ACC Bowl payouts, very interesting | Syracusefan.com

ACC Bowl payouts, very interesting

Notice that the biggest chunk is the $27.5 million for the Orange, whereas the other four don't have the $40 million for the Sugar and Rose.

Next year, when the Orange is part of the playoff, the numbers will show how far behind the ACC is.

Cheers,
Neil

So SU gets $3.3MM even though we didn't make it to a bowl?

Can someone explain why the Orange Bowl payout is 4x's larger than the second biggest payout?

Can someone explain why the Orange Bowl payout is 4x's larger than the second biggest payout?

It's a contract bowl. And it's the smallest of the three contract bowls with an overall value of $55 million while the Rose and Sugar are worth $80 million each in those years when not part of the playoff system.

Cheers,
Neil

That will even out of 12 years.
The Pac-12 and Big Ten will get 40 million extra from the Rose Bowl next year
The SEC and Big XII will get 40 million extra from the Sugar Bowl next year.

The ACC will lose 27.5 million from the Orange Bowl because it will a playoff bowl.

The ACC will need a 2nd team in the top 11 to get a 2nd payday next year.

That will even out of 12 years.
The Pac-12 and Big Ten will get 40 million extra from the Rose Bowl next year
The SEC and Big XII will get 40 million extra from the Sugar Bowl next year.

The ACC will lose 27.5 million from the Orange Bowl because it will a playoff bowl.

The ACC will need a 2nd team in the top 11 to get a 2nd payday next year.

Not sure why you think will "even" out?

Cheers,
Neil

Cheers,
Neil
Six New Year's Bowls, 12 year contract.

Each bowl will host the Semifinals 2 times each. Thus the Pac12/B1G will lose Rose Bowl money 2 times, the SEC/B12 will lose Sugar Bowl money 2 times, ACC/SEC/B1G will lose Orange Bowl money 2 times.

This will even out over the course of the 12 year contract. Ergo the payout this year makes no difference since next year those other 3 will be higher the Orange Bowl will be a semifinal. These payouts differences will balance out.

Notice that the biggest chunk is the $27.5 million for the Orange, whereas the other four don't have the $40 million for the Sugar and Rose.

Next year, when the Orange is part of the playoff, the numbers will show how far behind the ACC is.

Cheers,
Neil

We're going to be in the playoff next year?

Playoff rotation
These bowl games and venues will host College Football Playoff semifinal

Year Semifinal game Semifinal game
2014–15 Rose Bowl Sugar Bowl
2015–16 Orange Bowl Cotton Bowl
2016–17 Fiesta Bowl Peach Bowl
2017–18 Rose Bowl Sugar Bowl
2018–19 Orange Bowl Cotton Bowl
2019–20 Fiesta Bowl Peach Bowl
2020–21 Rose Bowl Sugar Bowl
2021–22 Orange Bowl Cotton Bowl
2022–23 Fiesta Bowl Peach Bowl
2023–24 Rose Bowl Sugar Bowl
2024–25 Orange Bowl Cotton Bowl
2025–26 Fiesta Bowl Peach Bowl

Every 1st year in the rotation the Pac-12/B1G, SEC/B12 lose
Every 2nd year the ACC/B1G/SEC lose
Every 3rd year nobody loses.

Cheers,
Neil

I don't think he means it will "even out", more that it will normalize.

This year the ACC and Big 12 will have about the same haul from the playoffs per team. Next year, when the Orange payout goes away and the Sugar payout comes in, the ACC will drop to $4m and the B12 go up to $9-10M. Of course, that assumes that the Big 12 doesn't expand, and that ND never plays in the Orange.

Depending on how playoff and the other access bowls play out, averaged out the Big 12 will pull in about $2-3M more per year. The PAC slightly less than that since it's splitting 12 ways. The B1G and SEC more because they've also got an Orange Bowl tie in some years. The ACC definitely has the lowest payout from the playoffs because the Orange deal is worse than the Rose and Sugar payouts, and that's not going to change.

I'll never really understand why the ACC had to split the Orange evenly with the B1G and SEC. Hard to imagine those conferences were going to turn down, say $15M to play in that, it's not like there was another alternative. Maybe there's something I just don't get in that. Maybe the ACC got a concession from the SEC and B1G on something else that we just don't know about and it was payback.

Otherwise, it is what it is, and we're somewhat lucky it wasn't much worse after the SEC and Big 12 connected in the Sugar Bowl. I think that the Orange has a chance to do some competitive TV ratings.

Six New Year's Bowls, 12 year contract.

Each bowl will host the Semifinals 2 times each. Thus the Pac12/B1G will lose Rose Bowl money 2 times, the SEC/B12 will lose Sugar Bowl money 2 times, ACC/SEC/B1G will lose Orange Bowl money 2 times.

This will even out over the course of the 12 year contract. Ergo the payout this year makes no difference since next year those other 3 will be higher the Orange Bowl will be a semifinal. These payouts differences will balance out.

While the rotation is correct in terms of that balancing out, I hope you realize that the overall $$$ cannot when the ACC is getting only $27.5 million in at minimum 6 of those 8 years the Orange isn't in the playoffs while the PAC and B12 are getting $40 million in all 8 years the Rose and Sugar are not in the playoffs, and the BiG and SEC are getting that $40 million each plus $27.5 million 3 of the 8 years the Orange isn't part of the playoff.

