A tale of 2 players | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A tale of 2 players

McNamara was exactly what Cooney is now (a chucker), but with the ball in his hands more often. Nobody got on him for shooting so much and being a mediocre shooter like people do with Cooney.
Actually people did constantly attack Gmac after every loss as was Rautins,Devendorf,Triche,Scoop,MCW, Green and many others. After they are gone people like to act as though they were all treated as if they were beloved. Cooney is just this teams "fill in the blank" CHUCKER who people love to attack when all isn't going well. I remember after the Vermont loss in the NCAA's Gmac was hardly beloved on the internet anyway.

Last edited:
Carolinasu said:
Actually people did constantly attack Gmac after every loss as was Rautins,Devendorf,Triche,Scoop, Green and many others. After they are gone people like to act as though they were all treated as if they were beloved. Cooney is just this teams "fill in the blank" CHUCKER who people love to attack when all isn't going well. I remember after the Vermont loss in the NCAA's Gmac was hardly beloved on the internet anyway.

I don't remember Andy being brutalized the way the other guys were. There was one post saying he was our most overrated player ever going into the 09-10 season, but that guy disappeared quickly.

I don't remember Andy being brutalized the way the other guys were. There was one post saying he was our most overrated player ever going into the 09-10 season, but that guy disappeared quickly.
Rautins was under constant attack on the P-S I think not sure about here.

Yeah, Andy got the why is he here treatment for a little bit. I do recall it, but he silenced most pretty quickly once they saw him play. You could see he was working with a decent skill set - even if he wasn't quite ready to contribute a ton immediately. He also had pretty low expectations though coming in - maybe none, and he exceeded that off the bat. :) It took awhile for him to be celebrated - but the "he isn't D1 material" seemed to die down quickly.

The he isn't good enough for SU talk probably died down faster for Andy than it did with Trevor tbh. It didn't help that TC arrived with the whole "greatest shooter ever" tag affixed to him though.

Can you imagine if Chris came onto campus as refined a player as Donte was? He would be paraded about like the second coming. Donte just showed up at a bad time. I think everyone was possibly still very angry about the Watkins/Roberts/Nichlols class misfiring from what the expectations were. It seemed like everyone was pretty ornery back then. :)

um, no. not a lot. I certainly criticized him loudly & repeatedly, but I can assure you that was a lonely position for the duration of his term and several years following.

Yeah, you were a lonely fellow on that one (for the most part).

um, no. not a lot. I certainly criticized him loudly & repeatedly, but I can assure you that was a lonely position for the duration of his term and several years following.

You're definitely mis remembering...he got the bulk of the criticism after every loss in 2006.

I believe the narrative changed drastically however after he carried us to the tournament.

McNamara was exactly what Cooney is now (a chucker), but with the ball in his hands more often. Nobody got on him for shooting so much and being a mediocre shooter like people do with Cooney.

In fairness GMAC came in as a volume shooter/scorer not just a 3 point marksman. Cooney came in annointed as a 3 point marksman destined to be one of the best outside shooters to ever play here.

Ghost said:
Yeah, Andy got the why is he here treatment for a little bit. I do recall it, but he silenced most pretty quickly once they saw him play. You could see he was working with a decent skill set - even if he wasn't quite ready to contribute a ton immediately. He also had pretty low expectations though coming in - maybe none, and he exceeded that off the bat. :) It took awhile for him to be celebrated - but the "he isn't D1 material" seemed to die down quickly.

The he isn't good enough for SU talk probably died down faster for Andy than it did with Trevor tbh. It didn't help that TC arrived with the whole "greatest shooter ever" tag affixed to him though.

Can you imagine if Chris came onto campus as refined a player as Donte was? He would be paraded about like the second coming. Donte just showed up at a bad time. I think everyone was possibly still very angry about the Watkins/Roberts/Nichlols class misfiring from what the expectations were. It seemed like everyone was pretty ornery back then. :)

The major criticism was that he was a waste of scholarship. But by the end of the 07 season he completely shed that. I can't think of another guy so unheralded that had the career he did. Maybe Shumpert?

Anyone remember who that poster was? Damn right he disappeared quickly--that was perhaps the most asinine thread in the history of the board. Talk about a bad call.

GMac is the definition of clutch

Donte had to shoot! Yes he could have passed up 2 heaves a game in favor of something else but he was a freshman and his inside game did develop as the season progressed but it wasn't something he came in to SU being comfortable doing.

I think Donte gets a bad rapp from the fans for 2 reasons, he obviously liked to have fun which can make some think he wasn't taking it seriously (it is a game though) and we would have he was the piece that the 08/09 squad was missing had he stayed.

GMac is the definition of clutch
Indeed he was. But his game-to-game shooting quantities and percentages were right there with Cooney's.

And if anyone has played SG at some level, and were running off screens to look for shots, they know how difficult of a job Cooney really has. I had a similar, albeit much less difficult, role in HS and it is tiring. Playing at a high D1 level for 40 minutes a game has to be exhausting to him, and forced shots and numerous misses will result. If he was simply a stationary catch and shoot guy, his numbers would be a lot better.

I could never understand the "hate" for Donte. He was a genuinely nice kid who bled orange ... and who came from a horrible economic/familial background. He gave us a great year (albeit on a pretty bad team) and did everything the coaches asked him to do.

I think it had to do with the way he played, not his numbers. I got the feeling every time watching him play that he was merely auditioning. He did not have a ton of help on that team, but I never got even a slight warm feeling about Donte and his commitment to SU's success based on his style of play and demeanor on the court.

This is a good topic.

My feelings towards Donte's play are in agreement with several here, and have been in other posts: he
had to take threes, because nobody else on that team could. But you wanted more out of him.
And if you wanted him down low, again, the whole team was post guys (KOng, Harris, Jackson, Onuaku),
so with a team of post guys, and no shooters, that's where he went.

My criticism of Cooney shooting is he just takes so many bad shots. JB doesn't want Patterson to take
any threes, but at least all his shots are wide open, square to the hoop, and he can get set for the shot.
Cooney will make that shot all day. Just like Gbinije did Saturday: those were shots where he was square,
he was set, and stepping towards the hoop with the shot/followthru. And he hits 5-6. How many times
do you see Cooney fading away, turning while he shoots, with one falling out of bounds prayer that went
in? LOTS! That's why he goes 10-26, or 4-14, etc. At some point, even a designated shooter has to think
"Yes, I can take this shot, and it might go in, but it's not a good shot, maybe I should pass it up."

Kev

The difference is that GMac had a penchant for playing great in big games in the white hot spotlight. Many times. Making 6 3's in the 1st half of the national championship game as a freshman tends to give one an image. The guy hit I don't know how many game winning buzzer beating shots but it was several. He dropped 43 in an NCAA game. His run of amazing shots leading to winning the '06 BET is legend. That is why he is remembered as a star. I like Cooney and root for him. But how many times has he come up big in a big game? Unfortunately he has had some of his worst games on the biggest stages. How many dramatic game winning shots has he made? That's the difference that is lost in looking at their overall stats. Timing is everything!