About yesterday. | Syracusefan.com

About yesterday.

Hoo's That

Living Legend
The woofing that took place after UVa's goals was totally unacceptable. It was an embarrassment to me as a UVa fan, alum, and former player. I hardly think I'm the only one who feels that way. I certainly hope that Lars addresses it with the team ASAP. It can't be repeated. Joe Yevoli transferred from UVa to SU for the 2006 season and I don't remember anything remotely close to yesterday's behavior happening. The players' explanation for why it happened won't qualify as an excuse let alone a valid reason.

Last edited:
The woofing that took place after UVa's goals was totally unacceptable. It was an embarrassment to me as a UVa fan, alum, and former player. I hardly think I'm not the only one who feels that way. I certainly hope that Lars addresses it with the team ASAP. It can't be repeated. Joe Yevoli transferred from UVa to SU for the 2006 season and I don't remember anything remtely close to yesterday's behavior happening. The players' explanation for why it happened won't qualify as an excuse let alone a valid reason.
That aside, the Hoos looked really good all over the field. I thought they played their best game so far this season. I had them at number 1 to start the season, flipped them with Maryland to 2 after the High Point game, and now I am rethinking that. In my opinion, it's a 3 horse race right now: Virginia, Maryland, and Georgetown. It's very early in the season, but that's how I see it right now.

If anything it just makes me curious what set that off? Fortunately this is not standard behavior from the Hoos. It has usually been an intense but overall friendly rivalry, minus the hits of course.

Reading the Inside Lacrosse article about the game mentions nothing about this and in fact it concluded stating that when the game ended several Virginia players went to Gavin and exchanged hugs/handshakes with smiles all around. All it mentions about the intensity was the fact that there were 15 penalties and several shoving matches. Would be interested in the backstory though, I mean are there that many players that bitter about transfering?

Reading the Inside Lacrosse article about the game mentions nothing about this and in fact it concluded stating that when the game ended several Virginia players went to Gavin and exchanged hugs/handshakes with smiles all around. All it mentions about the intensity was the fact that there were 15 penalties and several shoving matches. Would be interested in the backstory though, I mean are there that many players that bitter about transfering?
It may have been something involving the circumstances of the transfer. As I said, when Yevoli transferred to SU for the 2006 season, there was no woofing at all in the two games I saw (regular season and NCAA semi).

eh whatever. They’re kids, situation is intense. Of course you want kids to be humble but everyone woofs these days. Officials should have controlled that early on. More their fault than anything.

The woofing that took place after UVa's goals was totally unacceptable. It was an embarrassment to me as a UVa fan, alum, and former player. I hardly think I'm the only one who feels that way. I certainly hope that Lars addresses it with the team ASAP. It can't be repeated. Joe Yevoli transferred from UVa to SU for the 2006 season and I don't remember anything remotely close to yesterday's behavior happening. The players' explanation for why it happened won't qualify as an excuse let alone a valid reason.
Respect Hoo. Much talk and emotions in alot of games. Any taunts problably stemmed from Gavin saying he was slated to be uva #1 goalie before violation, thought comment was unnecessary and some would take exception to it even if true. Sure Lars addressed and it's over and done with no carryover. Nunes looked very good.

I hope SU is following UVA's trajectory: a short trough after the conflicted replacement of a long-time successful coach followed by a precipitous ascent.

As a fan of neither team I noticed instantly that the UVA players were yelling in Gavin's face after each goal and was very surprised the refs didn't call anything because that's usually the kind of thing they loooove to call

I thought it was odd they where allowed to direct yelling etc towards but ACC refs and all just figured it was another miss by them...

Very disappointed to hear about the woofing at Gavin. However, Gavin should not have discussed his suspension or alleged depth chart ranking at UVA with the media. I'm not sure that Cuse made a wise decision in taking a transfer with a season-long suspension at another school, regardless of the background. This, on the heels of the Scanlan saga and other issues of last season. I will be happy to be proven wrong! We don't need any more "noise" this year.

I tried to find info about Gavin's suspension and came across a UVA board, that is basically unreadable, yikes...
Really makes you feel great about this one :)

Very disappointed to hear about the woofing at Gavin. However, Gavin should not have discussed his suspension or alleged depth chart ranking at UVA with the media. I'm not sure that Cuse made a wise decision in taking a transfer with a season-long suspension at another school, regardless of the background. This, on the heels of the Scanlan saga and other issues of last season. I will be happy to be proven wrong! We don't need any more "noise" this year.
i figured if he was playing, he'd be asked about the transfer at some point and we might know more. given uva had kept it under their hat by luck or circumstance, an outsider's read might be would've been better for him to take a pass on the question. getting out there that he was maybe a presumed #1 to start it out probably doesn't outweigh the cloak and dagger suspension narrative.

and would guess that led to the woofing along with maybe whatever happened. the refs were talking up the uva players after the 2nd instance. probably then told the hoo coaches that was enough. could've tossed a flag, too, but in any event that seemed to be the end of it. wish they would've put someone in the box for some penal lessons, but on to cincinnati.

If Gavin is answering a question he shouldn't in the media then that is 1000% on Cuse's PR team/SID. He's a college student with no real media training and that is exactly why Cuse people are supposed to be there telling him what to do. It's utterly baffling how Cuse continues to bungle these sorts of things (Scanlan fiasco, Spallina NIL/Gait's reaction, etc.) when it has a world-class journalism and media school.

Would love to know what he specifically said and what the question was. Was his answer an across the board no-no or was it just an answer that would get current UVA players ticked off? Did he cross a line or did he cross the salty UVA players line? If it is just the latter, then is this really a big deal? I doubt his answer includes specifically what he was suspended for right? Beyond something like that being in his answer, this seems like a bunch of nothing, as was the Spallina NIL/Gait thing.

Would love to know what he specifically said and what the question was. Was his answer an across the board no-no or was it just an answer that would get current UVA players ticked off? Did he cross a line or did he cross the salty UVA players line? If it is just the latter, then is this really a big deal? I doubt his answer includes specifically what he was suspended for right? Beyond something like that being in his answer, this seems like a bunch of nothing, as was the Spallina NIL/Gait thing.

Here's what he said according to the Syracuse.com article. I don't think he says anything outlandish and it doesn't seem like he needs the SIDs to silence him. Doesn't he deserve the chance to defend himself here? He's got television commentators telling their audience that he was beat out of a job. If he believes he that he didn't get beat out, then he should say something! If saying "I was ranked no. 1 all fall" is going to set you off then maybe its time to get some sort of anger management.

Gavin had been in a competition with a top freshman recruit, and it seemed like he had been beat out for the starting job.

But the San Diego native gave another reason for leaving Virginia last semester: He wouldn’t be able to play this spring because of a violation of team rules.

“I was ranked No. 1 all fall,” Gavin said Wednesday, three days before suiting up against his former team when No. 9 Syracuse (1-1) travels to No. 2 Virginia (3-0).

“I had a team violation, so I couldn’t play the rest of the year.”

Gavin did not say more about the nature of the violation.

SU coaches reviewed the matter when recruiting Gavin.

Minor, good kid . Lars just a stickler extreme. Hoo likely knows that to be true

Here's what he said according to the Syracuse.com article. I don't think he says anything outlandish and it doesn't seem like he needs the SIDs to silence him. Doesn't he deserve the chance to defend himself here? He's got television commentators telling their audience that he was beat out of a job. If he believes he that he didn't get beat out, then he should say something! If saying "I was ranked no. 1 all fall" is going to set you off then maybe its time to get some sort of anger management.

Gavin had been in a competition with a top freshman recruit, and it seemed like he had been beat out for the starting job.

But the San Diego native gave another reason for leaving Virginia last semester: He wouldn’t be able to play this spring because of a violation of team rules.

“I was ranked No. 1 all fall,” Gavin said Wednesday, three days before suiting up against his former team when No. 9 Syracuse (1-1) travels to No. 2 Virginia (3-0).

“I had a team violation, so I couldn’t play the rest of the year.”

Gavin did not say more about the nature of the violation.

SU coaches reviewed the matter when recruiting Gavin.
he didn't say anything outlandish, and he can defend himself if he wants. nobody is set off other than some trash talking and maybe some ill will.

the problem (that will likely blow over) is that this is now a discussion at all. here, in back channels with players, media. if you want to call it a problem. game casts and pubs will now say he was suspended instead of beat out. there may be questions about why, and scanlan will maybe be brought up. is that better? imo, it would've been more prudent to let it die.

as i said a month ago, people that said the reason he transferred was he got beat out might not be correct. there are times to ignore what uninformed people say, this may have been one of them. but his call. anyway, supposedly there were a lot of genuine reunion hellos postgame.

Last edited:
he didn't say anything outlandish, and he can defend himself if he wants. nobody is set off other than some trash talking and maybe some ill will.

the problem (that will likely blow over) is that this is now a discussion at all. here, in back channels with players, media. if you want to call it a problem. game casts and pubs will now say he was suspended instead of beat out. there may be questions about why, and scanlan will maybe be brought up. is that better? imo, it would've been more prudent to let it die.

as i said a month ago, people that said the reason he transferred was he got beat out might not be correct. there are times to ignore what uninformed people say, this may have been one of them. but his call. anyway, supposedly there were a lot of genuine reunion hellos postgame.
Anyone who brings up Scanlan in relation to this Gavin situation is a complete and total idiot. Even the click hungry idiots at syracuse.com would not go so far as to compare the two situations. Maybe not worth it to say, but anyone who mentions Scanlan in the same breath as this would be called out for their own stupidity.

Doctah you are simply wrong here. Scanlon was a troubled kid who came to SU through the portal. Gavin is a kid with trouble at UVA who comes to SU through the portal. Relationship is there, and Scanlon is germane to the conversation. Gavin admits he was suspended, and did not enter portal for "play time". There are no "references provided" in the portal, and buyer beware.

Doctah you are simply wrong here. Scanlon was a troubled kid who came to SU through the portal. Gavin is a kid with trouble at UVA who comes to SU through the portal. Relationship is there, and Scanlon is germane to the conversation. Gavin admits he was suspended, and did not enter portal for "play time". There are no "references provided" in the portal, and buyer beware.
How do you know that Gavin didn't have to provide references to get into Syracuse?