Cheers,
Neil

This seems relevant to share here. First 3 years of CFB Playoff payouts...

https://twitter.com/fargorocco/status/542228143172763648

https://twitter.com/fargorocco/status/542228143172763648/photo/1

B4Zhn3yCYAA_56g.png:large

While the rotation is correct in terms of that balancing out, I hope you realize that the overall $$$ cannot when the ACC is getting only $27.5 million in at minimum 6 of those 8 years the Orange isn't in the playoffs while the PAC and B12 are getting $40 million in all 8 years the Rose and Sugar are not in the playoffs, and the BiG and SEC are getting that $40 million each plus $27.5 million 3 of the 8 years the Orange isn't part of the playoff.

Cheers,
Neil
If you don't get my point that is fine. I really don't want to debate the math. The Pac-12/B12 lose their 40 million the years the Rose/Sugar are semifinals. The ACC loses 27.5 million the year the Orange Bowl is a semifinal. That is my point about balancing out. The SEC and B1G are going to get more than the ACC most years which is fine.

I don't think he means it will "even out", more that it will normalize.

This year the ACC and Big 12 will have about the same haul from the playoffs per team. Next year, when the Orange payout goes away and the Sugar payout comes in, the ACC will drop to $4m and the B12 go up to $9-10M. Of course, that assumes that the Big 12 doesn't expand, and that ND never plays in the Orange.

Depending on how playoff and the other access bowls play out, averaged out the Big 12 will pull in about $2-3M more per year. The PAC slightly less than that since it's splitting 12 ways. The B1G and SEC more because they've also got an Orange Bowl tie in some years. The ACC definitely has the lowest payout from the playoffs because the Orange deal is worse than the Rose and Sugar payouts, and that's not going to change.

I'll never really understand why the ACC had to split the Orange evenly with the B1G and SEC. Hard to imagine those conferences were going to turn down, say $15M to play in that, it's not like there was another alternative. Maybe there's something I just don't get in that. Maybe the ACC got a concession from the SEC and B1G on something else that we just don't know about and it was payback.

Otherwise, it is what it is, and we're somewhat lucky it wasn't much worse after the SEC and Big 12 connected in the Sugar Bowl. I think that the Orange has a chance to do some competitive TV ratings.

Well he did say these "payout differences will balance out". The monies will never balance out and as you point out both the Big 12 and the PAC, the nearest to the ACC are dividing the pot by lesser numbers at the moment, 10 and 12.

Cheers,
Neil

If you don't get my point that is fine. I really don't want to debate the math. The Pac-12/B12 lose their 40 million the years the Rose/Sugar are semifinals. The ACC loses 27.5 million the year the Orange Bowl is a semifinal. That is my point about balancing out. The SEC and B1G are going to get more than the ACC most years which is fine.

You said the payouts will balance out. I gave you the benefit of the doubt since it is impossible for that to happen. And I'm not concerned with the differences with the SEC and the BiG. The ACC isn't going to balance out with the PAC or the Big12 in terms of overall monies and that doesn't even account for splitting it 14 ways instead of 12 or 10.

It is what it is. But there is a difference of $25 million over every three year period between the PAC and the Big 12.

Cheers,
Neil

You said the payouts will balance out. I gave you the benefit of the doubt since it is impossible for that to happen. And I'm not concerned with the differences with the SEC and the BiG. The ACC isn't going to balance out with the PAC or the Big12 in terms of overall monies and that doesn't even account for splitting it 14 ways instead of 12 or 10.

It is what it is. But there is a difference of $25 million over every three year period between the PAC and the Big 12.

Cheers,
Neil
Dude, if you can't figure out I meant the conferences losing their money from their contract bowls will even out I am sorry. My goodness our Seminoles friend easily picked up what I was saying. Not sure why you think my point was any different.

Dude, if you can't figure out I meant the conferences losing their money from their contract bowls will even out I am sorry. My goodness our Seminoles friend easily picked up what I was saying. Not sure why you think my point was any different.

And DUDE, if you reread my post I specifically said if you meant that then yes, but you said the "payout will balance itself out" which implies to me the monies will balance out and so I stated what would actually be the case in terms of the payout and said I hope you realize this. Nothing more and nothing less.

And with your reply you never gave me the same courtesy I extended to you by at least saying, yes, I know the monies will never balance out. And you still haven't. But this is typical Alsacs debating tactic which tells me you did mean the actual $$$, because god forbid Alsacs admits he was mistaken about something or give anyone else room to have their own opinion.

Cheers,
Neil

omniorange said:
You said the payouts will balance out. I gave you the benefit of the doubt since it is impossible for that to happen. And I'm not concerned with the differences with the SEC and the BiG. The ACC isn't going to balance out with the PAC or the Big12 in terms of overall monies and that doesn't even account for splitting it 14 ways instead of 12 or 10. It is what it is. But there is a difference of $25 million over every three year period between the PAC and the Big 12. Cheers, Neil

You're depressing me Neil. Because you are right. That $55M vs $80M is a big deal. Especially for the leagues who will get some taste every year while we sit it out when the Orange is part of the playoffs.

Doesn't help when the committee can shut us out of the Citrus, and ND can swoop in and take a better bowl away.