acc 9, b1g 1 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

acc 9, b1g 1

I think the blowout of the B1G is happening because the ACC won nearly all/all the games that were expected to be competitive. I look at your game as one of those. Your team wasn't viewed as outrageously better than the Twerps in the pre-season evaluations and the Twerps weren't viewed as outrageously better than you.

Actually, we were picked for 12th in the ACC at media day, and Maryland was picked 5th in the Big 10. So this was quite a good win for us, compared to what we were expecting (dreading) for this season.

Actually, we were picked for 12th in the ACC at media day, and Maryland was picked 5th in the Big 10. So this was quite a good win for us, compared to what we were expecting (dreading) for this season.
No two ways about it, it's definitely a feather in your cap! For some reason, a lot of these matchups seem to me like they just drew names out of a hat. The only one that seems to have worked out to be comparable vs. comparable is tonight's ND-Sparty game based on where they both are in the polls right now.

No two ways about it, it's definitely a feather in your cap! For some reason, a lot of these matchups seem to me like they just drew names out of a hat. The only one that seems to have worked out to be comparable vs. comparable is tonight's ND-Sparty game based on where they both are in the polls right now.
Tough to make the match-ups comparable when one conference is so far behind the other.

Duke vs Minnesota or UNC/Minnesota would have been the next comparable match-up after ND/MSU, so you can see how that trickles down. The B1G has two ranked teams and only Michigan/Purdue receiving votes in the Coaches' Poll. The ACC has 6 ranked and 3 receiving votes. Tough to have even matchups, on paper.

Would love to see Ohio State beat Wisconsin and be left out of the college football playoff and would love to see the Big get just 3 or 4 tournament teams.

Up until this thrashing MSU has put on Notre Dame the only good wins they have is Purdue over Louisville and MSU over UNC.

The most significant thing I have learned watching the ACC BIG10 challange (two power 5 bball conferences) is that a majority of college bball teams are limited offensively and struggle for long stretches during games. SU has three players in Battle, Howard and Brissett that can create their own shot with the ball. Most teams do not have three guys who can let alone three that they can play together naturally. Most teams have one or two of these guys and then shooters or post players who need others to get them the ball in the right places and situations. If Thorpe can be a guy off the bench who can consistently create his own shots and both he and Brissett can hit 3's in the mid to high 30's % then we will be fine offensively.

The most significant thing I have learned watching the ACC BIG10 challange (two power 5 bball conferences) is that a majority of college bball teams are limited offensively and struggle for long stretches during games. SU has three players in Battle, Howard and Brissett that can create their own shot with the ball. Most teams do not have three guys who can let alone three that they can play together naturally. Most teams have one or two of these guys and then shooters or post players who need others to get them the ball in the right places and situations. If Thorpe can be a guy off the bench who can consistently create his own shots and both he and Brissett can hit 3's in the mid to high 30's % then we will be fine offensively.

Agree with most of this. That last sentence, while definitely true, is asking an awful lot. Thorpe so far has shown no ability to create (or even to score in any fashion). And it is just extremely unlikely that brisset shoots at or over 35 percent from three. That would be really good! Right now brisset is not a good shooter. He's shooting 32 percent from the field(!!), 25 percent from 3 and 65 percent from the line. The first number will improve and hopefully the other two will inch up some. But expecting him to make a leap from poor shooter to good one as a freshman is asking a lot. (I love brisset, think he's already a great player, and think he will be a star next year. This is not anti-Oshae. It's just that he's good at almost everything except shooting.)

But he is great at rebounding his own shot.

Agree with most of this. That last sentence, while definitely true, is asking an awful lot. Thorpe so far has shown no ability to create (or even to score in any fashion). And it is just extremely unlikely that brisset shoots at or over 35 percent from three. That would be really good! Right now brisset is not a good shooter. He's shooting 32 percent from the field(!!), 25 percent from 3 and 65 percent from the line. The first number will improve and hopefully the other two will inch up some. But expecting him to make a leap from poor shooter to good one as a freshman is asking a lot. (I love brisset, think he's already a great player, and think he will be a star next year. This is not anti-Oshae. It's just that he's good at almost everything except shooting.)

I hear you, and that's a valid point. I I'm also high on Oshae even if his shooting doesn't improve dramatically. JB has yet to Voice or show displeasure with him taking those long jumpers which leads me to believe he makes them in practice regularly. Also when he takes his time his jump shot looks good and usually goes in or goes in and pops out. It's when he hurries just a bit that it's off usually from side to side. I think he's got a lot of energy and it might causing him to rush his shot during games a tad bit. As far as Geno he will be able to shoot 35+% if he gets enough time to be in a rythm. To get that time he's got to be solid with decision making when dribbling and passing. He just doesn't seem to have the feel of what we are suppossed to be doing offensively.

There should be a different "challenge" among the r power conferences every week. You could get it done in 10 weeks. Each team would play 5 games against power conference teams. They could play the crappy teams on weeknights. It would be fun and it would give the NCAA committee a good measure of how strong the conferences are in a particular years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom