A Salute to Tyus Battle and Rak | Syracusefan.com

A Salute to Tyus Battle and Rak

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Two players that deserved better final campaigns. There’s still a very small shot we make the tournament, and I know Rak tasted multiple March runs himself. But these two guys really stick out as players who gave it their all in their final year despite teams that were massively struggling for different reasons.

Yes, I’m in the boat that tyus will elect to get evaluated and will receive great reviews and a mid-late first round pick.

This whole season was an UNSELFISH NBA tryout for Tyus. Our offense forced him to score, game in and game out, taking pro level shots and creating like only a pro could. It doesnt show in the standings, and he had his mistakes but this kid’s going to get all the reviews Malachi and others did I’m sure.

His family and him have been working towards the pro’s and a successful life for a very long time. I’ll respect and support whatever measured and thought-out decision they will make.

Felt for RAK. He owned the paint in the ACC that year and didn't even get a shot to lead the team into the tourney. He really got a raw deal. If Tyus cant get the bad taste out of his mouth...he could still come back.

Tyus absolutely could still come back. I believe he’s in a unique situation where his stock could improve if he does. But its all about how he’s evaluated if he chooses to be.

If he does come back, we have our most talented team since like Ennis’ team imo.

Rak was a senior. Tyus is a sophomore and the pity party for him is frankly kind of annoying IMO. If it matters that much to him, he’s got two more years to change it.

And I have a ton of respect for Battle and think he’s played well and done all he could do this season. But his circumstances are nowhere near Rak’s...a guy who came here when everything is good, and then played on a team that self-banned from the tourney in his senior year.

It’d be the most dominant zone team we have ever had.

Yup. Potentially an outstanding offensive team too, depending on how well Carey and Bazley play and how much Howard, Brissett, Marek, and Sidibe improve. It would be the first SU team in a long time where potentially everything is present - outside shooters, guys who can drive and score, guys who can get out in transition, ball handlers, and maybe even a low post scorer or two.

Rak was a senior. Tyus is a sophomore and the pity party for him is frankly kind of annoying IMO. If it matters that much to him, he’s got two more years to change it.

And I have a ton of respect for Battle and think he’s played well and done all he could do this season. But his circumstances are nowhere near Rak’s...a guy who came here when everything is good, and then played on a team that self-banned from the tourney in his senior year.

Pity party? Hard to say a guy can just return if he’s provided potentially his only shot to make millions playing the sport he loves.

I dont think his circumstances are like raks either. I mentioned their teams struggled for different reasons. However I still believe its a shame we had such a talent on a team with such shallow depth as this years. Just seems like a rare talent that was never allowed to fully flourish due to various reasons.

Pity party? Hard to say a guy can just return if he’s provided potentially his only shot to make millions playing the sport he loves.

I dont think his circumstances are like raks either. I mentioned their teams struggled for different reasons. However I still believe its a shame we had such a talent on a team with such shallow depth as this years. Just seems like a rare talent that was never allowed to fully flourish due to various reasons.

If Tyus is in a position to make millions next year, then nobody’s got anything to feel bad about, lol.

I hear you...he’s a very good player with not much help this year. If those millions aren’t looking real likely next year, it looks like he’d have a lot more help next year and would have a much better chance to accomplish the team goals that these guys have.

If Tyus is in a position to make millions next year, then nobody’s got anything to feel bad about, lol.

I hear you...he’s a very good player with not much help this year. If those millions aren’t looking real likely next year, it looks like he’d have a lot more help next year and would have a much better chance to accomplish the team goals that these guys have.
You’re right. I suppose I feel far worse about how much of a shame it is for our program and fans than it is for Tyus.

I feel bad for Rak that he didnt have a better opportunity his senior year, but happy we got to watch it.

I feel bad for the program and our fanbase that we didnt have a better current situation/team to watch Battle on. But, I feel happy for Battle that he’ll more than likely receive the chance he’s been working towards.

This team is Top 10 all year long if Battle comes back.
I would say top 5 if Sid is ok. Would give us 5 actual players who can score at the same time. If we needed d, then u have Chukwu at c, the two forwardsand or Hughes then Carey and Battles in backcourt. Pretty good fit for our zone defense.

His only shot. Is the NBA going away after next year.

Why is next year is only shot?
If he goes, fine, but he is a guy who can improve his position, and thereby money, by staying and bringing all together consistently.

Yup. Potentially an outstanding offensive team too, depending on how well Carey and Bazley play and how much Howard, Brissett, Marek, and Sidibe improve. It would be the first SU team in a long time where potentially everything is present - outside shooters, guys who can drive and score, guys who can get out in transition, ball handlers, and maybe even a low post scorer or two.

Don't forget about Hughes - a big guard who has a year of practice time & should be decent enough in the zone too.

IDK about others, but I'm expecting Hughes to make a difference. Historically JB has not taken transfers unless he thinks they can be impactful.

