A tale of two degrees... | Syracusefan.com

A tale of two degrees...

SU2NASA

All American
Bachelor's from Syracuse, Master's from Michigan, grew up in Michigan, proud to unequivocally say...

LET'S GO ORANGE!

I hope we kick their collective asses.

This man approves...
02mcnabb.jpg

A buddy of mine grew up in the Detroit area and was a HUGE Michigan football and basketball fan when he was a kid.

He went with me to Syracuse from 03'-07', and is really conflicted when I asked him yesterday who he was going to root for.

Seriously?! I didn't think it would even be a question!

The school you went to ALWAYS trumps the school you grew up rooting for!

Disagree. I don't think I would ever, EVER root for Sacred Heart if they played Syracuse. I'd want them to put forth a good effort and keep it close, but I'd still want Syracuse to win.

Disagree. I don't think I would ever, EVER root for Sacred Heart if they played Syracuse. I'd want them to put forth a good effort and keep it close, but I'd still want Syracuse to win.

Ok. If there's a HUGE disparity between how good the two schools are, then sure, take the better school.

But if it's close...go with the one you went to school for.

If my kid played for michigan i would have a hard time pulling the trigger in this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A buddy of mine grew up in the Detroit area and was a HUGE Michigan football and basketball fan when he was a kid.

He went with me to Syracuse from 03'-07', and is really conflicted when I asked him yesterday who he was going to root for.

One of my roommates also grew up near Detroit. Our freshman year we played Michigan State in the tourney, which was the Michigan team he rooted for (he was mainly a Notre Dame fan before college). He rooted wholeheartedly for Syracuse.

I've since inducted him as a true diehard SU fan.

Ok. If there's a HUGE disparity between how good the two schools are, then sure, take the better school.

But if it's close...go with the one you went to school for.
I find it fascinating how attached people not from syracuse who attended the university embrace the programs post graduation. Having been born and since raised in syracuse and a lifer of the city i could never imagine rooting for another program even if i went to school there meaning if i went to north carolina or illinois or another college with a big time football and hoops program i would never ever embrace that college as my team i follow

went to north carolina or illinois or another college with a big time football and hoops program

sorry but had to laugh at that one. Illinois can pound rocks in all sports. ;)

[quote="HakAttack, post: 602926, member:

The school you went to ALWAYS trumps the school you grew up rooting for![/quote]
Negative, Syracuse was engraved before I ever had a choice. SU over all else.

I find it fascinating how attached people not from syracuse who attended the university embrace the programs post graduation.

Marsh, if it's possible, I'm even more of a fan since I've left SU. I got there in 03'-04', and stayed for grad school through 08'-09'. I guess I wasn't as RABID as I am now (although I went to EVERY home game in the Student section), because we weren't THAT good during that stretch.

Two Sweet 16s,
Two NITs
Two 1st round losses
during that time

compared to

One Sweet 16
One second round loss
One Elite 8
One Final 4 (and counting)
since I left campus for good in 09'.

No comparison. Plus when you're a student there, you tend to take it for granted...especially because you're not spending as much $$ on Tix. I've probably dropped over $2500 in tickets over the four years since I left campus. When you're a student...you're representing your present affiliation with SU. When you're an alumni, you're representing the past, present and future affiliation with SU. It means more to me now knowing that I have two degrees from SU. I have more pride at my school's athletic accomplishments.

Marsh, if it's possible, I'm even more of a fan since I've left SU. I got there in 03'-04', and stayed for grad school through 08'-09'. I guess I wasn't as RABID as I am now (although I went to EVERY home game in the Student section), because we weren't THAT good during that stretch.

Two Sweet 16s,
Two NITs
Two 1st round losses
during that time

compared to

One Sweet 16
One second round loss
One Elite 8
One Final 4 (and counting)
since I left campus for good in 09'.

No comparison. Plus when you're a student there, you tend to take it for granted...especially because you're not spending as much $$ on Tix. I've probably dropped over $2500 in tickets over the four years since I left campus. When you're a student...you're representing your present affiliation with SU. When you're an alumni, you're representing the past, present and future affiliation with SU. It means more to me now knowing that I have two degrees from SU. I have more pride at my school's athletic accomplishments.
Oh i have no issues with it whatsoever. I just find it strange when you hear stories like "i grew up a st johns fan or a michigan state fan (insert any team) and then i switched to being a syracuse fan because i went there." To me thats hard to grasp. Maybe because i have lived in syracuse my whole life and there was only one team i was ever rooting for no matter where i went to college (i did not attend syracuse). I would never dream of rooting for another program over syracuse just because i went there.

