A Win is a Win is a Win | Syracusefan.com

A Win is a Win is a Win

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
I am about as pessimistic as you can get when it comes to Syracuse teams -- and generally way too critical of kids that are 18-22 and are going to make mistakes.

That being said, a win is a win is a win. As Al Davis said, "JUST WIN, BABY". And Syracuse has won four times in six games this year.

They also have defeated Wake Forest -- who now are in the hunt for an ACC championship after a big-time win over Florida State yesterday. They beat Toledo, who is the odds-on favorite to win the MAC after pummeling both Temple (a decent team) and E. Michigan. And the team was also one play (a catch from Foster in the end zone, P. Thomas' missed pick six, etc.) away from being 5-1 and having defeated Rutgers, who oh-by-the-way just handily beat Pitt yesterday.

Are we a perfect team? Absolutely not. Is the play calling less than imaginative a lot of the time? Yes. Is the defense infuriating at times? Yes. But the fact remains that the team is 4-2 and in a position to pull off a huge win over a ranked opponent at home after a bye week that should have the players rested, relatively healthy and ready to go.

I understand that these forums are for complaining and venting about the "warts" of our team -- I am as guilty as anyone of doing that. But we have a winning team that's only going to get better in the coming years -- let's try to do our best to support them and be positive!

The thing I will say is other than the run-on-the-field GW FG to be Northwestern in 2009, we hadn't had too many close wins in games that could go either way...until this year. We managed to lose most of the games. This year, we've won four of the five that look like that.

That say something about a program that seemed to be cursed (Jermaine Pierce's clot, Carter's hip, GRob being our coach) for years. We're definitely in better program shape than Robinson's years and P's finally years (which included book-ended 51-point games from the opposition), but it would be nice to see Marrone's recruits getting on the field on O, better special teams and a bit more progress.

Still, as you state...4-2 is 4-2. And this team can make this a good season if it executes post bye week.

God Bless America.

I am about as pessimistic as you can get when it comes to Syracuse teams -- and generally way too critical of kids that are 18-22 and are going to make mistakes.

That being said, a win is a win is a win. As Al Davis said, "JUST WIN, BABY". And Syracuse has won four times in six games this year.

They also have defeated Wake Forest -- who now are in the hunt for an ACC championship after a big-time win over Florida State yesterday. They beat Toledo, who is the odds-on favorite to win the MAC after pummeling both Temple (a decent team) and E. Michigan. And the team was also one play (a catch from Foster in the end zone, P. Thomas' missed pick six, etc.) away from being 5-1 and having defeated Rutgers, who oh-by-the-way just handily beat Pitt yesterday.

Are we a perfect team? Absolutely not. Is the play calling less than imaginative a lot of the time? Yes. Is the defense infuriating at times? Yes. But the fact remains that the team is 4-2 and in a position to pull off a huge win over a ranked opponent at home after a bye week that should have the players rested, relatively healthy and ready to go.

I understand that these forums are for complaining and venting about the "warts" of our team -- I am as guilty as anyone of doing that. But we have a winning team that's only going to get better in the coming years -- let's try to do our best to support them and be positive!
I agree all I can say is 16-15 beats 10-37 in my books.

I am just old enough to remember how bad Syracuse football was in the late 70's early 80's. The Dome sure did a lot to help bring this program back but it took coach Mac years to accomplish consistent winning. There were those who wanted to can Mac before he finally broke through with the Cherry Bowl in 85 and the undefeated season in 87.

People complained about all that losing under GRob, now they complain about winning in an unspectacular fashion under Marrone. He is just into his third year and has lots of youngsters who are playing major rolls this year. Does he also need to improve some of the things about his coaching? Sure he does, but this restoration is going to take a while.

We are going to suffer through inconsistencies but eventually I believe he is going to build a solid, respectable program here.

And too critical of the coaches whose success often depends on those kids' execution.

Good post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom