

Broke my heart. Logan would have never known what hit him as I used his shoulders to leap frog him.

I remember screaming - "you fouled the wrong guy. You fouled the MVP".
I never blamed DC for that loss. If our Senior Co-Captain hits his FTs on the previous possession, DC's do not matter.
19 rebounds was epic.
Anybody else notice all the mistakes in Bleeding? Easy stuff that JB certainly would correct (if he read the book)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom