Time to start being smarter, not tougher | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Time to start being smarter, not tougher

Take the two field goals in the first and fourth quarter that were chip shots, play for a field goal rather than taking the sack on the one that we missed and we are up 30-14 or 33-14 with nothing to worry about. I hope Fran learned his lesson.

also, please stop with the 3 man rush!!!
Everyone ignores the extra four points they got not "taking the points"

McCord is better than our kickers

pretty much spot on. We have millions of plays of what teams have done over the years in spots. And now we have a hundred plays of what they are doing with the new Analytics.

But the Math guys dont know players and Big Mo and account for crowd and weather either.
The players here are Kyle McCord vs Dr pepper contest winners

Agree with that, but that was an absolutely pinpoint pass that was at best a well covered 50-50 play. If we take all the chip shot field goals, including that one, it’s 29 to 14. To me it just falls under the category of “don’t beat yourself”. Which like Georgia Tech, we came dangerously close to doing in games we were dominating.
Yes. McCord is pinpoint. That factors in

Everyone ignores the extra four points they got not "taking the points"

McCord is better than our kickers
I can see the other side too, but

If we took all the chip shots, we likely do have 29 points. We would not have been attempting anything more than chip shots in any of those scenarios, and so far Oh has looked fine on short kicks. His extra points have been just what they should be.

As good as Mccord has been, the reality is, on four opportunities where we played for the touchdown in unfavorable down and distance, we were only 1/4, And that one required an absolutely perfect pass. We were a razors edge from being zero for four.

Mccord is better than our kickers but padding a comfortable lead in a hostile environment rather than giving the other team life, to me would be preferable.

Some decisions are 50-50 or maybe 51-49. Coaches have to make decisions and if a guy in the stands or on his couch would have gone the other way, that doesn't make him smarter than the coach.

pretty much spot on. We have millions of plays of what teams have done over the years in spots. And now we have a hundred plays of what they are doing with the new Analytics.

But the Math guys dont know players and Big Mo and account for crowd and weather either.
I would believe you about momentum if the people who talk about momentum didn't ALWAYS want to kick every time every context

Last edited:
Some decisions are 50-50 or maybe 51-49. Coaches have to make decisions and if a guy in the stands or on his couch would have gone the other way, that doesn't make him smarter than the coach.
We were a hair away from being zero for four on the down and distance plays where a field goal, I thought would be more appropriate. Does not mean I am smarter than the coach or I think I’m smarter than the coach, just means that there might’ve been a different way to play it based on both the results of the plays, and how we looked in the red zone, (which was not good). Several posters agreed, some disagreed.

if you take the first field goal in the first quarter, the decision to take field goals from that point forward gets easier.

I felt, and still feel that Fran was not necessarily favoring McCord over the field goal kicker, he was trying to prove that he was the “tougher team”

Another fair critique is that on our second to last drive we were snapping the ball way too quick and leaving too much time on the clock. Could’ve Shortened the game even more.

by nature of our statistical dominance, we are winning games on skill and talent, not smoke and mirrors so I am perfectly fine with Frans Coaching and I’m glad he is our coach.

Analytics says one of our attempted FG's would've been blocked and returned by the defense for a TD. Very glad HCFB avoided that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom