A Small Announcement | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A Small Announcement

Whats the sling ap and how does it work?
owned by Dish, it's an app that has most of the channels you pay for with cable tv. It's $19.99 per month, no additional taxes or fees. I've had it for about 3 months now and love it. I use it with roku

owned by Dish, it's an app that has most of the channels you pay for with cable tv. It's $19.99 per month, no additional taxes or fees. I've had it for about 3 months now and love it. I use it with roku
I'm on the orange + blue plan now, which gets me ESPN and the Fox Sports stuff, which includes the YES network; although it is $39.99.

does anyone know if Verizon or time warner has the better internet?

jgeorge322 said:
does anyone know if Verizon or time warner has the better internet?

Verizon Fios is substantially the better product.

If I could leave TWC for Verizon I'd do it in a heartbeat. TWC owns Charlotte

If I could leave TWC for Verizon I'd do it in a heartbeat. TWC owns Charlotte
Good news. We'll ALL be leaving Time Warner for "Spectrum" in the near future.

But I wouldn't switch to Verizon. Both sets of parents (my wife's and mine) have Verizon. I have TWC. Why can't I record a show at their house if I want? Why can't I pause and rewind live TV? The remote says I can. Why don't I get nearly all the channels at their house that I do at my house? It's not like I am paying for any extra packages. Do you have to pay extra for such channels? Do you have to pay extra for those services? If so, forget Verizon... although not sure what my parents are paying now.

"As of 2015, ESPN lost around 7 million subscribers in the previous two years, meaning they left about $1.3 billion in subscriber revenue on the table. Sadly, ESPN predicted steady cable company growth overtime like usual, but now they seem to have learned their lesson and are making a move towards streaming."

Just wondering how many subscribers were lost in the NYC DMA or the rather generous NYC Plus 1/2 of Jersey DMA. Hindsight is making the B1G decision that much less impressive, after all, Rutgers and UMD were invited for the cable subscribers they would bring.
Not really, the biggest benefit of adding RU and UMD is that the BIG is now able to charge carriers and in effect their customers more money now that the BIG is directly in their market. My numbers are not exact but show the example: In the past carriers in NY/NJ and MD/NVA would charge customers .10 for the BIGN, now they can charge .70 for the same product.

Also, the cable companies didn't think it was that big a deal since they just gave the BIG a record payout.

Good news. We'll ALL be leaving Time Warner for "Spectrum" in the near future.

But I wouldn't switch to Verizon. Both sets of parents (my wife's and mine) have Verizon. I have TWC. Why can't I record a show at their house if I want? Why can't I pause and rewind live TV? The remote says I can. Why don't I get nearly all the channels at their house that I do at my house? It's not like I am paying for any extra packages. Do you have to pay extra for such channels? Do you have to pay extra for those services? If so, forget Verizon... although not sure what my parents are paying now.
Do they pay for and have a DVR? If not, that answers all your questions.

There are 3 packages with Verizon FIOS. Yes, the package you choose will determine the channels you get.

I had TWC before I switched to Verizon and I switched for good reason because TWC is a vastly inferior product to FIOS and it really isn't even close.

I have the upgraded 50/50 high speed Internet and I can stream a movie while my daughter watches YouTube videos, at the same time I am downloading a movie and the wife is on the internet. I have 8 total connected devices at any time. With TWC I couldn't even play a real time game online without getting kicked off...it was terrible.

TV and customer service are both superior as well.

The only thing I miss is Howard TV.

Not really, the biggest benefit of adding RU and UMD is that the BIG is now able to charge carriers and in effect their customers more money now that the BIG is directly in their market. My numbers are not exact but show the example: In the past carriers in NY/NJ and MD/NVA would charge customers .10 for the BIGN, now they can charge .70 for the same product.

Also, the cable companies didn't think it was that big a deal since they just gave the BIG a record payout.

The big increase proves the point that College Sports are under paid, B1G ratings as a whole are not better than double what the SEC ratings are.

As to what the BTN can charge in the areas you identify, are those solid numbers or just an example. I am not in the business, but I recall that the BTN was projecting at least $1/per customer and more than the rate I heard elsewhere (.30-.40 if I recall). Regardless, with less less customers forking over any rate, the return to BTN is less than bargained for (by your numbers at least 30% off the asking price and another 10% by cord cutters), thus my point still stands. Even if there was no difference in the rate (assume the BTN gets $1) a 10% decrease is still a decrease and one that will continue to grow.

If anyone has hard numbers of what NYC is paying the BTN, it would be interesting if you can share.

The big increase proves the point that College Sports are under paid, B1G ratings as a whole are not better than double what the SEC ratings are.