I'm gonna go out on limb here & say Hughes gives us numbers close to 10 PPG / 3 RPG if he doesn't get "starter" mins & maybe even 12 PPG (or more - dudes a scorer) / 4 RPG if he's given enough mins.

His only shot. Is the NBA going away after next year.
Not saying its his only shot but theres a lot of potential risks that come with putting the pros off for a year that him and his family may deem not worth taking.

Not saying its his only shot but theres a lot of potential risks that come with putting the pros off for a year that him and his family may deem not worth taking.
Victor Oladipo
CJ McCullum

They’re doing just fine in the NBA and they stayed until their Jr and Sr years, respectively.

Victor Oladipo
CJ McCullum

They’re doing just fine in the NBA and they stayed until their Jr and Sr years, respectively.
Pretty sure they were each projected top 15 picks. Tyus isnt showing up in the 1st round this year or next, projections.

Pretty sure they were each projected top 15 picks. Tyus isnt showing up in the 1st round this year or next, projections.
I think you’re proving my point. They were in a similar position to Battle after their sophomore year. They stayed and improved their NBA prospects. Battle runs a much higher risk of losing out on millions if he elects to enter the draft this year. His best option is to leave after next year.

Felt for RAK. He owned the paint in the ACC that year and didn't even get a shot to lead the team into the tourney. He really got a raw deal. If Tyus cant get the bad taste out of his mouth...he could still come back.

Bingo. Reminds me of when Michael Carter-Williams lost his cool on the sideline at the end of the Michigan game, as if circumstances beyond his control were ending his college career. I feel bad for Southerland. I feel bad for Triche. I don't feel bad for you. You've got an adult decision to make, act like an adult.

Two players that deserved better final campaigns. There’s still a very small shot we make the tournament, and I know Rak tasted multiple March runs himself. But these two guys really stick out as players who gave it their all in their final year despite teams that were massively struggling for different reasons.

Yes, I’m in the boat that tyus will elect to get evaluated and will receive great reviews and a mid-late first round pick.

This whole season was an UNSELFISH NBA tryout for Tyus. Our offense forced him to score, game in and game out, taking pro level shots and creating like only a pro could. It doesnt show in the standings, and he had his mistakes but this kid’s going to get all the reviews Malachi and others did I’m sure.

His family and him have been working towards the pro’s and a successful life for a very long time. I’ll respect and support whatever measured and thought-out decision they will make.
You had to know where this thread would go, right? Just remember, no good salute to a player or coach goes unpunished.

My dream scenario for 2018-2019 is:

PG) 6'5 Howard
SG) 6'6 Battle
SF) 6'8 Brissett
PF) 6'9 Bazley
C) 7'2 Chukwu

Guards off bench: 6'6 Hughes, 6'3 Carey
Forwards off bench: 6'9 Dolezaj, 6'8 Moyer
Centers off bench: 6'10 Sidibe, 6'9 Manuel

Designated for development/redshirt/rehab/"getting Boeheimed":
6'5 Boeheim, 6'3 Washington

Would give us a team full of 13 scholarship players with multiple NBA 1st round picks, multiple "program guys", senior leadership, intense practice competition, shooters, and possibly the tallest and mostt athletic JB zone ever.

You had to know where this thread would go, right? Just remember, no good salute to a player or coach goes unpunished.
And finally... A salute to Trevor Cooney

My dream scenario for 2018-2019 is:

PG) 6'5 Howard
SG) 6'6 Battle
SF) 6'8 Brissett
PF) 6'9 Bazley
C) 7'2 Chukwu

Guards off bench: 6'6 Hughes, 6'3 Carey
Forwards off bench: 6'9 Dolezaj, 6'8 Moyer
Centers off bench: 6'10 Sidibe, 6'9 Manuel

Designated for development/redshirt/rehab/"getting Boeheimed":
6'5 Boeheim, 6'3 Washington

Would give us a team full of 13 scholarship players with multiple NBA 1st round picks, multiple "program guys", senior leadership, intense practice competition, shooters, and possibly the tallest and mostt athletic JB zone ever.

That lineup/roster...Wow.

I mean, hell, even factor in Battle leaving & it's still amazing - put Hughes or Carey in lineup & out Buddy or HW off bench.

There's no doubt about it, we are now positioned well for the foreseeable future.

There are no excuses if we don't win next year. None.

That roster without Battle is still awesome.

Hell, be conservative if you'd like & take away Chukwu for a stretch of games for injury...Sidibe can step right in.

Or say Carey isn't ready for "prime time" yet...that's fine, then Hughes plays more.

We went through the growing pains this year to get guys like Marek, Moyer, Chukwu, Sidibe much needed game experience.

Getting Brissett back & into weight room, with the good experience he got...hopefully he won't be a focus of defenses again like this year. Should excel.

And Frank will have gone through growing pains himself, getting acclimated to playing PG at the highest level. He should be better for it too, and not be focus of defenses either.

And we used a scholarship to have Hughes sit out so that it will pay off the next three years.

We went through the pregnancy. Time to see the baby.