Again not saying its wrong or picking on anyone. I just find it really fascinating.

NFW.

I am a Syracuse townie, raised on the West End on Tipperary Hill. I spent my undergrad days in Burlington, VT, at a fine little school whose mascot was the Catamount. Do you think I rejoiced on that awful day in March 2005, when SU's season came to an end?

I went to law school at the University of Texas and got out in 1997. Do you think I shed a tear when Hak delivered his twig and berries unto Royal Ivey's gullet? Have you seen my iPhone case? (H/T to Mason again.)

In a rare-but-appropriate quote of Tristan: You are dismissed with prejudice.

I was born and raised an Orange fan in CNY. Ill root for the CU Buffs, unless they play Syracuse. Reppin da Cuse in CO loud and proud (My friends know so much about the team because I never stop talking about them).

Oh i have no issues with it whatsoever. I just find it strange when you hear stories like "i grew up a st johns fan or a michigan state fan (insert any team) and then i switched to being a syracuse fan because i went there." To me thats hard to grasp. Maybe because i have lived in syracuse my whole life and there was only one team i was ever rooting for no matter where i went to college (i did not attend syracuse). I would never dream of rooting for another program over syracuse just because i went there.

Again not saying its wrong or picking on anyone. I just find it really fascinating.

If it makes you feel any better...I was a St. Johns fan briefly in middle school because they had back to back tourney appearances with a Elite 8 bid in 99'. That team was great. Ron Artest. Lavar Postell. Erick Barkley. Growing up in North Jersey, that was the closest local college team that was any good.

I still remember getting a XXL St. Johns pleather varsity jacket from Steve & Barry's that was HUGE on me. I was at a Shop Rite in Queens one night with that on, and the cashier thought I was on the team!

NFW.

I am a Syracuse townie, raised on the West End on Tipperary Hill. I spent my undergrad days in Burlington, VT, at a fine little school whose mascot was the Catamount. Do you think I rejoiced on that awful day in March 2005, when SU's season came to an end?

I went to law school at the University of Texas and got out in 1997. Do you think I shed a tear when Hak delivered his twig and berries unto Royal Ivey's gullet? Have you seen my iPhone case? (H/T to Mason again.)

In a rare-but-appropriate quote of Tristan: You are dismissed with prejudice.

Again...if the schools are close to EQUAL FOOTING in athletics, you'd clearly have a harder time deciding. But in your case, of course you're going to pick Syracuse.

Bachelor's from Syracuse, Master's from Michigan, grew up in Michigan, proud to unequivocally say...

LET'S GO ORANGE!

I hope we kick their collective asses.

This man approves...
02mcnabb.jpg
I was at the game when McNabb et al. caused the stadium at Michigan to clear out by halftime. It was a great week to be an Orangeman living in the Ann Arbor area.

Again...if the schools are close to EQUAL FOOTING in athletics, you'd clearly have a harder time deciding. But in your case, of course you're going to pick Syracuse.

Still don't agree with your reasoning, but I see room for arguments on a number of sides of this. And I was just screwing around with the Tristan quote, BTW, lest you think I was putting too fine a point on it.

Bottom line is that we both root for the right team, right?

Steveholt here on this board went to Michigan for undergrad. The two of us have been fans since the Pearl days, watching in his basement with an array of crazy superstitious viewing rituals (lights on/off - seating position, etc).

I imagine that he will be rooting for the 'Cuse even though he never went to Syracuse and did go to UMich.

I'd like to hear him chime in here if possible.

mason

I was at the game when McNabb et al. caused the stadium at Michigan to clear out by halftime. It was a great week to be an Orangeman living in the Ann Arbor area.

That was my freshman year and I was there too. First time I ever walked into that stadium rooting for the opponent and it was never a question in my mind.

Steveholt here on this board went to Michigan for undergrad. The two of us have been fans since the Pearl days, watching in his basement with an array of crazy superstitious viewing rituals (lights on/off - seating position, etc).

I imagine that he will be rooting for the 'Cuse even though he never went to Syracuse and did go to UMich.

I'd like to hear him chime in here if possible.

mason
He already did.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/went-to-umich-grew-up-cuse-fan.49619/

Not a Cuse lifer but I am the same way. The first question I always get in Philly is "oh did you go to school there?" To the point where I occasionally wonder if I'm weird for being such a big fan just 'cause I was born&raised there. Meh.
I think a big part of it is Syracuse being so far away from pro teams. Nobody here likes Nova who didn't go to school there.

That was my freshman year and I was there too. First time I ever walked into that stadium rooting for the opponent and it was never a question in my mind.
Were you in the SU section in the end zone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom