A win is a win. | Syracusefan.com

A win is a win.

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
No, it's not.

That was the biggest joke I've seen in years.

It doesn't make sense.

I've NEVER seen anything like that down the stretch.

All second half, launching jumpers while rak is >>>> better than anyone on the floor.

This team feeds of each other in a negative way more than any team I've ever seen.

What the actual F.

No, it's not.

It doesn't make sense.

All second half, launching jumpers while rak is >>>> better than anyone on the floor.

This team feeds of each other in a negative way more than any team I've ever seen.

What the actual F.

Hahaha you sucked me in that with subject line - I was ready to go to town on that cliche.

I don't think people realize how bad VTs roster is... They lost to Radford with their whole roser at home... They didn't have The big guy or Hudson.

Come on you never saw JB's teams against Dr Tom Davis, In all their meetings I saw SU attack his press once (When Leo played) and they won easily,They played BC 3 times that year and lost the other 2,
BoeHeim same old,same old time for HOP

Kind of shocking to watch - even if Rak had an off game, he still could have fouled out that whole team about 5-10 minutes into the second half if we fed the post more.

Awful.

This team has a problem maintaining focus when they have a nice lead at halftime. Disgraceful 2nd half performance in every phase of the game against a nothing team with no size. All the scoring comes from 2 guys -- Cooney and Rak. Cooney went cold and they denied Rak the ball, packing the paint. Nobody else stepped up. Gbinije was not aggressive and didn't look to score. In addition his defense was awful...he is out of position a lot leaving 3 pt shooters on his side wide open. Patterson had a great opportunity and failed -- couldn't make an outside shot. Roberson fortunately hit a couple baseline shots late (in addition to great rebounding) which was just enough to get out with a 2 pt win after the PUTRID display of Syracuse free throw shooting the last 2 minutes. 6 straight 1 out of 2 followed by a double miss by Buss. It would have been justice for that last VT 3 at the buzzer to go in.

This team has a problem maintaining focus when they have a nice lead at halftime. Disgraceful 2nd half performance in every phase of the game against a nothing team with no size. All the scoring comes from 2 guys -- Cooney and Rak. Cooney went cold and they denied Rak the ball, packing the paint. Nobody else stepped up. Gbinije was not aggressive and didn't look to score. In addition his defense was awful...he is out of position a lot leaving 3 pt shooters on his side wide open. Patterson had a great opportunity and failed -- couldn't make an outside shot. Roberson fortunately hit a couple baseline shots late (in addition to great rebounding) which was just enough to get out with a 2 pt win after the PUTRID display of Syracuse free throe shooting the last 2 minutes. 6 straight 1 out of 2 followed by a double miss by Buss. It would have been justice for that last VT 3 at the buzzer to go in.

That was a huge jumper by Roberson from the baseline. I might give him the game ball for that alone.

Onward!

General-William-Sherman.jpg

i just cant get over the lack of run for our best recruit in 15 years. its not like he did nothing. he had 7 boards and 3 blocks in 18 minutes. starting to look like a 50/50 split with Chris and Roberson

GoHamSU said:
No, it's not. That was the biggest joke I've seen in years. It doesn't make sense. I've NEVER seen anything like that down the stretch. All second half, launching jumpers while rak is >>>> better than anyone on the floor. This team feeds of each other in a negative way more than any team I've ever seen. What the actual F.

Must have just started watching SU basketball recently. We almost always have a game like this, people poop their pants, and they play better (or not).

No, it's not.

It doesn't make sense.

What the actual F.
Just when I was going to like your post, then I read it. <kidding of course>

However, I guess I'm in the minority that I do believe a win is a win when it comes to conference play and ESPECIALLY with the team we have. Let's be realistic... we are playing our a$$ off right now for a bid for the NCAA tourney. Like most years when we are playing for a better seed, this ain't one of them (as you very well know). That being the case, it will likely come down to one or two games; therefore, I see EVERY game now as a big win however we can get it.

Last edited:
just want to ask the posters in this thread saying we're a terrible team and this was a horrendous game...
if players had made, say, 70% of those free throws in the final two minutes instead of the 35% they did, and vTech missed 1 or 2 of the 3pt bombs they did, and we won the game by 10-12... would you still be on here going nuts about how terrible we are?

just want to ask the posters in this thread saying we're a terrible team and this was a horrendous game...
if players had made, say, 70% of those free throws in the final two minutes instead of the 35% they did, and vTech missed 1 or 2 of the 3pt bombs they did, and we won the game by 10-12... would you still be on here going nuts about how terrible we are?

We are far from a terrible team, we are all spoiled, for a Syracuse bball team this is one of the worst teams we have put out here in several years, but we are far from terrible.

We are far from a terrible team, we are all spoiled, for a Syracuse bball team this is one of the worst teams we have put out here in several years, but we are far from terrible.
Yeah, since Boeheim has been coaching we average 25 wins a season or something like that. That's just nuts.

That's all fine and dandy but it is looking more and more that these types of endings of games is reality. We crumble under pressure and were fortunate to escape today. If you want to play the what ifs game then how about what if VA Tech's suspended player played? What if they made a couple more of the wide open 1H looks they had? What is clearly reality now is that SU crumbles with big leads. They become turnover prone, lose composure, can't hit free throws, and can't get the proper players the ball to shoot the FTs.

Last edited:

Its not worth trying to get people to see your perspective on this team with any hypothetical scenarios. This SU team could have won, playing a perfect game, shooting 100% from 2PT, 3PT and FT, blocked 15 shots and held the other team to 0% FG for the entire game and all our players, walk-ons included, got 25 min in the game. And you know what? There would be posts about how our uniforms suck (see the Football board), how we only play zone, or something else that is wrong with SU Basketball.

For what its worth, the team we saw today is just what they were today. They'll either improve, which I believe the trajectory is, or they won't. Its not the end product and it we can't judge this team until the final game of our season, at which point we can second-guess everything about SU Basketball. I'm pretty darn pleased with Roberson's play, Patterson holding his own for the most part, Cooney playing the leader and the remarkable consistency of Rak. There is plenty of ceiling for this team and I'm excited to see how they develop. So while this team is not the best team in the ACC, there is potential and I'd like to see how far they go.

At least that's why I watch SU Basketball.

Its not worth trying to get people to see your perspective on this team with any hypothetical scenarios. This SU team could have won, playing a perfect game, shooting 100% from 2PT, 3PT and FT, blocked 15 shots and held the other team to 0% FG for the entire game and all our players, walk-ons included, got 25 min in the game. And you know what? There would be posts about how our uniforms suck (see the Football board), how we only play zone, or something else that is wrong with SU Basketball.

For what its worth, the team we saw today is just what they were today. They'll either improve, which I believe the trajectory is, or they won't. Its not the end product and it we can't judge this team until the final game of our season, at which point we can second-guess everything about SU Basketball. I'm pretty darn pleased with Roberson's play, Patterson holding his own for the most part, Cooney playing the leader and the remarkable consistency of Rak. There is plenty of ceiling for this team and I'm excited to see how they develop. So while this team is not the best team in the ACC, there is potential and I'd like to see how far they go.

At least that's why I watch SU Basketball.
Great post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom