ACC and Notre Dame: TV contracts and ACC Network... | Syracusefan.com

ACC and Notre Dame: TV contracts and ACC Network...

arbitragegls

All Conference
Some good news possible---we need all we can get:

The following link is a good read on Swofford's view of the ACC-Notre Dame insofar as TV and an ACC network. Top line, and obviously this interview took place before the realignment craze lifted its ugly head again, is that ACC and Notre Dame are fairly close as to TV contracts: NBC-ESPN and that an ACC Network-like the BTN- is possible and not that difficult to get done:

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-swofford-outtakes,0,2623118.story

The following link is a good read on Swofford's view of the ACC-Notre Dame insofar as TV and an ACC network. Top line, and obviously this interview took place before the realignment craze lifted its ugly head again, is that ACC and Notre Dame are fairly close as to TV contracts: NBC-ESPN and that an ACC Network-like the BTN- is possible and not that difficult to get done:

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-swofford-outtakes,0,2623118.story
Been waiting for you to chime in on this since the Mizzou chat!

ACC should invite Navy for football
Gtown for BBall
- That gets your Baltimore/DC viewership back that UMd left
Call ESPN to back up the money truck
Invite ND, they could schedule USC and stanford alternating years OOC

Conference stabilized

Adding UND to the ACC would spike that TV contract so high...it'd rival SEC money.

ACC is working with both NBC-ESPN-Raycom...discussing this...sorry if not communicated from article...discussions already underway.

ACC should invite Navy for football
Gtown for BBall
- That gets your Baltimore/DC viewership back that UMd left
Call ESPN to back up the money truck
Invite ND, they could schedule USC and stanford alternating years OOC

Conference stabilized

My dream of walking 2 blocks to an ACC game aside (I don't actually want that and I really don't want to live here anymore anyway), having VT and UVA gives you more eyeballs in DC for football than Navy. Gives you more than Maryland too. DC is secure.

I'm not as sure about Baltimore, but as someone who lives equal distance between the 2 cities, one (and it's metro area suburbs) seems about a thousand times more important than the other. And Baltimore doesn't seem like the more important one. I would bet there are many there that are so used to ACC coverage anyway, they wouldn't just be able to turn that off.

My dream of walking 2 blocks to an ACC game aside (I don't actually want that and I really don't want to live here anymore anyway), having VT and UVA gives you more eyeballs in DC for football than Navy. Gives you more than Maryland too. DC is secure.

I'm not as sure about Baltimore, but as someone who lives equal distance between the 2 cities, one (and it's metro area suburbs) seems about a thousand times more important than the other. And Baltimore doesn't seem like the more important one. I would bet there are many there that are so used to ACC coverage anyway, they wouldn't just be able to turn that off.

Yeah adding GTown makes no sense. If you added Navy it would be to get ND in as full. So I could get that. If you want to go hybrid then Navy/Nova makes a lot more sense than Navy/GTown. That being said I want to avoid hybrids.

Yeah adding GTown makes no sense. If you added Navy it would be to get ND in as full. So I could get that. If you want to go hybrid then Navy/Nova makes a lot more sense than Navy/GTown. That being said I want to avoid hybrids.

Agree, no hybrids. I doubt ND wants Navy in their conference. They want them as non conference. Would help ensure the fact that they never, ever, ever have to travel to Annapolis for the road game in that series. Conference could make it appear they're on equal footing.

Get ND all in and grab Louisville. Stay at 16 and build the network. I would guess that between SU, Duke, and ND, there are probably thousands upon thousands of alumni in the greater NYC area that would pay for an ACC Network. RU isn't going to bring home the bacon as much as die hard Yankee fans will because they will want their YES Network however they can get it. I look forward to the time 5 years from now when UMD and RU are playing in the BiG Basement Bowl and UMD Lax is dead. No ACC will play UMD Lax after this. Like I said in another post, all should replace the MD game with Hopkins to retain the Baltimore/Wash footprint and put pressure on MD's recruiting.

Get ND all in and grab Louisville. Stay at 16 and build the network. I would guess that between SU, Duke, and ND, there are probably thousands upon thousands of alumni in the greater NYC area that would pay for an ACC Network. RU isn't going to bring home the bacon as much as die hard Yankee fans will because they will want their YES Network however they can get it. I look forward to the time 5 years from now when UMD and RU are playing in the BiG Basement Bowl and UMD Lax is dead. No ACC will play UMD Lax after this. Like I said in another post, all should replace the MD game with Hopkins to retain the Baltimore/Wash footprint and put pressure on MD's recruiting.
doubt the freezing out Maryland thing will happen - if you've learned anything about SU over the past decade, they aren't going to burn any bridges

ACC is working with both NBC-ESPN-Raycom...discussing this...sorry if not communicated from article...discussions already underway.
This won't happen, the ACC is tied to ESPN, Notre Dame Football is with NBC and I highly doubt NBC and ESPN will together on anything. An ACC Network can't happen because Swofford gave ESPN the 3rd tier rights for the games in the agreement. The ACC's horrible contract that got us into the conference is going to be the destruction of the conference. ESPN messed this all up when they took advantage of the ACC in the re-negotiations an extra 5 million per school 70 million would have been a lot better for ESPN than allowing the conference to become vulnerable like it did to the B1G. The B1G first tier rights in 2017 will go on the open market and with News Corp/FOX married to the BTN lookout for that payday and ESPN will at best split the rights with FOX at an OUTRAGEOUS number for the B1G. The ACC-ESPN K is what has killed this conference's future.

This won't happen, the ACC is tied to ESPN, Notre Dame Football is with NBC and I highly doubt NBC and ESPN will together on anything. An ACC Network can't happen because Swofford gave ESPN the 3rd tier rights for the games in the agreement. The ACC's horrible contract that got us into the conference is going to be the destruction of the conference. ESPN messed this all up when they took advantage of the ACC in the re-negotiations an extra 5 million per school 70 million would have been a lot better for ESPN than allowing the conference to become vulnerable like it did to the B1G. The B1G first tier rights in 2017 will go on the open market and with News Corp/FOX married to the BTN lookout for that payday and ESPN will at best split the rights with FOX at an OUTRAGEOUS number for the B1G. The ACC-ESPN K is what has killed this conference's future.
And Swofford has yet to fully explain his reasoning behind that deal. Why did he give up so much?
Baffling. :confused:

Please dont be so POSITIVE that it cannot happen...things are being discussed and ESPN is playing nice...hold on and lets see what transpires after this round of realignment is done...movement will take place soon.

Please dont be so POSITIVE that it cannot happen...things are being discussed and ESPN is playing nice...hold on and lets see what transpires after this round of realignment is done...movement will take place soon.
Arb, from your garbled crusty lips, to God's ears...I hope you're right. :(

I am being an objective realist from all this positive spin BS. The only thing the ACC can do is whatever will keep Florida State and N. Carolina happy. This ACC network isn't going to do that and ESPN needs to give the ACC financial support. Find something to give them in exchange for the money, because if the ACC doesn't get 70 million more per season from ESPN then more schools will bolt. Give ESPN a stake in the ACC Network like the LHN I don't care just get some more liquidity into the ACC coffers to keep Florida State and N. Carolina happy.

And Swofford has yet to fully explain his reasoning behind that deal. Why did he give up so much?

i think i saw something that would explain it a bit even though i cant find the article it said something like under the current setup raycom incurred all the startup costs but we still get 50% of the revenues

i think i saw something that would explain it a bit even though i cant find the article it said something like under the current setup raycom incurred all the startup costs but we still get 50% of the revenues

CORRECT...however, lets step back and look at a few important points:
1. Just as Murdoch/Fox has purchased a large part of YES network, it throws 15,0000,000 million households into a potential target for BTN--which he built and shares with the B1G
2. ESPN has access to 98,000,000 million homes...that's right...ouch
3. ACC is ESPN's preferred conference and there are ongoing discussions with ESPN, NBC, and Raycom for an ACC channel w/Notre Dame
4. ACC gave 50% to Raycom because Raycom has set up the digital portion of ACC but also is an outlet that could provide the ACC network...ESPN and NBC could join for lots of $$$.

And that is the fundamental basis for moving forward. If the ACC can hold together through this next phase of realignment...it will do very well as in boatload of $$$$$$$$--ESPN cannot afford from a $$$ perspective nor a share of collegiate sports marketing allow the ACC to disappear---think about it!

and even if thats going to take a few years have espn give us a bonus like they did for big 12 when it was unstable.espn needs the acc to survive which is why we are more stable than some think. is there any chance of getting notre dame to gradually become a member in football?

is there any chance of getting notre dame to gradually become a member in football?
Isn't that what's happening? Play 5 games per year against ACC teams, see how it goes, see how TV negotiations go, etc..

Each time ND is confronted with a TV re-negotiation is a convenient time for it to re-evaluate the overall situation and decide whether or not it wants to become a full ACC member. IMHO all it will take is for either the TV dollars to be less than ND's peer ACC schools receive, or for it to miss out on a BCS slot while an ACC team with a worse record plays in the Orange Bowl, or ND misses out on the BCS playoffs because it didn't play in a conference championship.

From the sounds of it, ND and the ACC are working on a hybrid NBC/ESPN TV deal. Indications are that the TV dollars are very similar already. One or two new examples or ND getting "screwed" by the bowl system (as seen through ND alumn/fan eyes) because they're not in a conference will like by the key.

It can all start this year when a 1-loss ND watches other 1-loss teams play for the BCS Championship.

to or from the acc?