A wasted play | Syracusefan.com

A wasted play

K

kingottoiii

I absolutely hated the play call on 2nd and goal from the five down 26-17. We needed a TD bad there. So what do we do? We go with a one WR set and try and pound the ball against ten defenders. That IMO is asinine. Best case there we get 3-4 yards and face a 3rd and goal. I don't mind running the ball but it better be to the outside or from the Spread. Did the coaches honestly think we would score on that play? You need to try and score not get closer when you are already at the five.

I also hated the TE fade early in the game. Dumb play call. Also I think we wasted a second down there as well.

I agree. Not only that it wasted more time which was already disappearing. IMO, you need a TD on that possession. I know some people would argue that you just need to score and obviously that is true but with the amount of time wasted, you leave with 3 points and when we got possession again Pitt didn't have to do anything exotic on defense, just prevent the TD. Had we scored a TD it puts more pressure on Pitt's defense then just putting pressure on our offense to score a TD in 2 minutes.

It seemed like the coaching staff was content with just getting a FG in that situation.

Chat room was going berserk on that 2nd down call. That drive took too much time off the clock, and seemingly by design. And settled for 3. Did anyone think we were going 95 yards?

It seemed like the coaching staff was content with just getting a FG in that situation.

But, but, but...we extended the game! That's the goal of football, right?

But, but, but...we extended the game! That's the goal of football, right?

If all your going to get is a FG then don't waste 10 freakin minutes to do it and then leave yourself 2 minutes to score a TD while putting a ton of pressure on your offense that has a hard time scoring to begin with.

If all your going to get is a FG then don't waste 10 freakin minutes to do it and then leave yourself 2 minutes to score a TD while putting a ton of pressure on your offense that has a hard time scoring to begin with.

I'm with you. Happens all the time... instead of taking opportunities to get the score that is needed, when a team is in the best posititon to do so (like being inside the 5), coaches turtle and extend the game. Because it was logical to think we'd be able to make a quick 3 and out then drive extensively, and quicky, for a TD.

We have seldom thrown into the end zone on first or second down all season..The only play I can remember clearly in which we did was the pass to Kyle Foster that bounced off his chest in the Rutgers game...:bang:

I'm with you. Happens all the time... instead of taking opportunities to get the score that is needed, when a team is in the best posititon to do so (like being inside the 5), coaches turtle and extend the game. Because it was logical to think we'd be able to make a quick 3 and out then drive extensively, and quicky, for a TD.

The funny thing is, I was thinking to myself how stupid I was for complaining about scoring but really a FG in that particular situation is stupid. You have to get 7 in that situation for so many reasons. If it's Brady or Manning then hell, take the 3 points and they'll drive down the field in 40 seconds but we aren't even the Patriots of CNY. We couldn't drive down the field in 2 minutes on Colgate if we had to.

Marrone is in a strange place not trusting a qb who throws 35x a game. I am baffled. This is your chsnce, marrone. Don't waste it on a guy who you think is incapable of what good college qbs can do. Move on.

The funny thing is, I was thinking to myself how stupid I was for complaining about scoring but really a FG in that particular situation is stupid. You have to get 7 in that situation for so many reasons. If it's Brady or Manning then hell, take the 3 points and they'll drive down the field in 40 seconds but we aren't even the Patriots of CNY. We couldn't drive down the field in 2 minutes on Colgate if we had to.
Meatheads would rather pass up earlier make or break play with better odds for later lower odds plays

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom