A tale of two degrees... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A tale of two degrees...

Oh i have no issues with it whatsoever. I just find it strange when you hear stories like "i grew up a st johns fan or a michigan state fan (insert any team) and then i switched to being a syracuse fan because i went there." To me thats hard to grasp. Maybe because i have lived in syracuse my whole life and there was only one team i was ever rooting for no matter where i went to college (i did not attend syracuse). I would never dream of rooting for another program over syracuse just because i went there.

Again not saying its wrong or picking on anyone. I just find it really fascinating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up a damn uconn fan. First game in the Dome was against uconn. Had no clue what I would do but cheered hard for Syracuse in a game where Shumpert just went off from 3.

It took a long time to completely wean myself from them but I first actively rooted against them in a game not involving Syracuse in the 08-09 season when they played gonzaga and haven't looked back.

But I will cheer for Hartwick soccer over Syracuse even though I'm incredibly happy to see a former Hartwick all American make SU soccer relevant.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I find it fascinating how attached people not from syracuse who attended the university embrace the programs post graduation. Having been born and since raised in syracuse and a lifer of the city i could never imagine rooting for another program even if i went to school there meaning if i went to north carolina or illinois or another college with a big time football and hoops program i would never ever embrace that college as my team i follow

I can understand how it would seem that way. I never lived in New York outside of my 4 years on the Hill, but I can tell you that I have become a much bigger fan since I graduated. I think for people who aren't in Syracuse or as involved with the University after graduation, keeping tabs on sports is one of the only strong bonds we have with SU. So for me, it is a nice connection with the University that I can maintain from anywhere in the world.

I find it fascinating how attached people not from syracuse who attended the university embrace the programs post graduation. Having been born and since raised in syracuse and a lifer of the city i could never imagine rooting for another program even if i went to school there meaning if i went to north carolina or illinois or another college with a big time football and hoops program i would never ever embrace that college as my team i follow

A real SU fan stays a real SU fan for life. I lived in Indiana about 30 miles from South Bend for 9 years. I then lived 21 years in Michigan about 4 miles from Ann Arbor. I absolutely hate those teams, largely from having to put up with their obnoxious fans that believe the world owes them something just for existing. Moving back to NYS was a godsend.

TOTALLY agree

I grew up an hour away from Syracuse and routed for them. Moved an hour away from Columbus, OH (OSU) when I was 9th grade. I still routed for SU. After college, I moved about two hours away from Austin (UT) and still route for SU. I've lived in the heart of two of the largest universities and alumni bases in the country, and I still have not waivered in my support of SU. Oh, and I never attended SU. Once a fan, always a fan.

TOTALLY agree
Lots of people out there who grew up without a college team in the northeast anyway

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Oh i have no issues with it whatsoever. I just find it strange when you hear stories like "i grew up a st johns fan or a michigan state fan (insert any team) and then i switched to being a syracuse fan because i went there." To me thats hard to grasp. Maybe because i have lived in syracuse my whole life and there was only one team i was ever rooting for no matter where i went to college (i did not attend syracuse). I would never dream of rooting for another program over syracuse just because i went there.

Again not saying its wrong or picking on anyone. I just find it really fascinating.

I was a pretty big UConn (F teenage me) and Notre Dame fan and dropped both like a bad habit about the minute I stepped foot on campus for my first visit to the Cuse.

Lots of people out there who grew up without a college team in the northeast anyway

Hey who's the Pinocchio guy in your avatar? I don't recognize him. He kind of looks like John Roberts' older brother though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom