Absolute genius | Syracusefan.com

Absolute genius

Ok Townie, do you need any more of a cue to finally come forth and post? Two great defensive minds squared off in a battle for supremecy, and lo the game thread was filled with wimpering.

Ok Townie, do you need any more of a cue to finally come forth and post? Two great defensive minds squared off in a battle for supremecy, and lo the game thread was filled with wimpering.

I’ll pass, Captain.

The inadequacy of the opinions of the critics are there for everyone to see.

They are now in the position of not really being able to root for the team since these victories might encourage JB to stay longer.

JB is incompetent, too old, etc. according to these experts. They’d rather ignore JB beating UVA on the road since it doesn’t fit their preferred narrative.

I’ll pass, Captain.

They are now in the position of not really being able to root for the team since these victories might encourage JB to stay longer.

JB is incompetent, too old, etc. according to these experts. They’d rather ignore JB beating UVA on the road since it doesn’t fit their preferred narrative.

I'm kind of a middle of the road guy on a lot of things on here, but actually having you appear was the highlight of my session on here this time(I'm being sincere).

This is great news, because the many posts of the critics on here had started to effect my own perception. While typing this reply, my understanding of what today's victory meant to me actually changed.

This win could be a harbinger of things to come? It(and it being on ESPN) certainly doesn't harm recruiting, either.

Today is a good day, a nice reprieve from the doom and gloom. My rational side says this Virginia team is just woefully inept on offense and missed a ton of wide open shots... and that is not a recipe to expect a change in momentum going forward... but it... crazier things have happened. For one night I’ll feel good about hoops again.

Excellent game plan by JB. Forcing UVA to hit outside shots and running at almost every opportunity helped a lot. UVA a very well disciplined to play inside themselves, sticking to their game plan. Excellent coaching by Bennett, but even excellent coaching cannot account for losing the majority of your scoring offense from last' year's championship team.

JB had the team play their game and they gutted out a tough road victory. I know many people got upset with BB and JG3 shooting so many threes and missing them; yet every person that has played sports knows that you have to work your way out of a slump, waiting it out just makes matters worse. Yeah, there were things I wish our guys had not done, but overall, I liked the effort, overcoming a very good defensive team and not submitting to them, as is the Bennet/UVA game plan.

Today is a good day, a nice reprieve from the doom and gloom. My rational side says this Virginia team is just woefully inept on offense and missed a ton of wide open shots... and that is not a recipe to expect a change in momentum going forward... but it... crazier things have happened. For one night I’ll feel good about hoops again.

Man, I really appreciate this, it's a great attitude in my opinion. It's not often that I quote the same portion of a post in 2 consecutive posts.

That highlighted portion also reminded me of the Dave Matthews Band song, "Say Goodbye", which at face value is about one person wanting to be more than friends just for one night when the moment is right, which evedntually showed me the guy had an amazing comprehension of the inner workings of reality and ability to translate them into song lyrics that had the right balance of commonality and importance to speak to many, not to mention vocal ability that amplifies their reach even more. Not sure if anyone on here is familiar with the song, but I believe a lot of life if woven into it.

On a loosely related note, remembering DMB songs from back then compared to current new material(other than maybe Samurai Cop) also reminds me of comparing old SU teams to the current material. Maybe I was born to be a SU fan instead of a Duke fan to learn important lessons about life that wouldn't have been available otherwise. Who can rightly say?

Last edited:
I’ll pass, Captain.

Who is acting that way? I’m a critic, myself and the others who would like to see JB step aside are all here posting about the good win.

Unfortunately, we have years of recent data and you have one game.

Let’s all hope your argument gets bolstered.. Id rather be happy, watching Syracuse win, then mope around wondering when JB will retire.

Prefer when we beat, dominate teams either on defense or offense. We were able to win by the other team missing wide open threes and bunnies inside. Don’t get me wrong, prefer to win and like how we played in OT. Virginia is a bubble team this year and did not pay well against us or BC who like us will be lucky to make the NIT. Outside of Hughes who is tremendous on offense, defense and the glass we have many, many issues this year. Hope next year we bring in a few studs and turn it around. We have on of the best facilities, crowds in the NCAA we should be like Kansas, Gonzaga, MSU every year, a top 10 team or minimum top twenty during off years.

Prefer when we beat, dominate teams either on defense or offense. We were able to win by the other team missing wide open threes and bunnies inside. Don’t get me wrong, prefer to win and like how we played in OT. Virginia is a bubble team this year and did not pay well against us or BC who like us will be lucky to make the NIT. Outside of Hughes who is tremendous on offense, defense and the glass we have many, many issues this year. Hope next year we bring in a few studs and turn it around. We have on of the best facilities, crowds in the NCAA we should be like Kansas, Gonzaga, MSU every year, a top 10 team or minimum top twenty during off years.

no, we outplayed them. We made our share of mistakes too and shot like crap missing many 3s and bunnies too. Until OT.

Kind of a low bar for “genius,” letting a bad shooting team shoot from deep.
That same strategy, though, got VA back even with us when they were given space and hit back to back easy threes, while JG was then missing back to back stupid long shots, and then a third easy three.

Good, good win, against a #18 team. Forget about them being the last nat champion. They’re a limited team and a realistic #18.

Was this really enough to be considered a turning point, or proof of something else? Hope so. This game and the Notre Dame game (mostly) were enjoyable. That counts for something. But even the most pessimistic among us expected us to ‘upset’ a team or two.

Ok we outplayed them. They outplayed us at home, so we are equal with the exception they have four losses, one at home and we have seven including 3 at home. Let’s let the season play out and if we are in the NCAA will admit that I mis judged the talent on this team.

Who is acting that way? I’m a critic, myself and the others who would like to see JB step aside are all here posting about the good win.

