Absolute genius | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Absolute genius

You can argue the penalties didn't match the infractions, but calling it a phony investigation made me stop reading altogether. If you can't admit the SU team under JB's leadership violated the rules, I'm going to find the rest of your assertions less than compelling.

I conceded the point that the team violated rules by acknowledging the self admission. The phony investigation was taking 8 years to prove what was self-admitted. Sure, an investigation was in order, but not 8 years and the massive expenses included in 8 years of investigation to prove that SU self-reported the violations. For comparison, see PEDState, UNC, Auburn.

Usually, you catch these things. I will concede that I usually will define some of the more extreme remarks so they make sense within context, if I caused confusion, that is on me.

I conceded the point that the team violated rules by acknowledging the self admission. The phony investigation was taking 8 years to prove what was self-admitted. Sure, an investigation was in order, but not 8 years and the massive expenses included in 8 years of investigation to prove that SU self-reported the violations. For comparison, see PEDState, UNC, Auburn.

Usually, you catch these things. I will concede that I usually will define some of the more extreme remarks so they make sense within context, if I caused confusion, that is on me.
We kept screwing up. If we had stayed clean, the investigation is likely done in far less time.

I probably jumped on you harder than I meant to, but we screwed up. That shouldn't be forgotten. Much of it was self inflicted, as well as self reported.

We kept screwing up. If we had stayed clean, the investigation is likely done in far less time.

I probably jumped on you harder than I meant to, but we screwed up. That shouldn't be forgotten. Much of it was self inflicted, as well as self reported.
You are correct to keep our own part in view.

Respectfully, I disagree with a few assertions above. JB guided the team through years of adversity and the excessive penalties, all for a phony investigation into what SU self admitted. The loss of scholarships, the injuries, missing on a few key recruits, etc. and yet JB has found ways to win, repeatedly. Then, to lose four starters from last year, lose our PG to injury in game 2, have a shooting guard step up at point, plus a few more injuries. Add to that JB has coached in two of the premier CBB leagues and coaches against more elite level coaches on a regular basis that most others will coach against in their career.

We are watching the team gel together and improve every game. While other teams start to wear down as they get into the meat of their schedule. our guys are getting their second wind and gelling together. JG3, an SG, is getting better at the PG role, and showing off what he can do from outside, the mid-range and the charity stripe. We are seeing Guerrier come off the bench and improve the base-line; sure, he needs to stop fouling and to calm down a little, but let's not forget, this time last year, he was dominating HS hoops in Montreal. QG was not intended to play this much this year. Are there problems? Yes. Are there issues that need work? Yes. The difference between JB and most coaches is that he figures it out, season after season, and wins.

The fact that we as fans are complaining that SU is not a Tourney team in spite of all the adversity is itself proof of JB's mastery of the game. Genius, if you will. How many coaches can win annually with every problem SU has faced over the last decade? The lists is a short one.

JB's genius lies not in recruiting, but in the fact that he will make lemonade out of any lemons he is given. He finds ways to win. He knows his opponents. He knows his players. While most of us as real fans can realize that UVA cannot shoot well from the outside and plays elite level defense; JB took players than many SU fans believe are not P5 level players and beat the same team. Sure, the game plan is simple, make the Cavs shoot from outside, pack the paint and score more than them. However, UVA has a say in how the game is played, they did not acquiesce one bit. JB inserted a little transition game, when possible. This messed up UVA, but they adjusted, as great teams do. JB continued to adjust. Bennett adjusted. And so it went, two great coaches getting everything out of their players. Not one kid on either team wanted to lose this game. Not one kid gave in, on either team.

Finally, when the kids worked through heir issues, they put together perhaps the best five minutes of hoops they have played all season and dominated UVA in OT. If coaching at P5 schools was so easy, we would all be qualified as coaches and the salaries would stink. We're all not qualified to coach at the P5 level, salaries are off the charts because most people cannot handle the pressure. JB handles the pressure and finds ways to win.

You are free to disagree, but history supports my arguments. Regardless, GO ORANGE!

This is well said. Agree with everything!

Think JB has had a rough go of it. Bernie Fine, sanctions, hop leaving, accident all of this has to put miles on a person especially if they are mid seventies. Listen he is a hall of game coach. Always best to retire at the top of your game not have to be dragged off the field. Also, great leaders make sure the program is in the hands of a great leader and pass the torch appropriately. I think Stoops for example made the right move, at the right time. perhaps the admin knows the deal and timelines, and or replacement would make me feel better if it was public.

Respectfully, I disagree with a few assertions above. JB guided the team through years of adversity and the excessive penalties, all for a phony investigation into what SU self admitted. The loss of scholarships, the injuries, missing on a few key recruits, etc. and yet JB has found ways to win, repeatedly. Then, to lose four starters from last year, lose our PG to injury in game 2, have a shooting guard step up at point, plus a few more injuries. Add to that JB has coached in two of the premier CBB leagues and coaches against more elite level coaches on a regular basis that most others will coach against in their career.

We are watching the team gel together and improve every game. While other teams start to wear down as they get into the meat of their schedule. our guys are getting their second wind and gelling together. JG3, an SG, is getting better at the PG role, and showing off what he can do from outside, the mid-range and the charity stripe. We are seeing Guerrier come off the bench and improve the base-line; sure, he needs to stop fouling and to calm down a little, but let's not forget, this time last year, he was dominating HS hoops in Montreal. QG was not intended to play this much this year. Are there problems? Yes. Are there issues that need work? Yes. The difference between JB and most coaches is that he figures it out, season after season, and wins.

The fact that we as fans are complaining that SU is not a Tourney team in spite of all the adversity is itself proof of JB's mastery of the game. Genius, if you will. How many coaches can win annually with every problem SU has faced over the last decade? The lists is a short one.

JB's genius lies not in recruiting, but in the fact that he will make lemonade out of any lemons he is given. He finds ways to win. He knows his opponents. He knows his players. While most of us as real fans can realize that UVA cannot shoot well from the outside and plays elite level defense; JB took players than many SU fans believe are not P5 level players and beat the same team. Sure, the game plan is simple, make the Cavs shoot from outside, pack the paint and score more than them. However, UVA has a say in how the game is played, they did not acquiesce one bit. JB inserted a little transition game, when possible. This messed up UVA, but they adjusted, as great teams do. JB continued to adjust. Bennett adjusted. And so it went, two great coaches getting everything out of their players. Not one kid on either team wanted to lose this game. Not one kid gave in, on either team.

Finally, when the kids worked through heir issues, they put together perhaps the best five minutes of hoops they have played all season and dominated UVA in OT. If coaching at P5 schools was so easy, we would all be qualified as coaches and the salaries would stink. We're all not qualified to coach at the P5 level, salaries are off the charts because most people cannot handle the pressure. JB handles the pressure and finds ways to win.

You are free to disagree, but history supports my arguments. Regardless, GO ORANGE!
54F8F5A2-A556-4BF7-A8DD-E3B19D8AB48C.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom