About Sidibe | Syracusefan.com

About Sidibe

SBU72

All Conference
I know medical issues are supose to be more or less confidential, but is Sidibe problem an ankle sprain of some nature or tendenist or a conbination of the two. If it is more tendenist, do big men ever fully recover from that or will it be a cronic issue? He showed a lot of promise early and like others I liked his play, but will he ever be the same? So many want to count on him but can they? Is there real hope that he can play major minutes this year. Legs on big men can be so tricky.

He has a severe case of tendonitis. The ankle isn't an issue anymore. He's received treatments and there's a band under the knee. He's not close to 100%. Will he be able to help us? Hopefully. But you also have to expect some rust. My hope is he can give us a few minutes a half and maybe more down the line as he knocks off the rust and the tendonitis continues to get better.

Last edited:
He has a severe case of tendinitis. The ankle isn't an issue anymore. He's received treatments and there's a band under the knee. He's not close to 100%. Will he be able to help us? Hopefully. But you also have to expect some rust. My hope is he can give us a few minutes a half and maybe more down the line as he knocks off the rust and the tendinitis continues to get better.
Well, at least the ankle is a non-factor now, that's a big plus.

Marek has done well at the 5, but I shutter at the possibility of Marek and PC both having 2 fouls by the 10 minute TO in the 1st half in the Duke game. Thankfully, the ACC isn't as "big" as in years past (namely, UNC).

Having Sidibe able to provide what you said iommi would be a positive. If he gives us 10 minutes total a game and can play solid defense I think we'd take that.

It sounded like JB said BS did NOT want to redshirt - so I'm glad they resisted using the RS for that reason. JB said he only redshirts people who want to redshirt (the BJ Johnson situation proves that I guess).

Marek has done well at the 5, but I shutter at the possibility of Marek and PC both having 2 fouls by the 10 minute TO in the 1st half in the Duke game. Thankfully, the ACC isn't as "big" as in years past (namely, UNC).

Having Sidibe able to provide what you said iommi would be a positive. If he gives us 10 minutes total a game and can play solid defense I think we'd take that.

It sounded like JB said BS did NOT want to redshirt - so I'm glad they resisted using the RS for that reason. JB said he only redshirts people who want to redshirt (the BJ Johnson situation proves that I guess).

The prospect of Sidibe playing solid defense is cloudy if his mobility is still compromised. JB said he practiced hard yesterday, that's a good sign, provided that hard practicing included some lateral mobility. I feel better about things with all of the treatments he's received but we need to see it on the court. I just want him to elevate for a rebound or a dunk and I'll feel a lot better.

The prospect of Sidibe playing solid defense is cloudy if his mobility is still compromised. JB said he practiced hard yesterday, that's a good sign, provided that hard practicing included some lateral mobility. I feel better about things with all of the treatments he's received but we need to see it on the court. I just want him to elevate for a rebound or a dunk and I'll feel a lot better.
yep the jumping part will be the real indicator

Come on...these are ACC refs and we are playing Duke

They'll each have 3 fouls within 10 minutes

BJ. That kid would be a senior for us had he redshirted, correct? Would love to see him in Orange shooting the three this year.

Marek has done well at the 5, but I shutter at the possibility of Marek and PC both...
and i shudder at the thought of marek manning the 5. he's a pencil waiting to be pushed.

Last edited:
He has a severe case of tendinitis. The ankle isn't an issue anymore. He's received treatments and there's a band under the knee. He's not close to 100%. Will he be able to help us? Hopefully. But you also have to expect some rust. My hope is he can give us a few minutes a half and maybe more down the line as he knocks off the rust and the tendinitis continues to get better.
In my experience, tendonitis requires rest to get better. No practice, no games - rest. Having him practice and play two minutes per game isn't going to help anyone. He should have been put on the shelf three weeks ago.

In my experience, tendonitis requires rest to get better. No practice, no games - rest. Having him practice and play two minutes per game isn't going to help anyone. He should have been put on the shelf three weeks ago.

You can’t completely rest or it never heals that way either.

You can’t completely rest or it never heals that way either.
Fine, rest and therapy (i.e. ice and heat and rehab exercises. Is that better? My point was that running and jumping in practice and playing sparingly in games isn't going to heal him. Those are the activities that wood make it flare up.

Fine, rest and therapy (i.e. ice and heat and rehab exercises. Is that better? My point was that running and jumping in practice and playing sparingly in games isn't going to heal him. Those are the activities that wood make it flare up.

I don't doubt you one bit. Hopefully the treatments they've done have worked.

so the consensus is SU staff is clueless about tendinitis and throwing caution to the wind with a player's health?

so the consensus is SU staff is clueless about tendinitis and throwing caution to the wind with a player's health?

I don’t think so. I think Bourama wants to play and it won’t do damage to the knee. It’ll be about pain management. He doesn’t want to sit and hope it gets better. That’ll be what the offseason is for.

Are college medical staffs able to give physicals before giving offers out like a pro team would during a trade or free agent signing?

If yes, why would we take him?

Are college medical staffs able to give physicals before giving offers out like a pro team would during a trade or free agent signing?

The answer is no, they don't give scholarships conditioned upon passing a physical. But why would you withdraw a scholarship offer because a kid has tendinitis? It's rarely disabling. If its not resolved this season, it will more than likely be resolved by next season.

But let's say you could withdraw the scholarship if a player failed a medical exam. How would that work in Sidibe's case exactly, he played at what appeared to be a high level the first couple of games. It's not like he came in injured.

No.

Unlike the NFL Combines, schools are NOT permitted to "poke and prod" recruits during recruitment.

No.

Unlike the NFL Combines, schools are NOT permitted to "poke and prod" recruits during recruitment.

That's kind of too bad. Schools put a lot of risk into taking these guys in.

That's kind of too bad. Schools put a lot of risk into taking these guys in.

They actually don't take that much risk. They offer a one year scholarship and up until recently were completely free to not offer it for a second year if they chose not to (in other words run a guy off). Rosters are 13 deep and schools, when they aren't on probation, are free to recruit a full roster of players. Some coaches even develop the backups on the roster so that when a player goes down they have options.

Sidibe is a mid level incoming freshman. But for sanctions and our problems with roster management the last year or two, we really shouldn't feel that big of an impact from an injury to a incoming player of Sidibe's caliber.

They actually don't take that much risk. They offer a one year scholarship and up until recently were completely free to not offer it for a second year if they chose not to (in other words run a guy off). Rosters are 13 deep and schools, when they aren't on probation, are free to recruit a full roster of players. Some coaches even develop the backups on the roster so that when a player goes down they have options.

Sidibe is a mid level incoming freshman. But for sanctions and our problems with roster management the last year or two, we really shouldn't feel that big of an impact from an injury to a incoming player of Sidibe's caliber.

Good points all around.

Good post. This kid need a minimum of 2 months of rehab. I dont believe our staff is on top of how to treat chronic tendonitis.