Unfortunately, we have years of recent data and you have one game.

Let’s all hope your argument gets bolstered.. Id rather be happy, watching Syracuse win, then mope around wondering when JB will retire.

I mean cmon. “We have years of recent data and you have one game”. What a line of BS. We were in the sweet 16 two years ago and made the tournament last year. Made the final 4 in 2016 and 2013. Obv the regular season results haven’t been what we all want them to be but to blame that on coaching seems idiotic to me and quite frankly makes me think you have no idea what your talking about.

Also I didn’t notice any of “the others” posting here about the win yesterday.

Respectfully, I disagree with a few assertions above. JB guided the team through years of adversity and the excessive penalties, all for a phony investigation into what SU self admitted. The loss of scholarships, the injuries, missing on a few key recruits, etc. and yet JB has found ways to win, repeatedly. Then, to lose four starters from last year, lose our PG to injury in game 2, have a shooting guard step up at point, plus a few more injuries. Add to that JB has coached in two of the premier CBB leagues and coaches against more elite level coaches on a regular basis that most others will coach against in their career.

We are watching the team gel together and improve every game. While other teams start to wear down as they get into the meat of their schedule. our guys are getting their second wind and gelling together. JG3, an SG, is getting better at the PG role, and showing off what he can do from outside, the mid-range and the charity stripe. We are seeing Guerrier come off the bench and improve the base-line; sure, he needs to stop fouling and to calm down a little, but let's not forget, this time last year, he was dominating HS hoops in Montreal. QG was not intended to play this much this year. Are there problems? Yes. Are there issues that need work? Yes. The difference between JB and most coaches is that he figures it out, season after season, and wins.

The fact that we as fans are complaining that SU is not a Tourney team in spite of all the adversity is itself proof of JB's mastery of the game. Genius, if you will. How many coaches can win annually with every problem SU has faced over the last decade? The lists is a short one.

JB's genius lies not in recruiting, but in the fact that he will make lemonade out of any lemons he is given. He finds ways to win. He knows his opponents. He knows his players. While most of us as real fans can realize that UVA cannot shoot well from the outside and plays elite level defense; JB took players than many SU fans believe are not P5 level players and beat the same team. Sure, the game plan is simple, make the Cavs shoot from outside, pack the paint and score more than them. However, UVA has a say in how the game is played, they did not acquiesce one bit. JB inserted a little transition game, when possible. This messed up UVA, but they adjusted, as great teams do. JB continued to adjust. Bennett adjusted. And so it went, two great coaches getting everything out of their players. Not one kid on either team wanted to lose this game. Not one kid gave in, on either team.

Finally, when the kids worked through heir issues, they put together perhaps the best five minutes of hoops they have played all season and dominated UVA in OT. If coaching at P5 schools was so easy, we would all be qualified as coaches and the salaries would stink. We're all not qualified to coach at the P5 level, salaries are off the charts because most people cannot handle the pressure. JB handles the pressure and finds ways to win.

You are free to disagree, but history supports my arguments. Regardless, GO ORANGE!

Respectfully, I disagree with a few assertions above. JB guided the team through years of adversity and the excessive penalties, all for a phony investigation into what SU self admitted. The loss of scholarships, the injuries, missing on a few key recruits, etc. and yet JB has found ways to win, repeatedly. Then, to lose four starters from last year, lose our PG to injury in game 2, have a shooting guard step up at point, plus a few more injuries. Add to that JB has coached in two of the premier CBB leagues and coaches against more elite level coaches on a regular basis that most others will coach against in their career.

We are watching the team gel together and improve every game. While other teams start to wear down as they get into the meat of their schedule. our guys are getting their second wind and gelling together. JG3, an SG, is getting better at the PG role, and showing off what he can do from outside, the mid-range and the charity stripe. We are seeing Guerrier come off the bench and improve the base-line; sure, he needs to stop fouling and to calm down a little, but let's not forget, this time last year, he was dominating HS hoops in Montreal. QG was not intended to play this much this year. Are there problems? Yes. Are there issues that need work? Yes. The difference between JB and most coaches is that he figures it out, season after season, and wins.

The fact that we as fans are complaining that SU is not a Tourney team in spite of all the adversity is itself proof of JB's mastery of the game. Genius, if you will. How many coaches can win annually with every problem SU has faced over the last decade? The lists is a short one.

JB's genius lies not in recruiting, but in the fact that he will make lemonade out of any lemons he is given. He finds ways to win. He knows his opponents. He knows his players. While most of us as real fans can realize that UVA cannot shoot well from the outside and plays elite level defense; JB took players than many SU fans believe are not P5 level players and beat the same team. Sure, the game plan is simple, make the Cavs shoot from outside, pack the paint and score more than them. However, UVA has a say in how the game is played, they did not acquiesce one bit. JB inserted a little transition game, when possible. This messed up UVA, but they adjusted, as great teams do. JB continued to adjust. Bennett adjusted. And so it went, two great coaches getting everything out of their players. Not one kid on either team wanted to lose this game. Not one kid gave in, on either team.

Finally, when the kids worked through heir issues, they put together perhaps the best five minutes of hoops they have played all season and dominated UVA in OT. If coaching at P5 schools was so easy, we would all be qualified as coaches and the salaries would stink. We're all not qualified to coach at the P5 level, salaries are off the charts because most people cannot handle the pressure. JB handles the pressure and finds ways to win.

You are free to disagree, but history supports my arguments. Regardless, GO ORANGE!
You can argue the penalties didn't match the infractions, but calling it a phony investigation made me stop reading altogether. If you can't admit the SU team under JB's leadership violated the rules, I'm going to find the rest of your assertions less than compelling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom