About yesterday. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

About yesterday.

Doctah you are simply wrong here. Scanlon was a troubled kid who came to SU through the portal. Gavin is a kid with trouble at UVA who comes to SU through the portal. Relationship is there, and Scanlon is germane to the conversation. Gavin admits he was suspended, and did not enter portal for "play time". There are no "references provided" in the portal, and buyer beware.
Im sorry but you are going to need a boatload more evidence than "suspended for unknown issue" before talking about him in the same breath as a guy who actually in real life engaged in domestic abuse, DUI, etc. That is crazy. There is no relationship there. We know the horrible things that Scanlon did. Everyone suspended for an unknown issue cannot be talked about like the next Scanlan waiting in the wings. That would be slanderous nonsense. Gait and staff reviewed before he came aboard. They are well aware what went down last year. End of story.

Because that isn't how the portal works. You enter your name and contact information. You think that Gait picked up the phone and called Tiffany? "Yo Lars, it's Gary. Tell me about Bobby Gavin. Is he good in the locker room? What is the upside? Why did you suspend him? Was he really better than Nunes?" Absurd. As I said, the portal comes without references. You could call his HS or Club coach, maybe do a criminal background check or ask for a physical. But that is about all coaches have to make a decision. As to "getting into Syracuse", I assume you are referencing school. I doubt he had to do anything more than submit a transcript. He was in the portal for 5 days before he matriculated into SU. So I doubt if they did any of those things.

Gavin handled himself great on the field and in the interview. Glad he is here, and hope it works out for him. Also think the refs should have put a stop to taunting and unsportsmanlike toward him immediately. I am not bashing the kid. I am saying the transfer portal is buyer beware. Maybe Lars is a stickler Gavin simply couldn't get to class on time.

Because that isn't how the portal works. You enter your name and contact information. You think that Gait picked up the phone and called Tiffany? "Yo Lars, it's Gary. Tell me about Bobby Gavin. Is he good in the locker room? What is the upside? Why did you suspend him? Was he really better than Nunes?" Absurd. As I said, the portal comes without references. You could call his HS or Club coach, maybe do a criminal background check or ask for a physical. But that is about all coaches have to make a decision. As to "getting into Syracuse", I assume you are referencing school. I doubt he had to do anything more than submit a transcript. He was in the portal for 5 days before he matriculated into SU. So I doubt if they did any of those things.
It says above:

SU coaches reviewed the matter when recruiting Gavin.

Gavin handled himself great on the field and in the interview. Glad he is here, and hope it works out for him. Also think the refs should have put a stop to taunting and unsportsmanlike toward him immediately. I am not bashing the kid. I am saying the transfer portal is buyer beware. Maybe Lars is a stickler Gavin simply couldn't get to class on time.
Agree. A poster on our board said he thinks the refs came over to the UVa bench after the 2nd goal and told them to stop. Too little, too late. Should have thrown the flag for taunting on the first one.

Agree. A poster on our board said he thinks the refs came over to the UVa bench after the 2nd goal and told them to stop. Too little, too late. Should have thrown the flag for taunting on the first one.
I don't know. I sort of like to see lacrosse skills win games and not ref's calls. If the refs can end the behavior with a nice stiff warning, that would seem preferable to me.

I don't know. I sort of like to see lacrosse skills win games and not ref's calls. If the refs can end the behavior with a nice stiff warning, that would seem preferable to me.
Stiff warning the first time, flag the second time.

I'm sure most members already know this, but as a former ref I feel it needs to be stated again. There are rules specific to taunting, which I believe this is what the Virginia players did to Gavin. Here is an excerpt from Rule 5 - Personal and Expulsion Fouls:

"Unsportsmanlike Conduct SECTION 4. No player, substitute, nonplaying member of a squad, coach or anyone officially connected with a competing team shall:
a. Enter into an argument with an official (maligning) as to any decision that has been made or in any way attempt to influence the decision of an official.
b. Use threatening, profane or obscene language or gestures at any time before, during or after the game.
c. Bait, taunt, call undue attention to oneself, or commit any other act considered unsportsmanlike by the officials. Baiting and taunting is a one- to three-minute nonreleasable foul in all cases.

Note 1: If a player continues to be abusive after the penalty is assessed, the official may add additional nonreleasable fouls. Penalty time from these fouls counts toward the five-minute limit for fouling out. If a coach or bench players continue to be abusive after the penalty is assessed, the official may assess additional nonreleasable penalties that shall be served by an additional attack player (see Rule 7-4). Flagrant misconduct is an expulsion foul. (see Rules 5-13 and 5-14.) An expelled individual is barred from being in the competition area, including the spectator area."

Do the officials need to warn a player involved in taunting? Not really, they can just throw the flag. Is that what I would have done? Probably.

I get rules are rules.
If you go by the letter of the book all coaches would be thrown out for profanity.
Clearly with taunting right in the face of a player and the background of it all would have like to have seems penalty or at least a warning to the full team after the first one.