A Rule Change I am Ready for | Syracusefan.com

A Rule Change I am Ready for

javadoc

All American
In general. A legal tackle requires the use of hands and arms to wrap up. If you're lining up and unloading on someone, throwing a shoulder, forearm shivers, whatever the hell, it's akin to targeting, regardless of what part of them you hit. Enough trying to "light people up". Enough. Low threshold for ejection on it, too.

I'll never understand why guys on defense can tackle below the knee but it's a chop block on offense. Lequint has come close to having his knees blown out on several occasions this season with guys tackling just below his knee caps or just spearing in that location.

I'll never understand why guys on defense can tackle below the knee but it's a chop block on offense. Lequint has come close to having his knees blown out on several occasions this season with guys tackling just below his knee caps or just spearing in that location.
It’s a chop block if the player is already being blocked by another. I think it is limited to line play, but I may be wrong

It’s a chop block if the player is already being blocked by another. I think it is limited to line play, but I may be wrong
I think that might be accurate, but the same rule doesn't apply to two tacklers. Its pretty much the same thing in terms of safety.

Why can’t the offense be called for targeting? Running backs and quarterback sneak do it all the time.

In general. A legal tackle requires the use of hands and arms to wrap up. If you're lining up and unloading on someone, throwing a shoulder, forearm shivers, whatever the hell, it's akin to targeting, regardless of what part of them you hit. Enough trying to "light people up". Enough. Low threshold for ejection on it, too.
So you're advocating for rugby style tackling.

I think it would be safer.