As to what the BTN can charge in the areas you identify, are those solid numbers or just an example. I am not in the business, but I recall that the BTN was projecting at least $1/per customer and more than the rate I heard elsewhere (.30-.40 if I recall). Regardless, with less less customers forking over any rate, the return to BTN is less than bargained for (by your numbers at least 30% off the asking price and another 10% by cord cutters), thus my point still stands. Even if there was no difference in the rate (assume the BTN gets $1) a 10% decrease is still a decrease and one that will continue to grow.

If anyone has hard numbers of what NYC is paying the BTN, it would be interesting if you can share.
My numbers are not solid. Just used them as an example. Sorry

My numbers are not solid. Just used them as an example. Sorry

My bad for coming across as poorly as I did. I was not challenging you, just asking as so many posters here are in the TV business and have access to better numbers than we can see floating around in cyberspace. I am not in the TV business but am fascinated by the real numbers when they get released. I have held for a long time that College football and hoops are vastly underpaid. The BTN supports my position, which ESPN will surely hope to hide during the ACC 5-yeaar look-in and any SEC look-in.

Your numbers support the claim that the BTN is making more than before UMD/Rutgers were added, which is an increase. I was looking at the decrease since the addition. I have never been able to nail down the exact numbers - I suspect Northern Jersey or possibly all of Jersey to have increased significantly, but would be surprised at any large increase in NYC or Connecticut as I have never seen a report that truly supported a claim that NYC watches Rutgers.

Orijinal said:
Good news. We'll ALL be leaving Time Warner for "Spectrum" in the near future. But I wouldn't switch to Verizon. Both sets of parents (my wife's and mine) have Verizon. I have TWC. Why can't I record a show at their house if I want? Why can't I pause and rewind live TV? The remote says I can. Why don't I get nearly all the channels at their house that I do at my house? It's not like I am paying for any extra packages. Do you have to pay extra for such channels? Do you have to pay extra for those services? If so, forget Verizon... although not sure what my parents are paying now.
It's probably the package/equipment they have. If your parents and in-laws are anything like my parents and in-laws, they are clueless as to what they have and how to use it. Both sets of parents will watch standard def even though they have hdtvs and Hd boxes

If you've never heard of Kodi you should definitely look into it. Kodi is an open source media platform that runs on Linux, OS X, Windows, iOS, and Android. Within Kodi you can install plug-ins and add-ons that allow you to watch any movie, TV show or live TV all for free.

Last edited:
people should be looking at getting rid of cell phones and the family plans of $2-300 a month first if i had my druthers.

Anyone here tried Project Fi or the other web-based cell services? The monthly costs are a fraction of what I'm paying now and I'm tempted to switch.

If you've never heard of Kodi you should definitely look into it. Kodi is an open source media platform that runs on Linux, OS X, Windows, iOS, and Android. Within Kodi you can install plug-ins and add-ons that allow you to watch any movie, TV show or live TV all for free.
KODI is also illegal. Just because it gives you the ability to watch movies and TV from the web doesn't mean you have authorization to do so. In the first link, the supplier of content is suing to get ALL the IP addresses of the illegal service (popcorn Time) so they can sue each and every one using it. KODI is no different, it just works on your TV instead of your computer and is seamless to the user.

Why I Don't Use "Free" Illegal TV Streaming Services - Disable My Cable Blog

Kodi Announces Legal Action to Smash Piracy Links - TorrentFreak

Jasonrob44 said:
I know where he came from, and it doesn't change my opinion in the least.

Lol

I started using PlayStation Vue this week and dropped my cable boxes back off to Verizon. 35 bucks a month lets me stream all of ESPN's live programming through my PS3 and PS4.

How is the picture quality?

Anyone here tried Project Fi or the other web-based cell services? The monthly costs are a fraction of what I'm paying now and I'm tempted to switch.
nope, but i use tracfone now. I have an android smartphone by lg. does all the same stuff as any other smartphone. I pay for 1 year of service at a time for i think $99 for the year. it includes 400 mins of talk 400 texts, and .4 gb data. Since it's for a smartphone, the minutes all triple. So for $99 I get 1200 mins, 1200 texts, and 1.2 gb data. 1.2 doesn't seem like much, but I'm connected to wifi so often, I hardly use data. You can add more data if you want to fit your needs. If you're a guy like me who just uses the phone for making and receiving calls, and occasionally checking email, or this forum outside of a wifi area, you can't beat it. Tracfone even lets you keep your number, and you can even keep your current smartphone, and put the plan on that. Tracfone also runs off of any tower regardless of network, so coverage is pretty much everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom