ACC coach of the year | Syracusefan.com

ACC coach of the year

That's interesting. Who else has overachieved? He might be in the mix. Brownell maybe?

Last edited:
Have to believe Red is at the top of that list if they can finish 12-8.
Even 11-9 would get him in the discussion. A great recruiting
tool for sure.
Interesting thought, I havent thought about this at all. Truth is there’s no stand-outs to win it this year. Forbes, Brownell, Davis? Forbes won recently but neither Brownell nor Davis have. Everyone’s mediocre except the two blues who have more talent. If Red can win the next two games and win a few in the ACC tournament and get a NCAA tournament bid, I guess it’s possible since there aren’t any standouts I can think of.

All of these things - 20+ wins, acc tourney run, make ncaas, contender for COY - would make recruiting a lot easier for our new first year HC.

Why would the coach of a middle of the pack ACC team be considered a coach of the year candidate?

Why would the coach of a middle of the pack ACC team be considered a coach of the year candidate?
Because based on preseason rankings, we're one of only team that overachieved in conference. You could argue Clemson or Wake too

2023 ACC Preseason Poll
School, Points

1. Duke (44), 757
2. Miami (5), 693
3. North Carolina (1), 670
4. Virginia (1), 593
5. Clemson, 570
6. Wake Forest, 440
7. NC State, 420
8. Virginia Tech, 390
9. Pitt, 380
10. Syracuse, 321
11. Florida State, 294
12. Boston College, 227
13. Georgia Tech, 157
14. Louisville, 108
15. Notre Dame, 100

I think some places projected 11 wins. I would like to know first year P5 coaches whose teams have better records than reds team, honest question I truly don’t know. I have to imagine not many or none at all?

It usually goes to someone whose team has out performed expectations. You can't give it to Duke or UNC coaches. Or Bennett. There is no real standout.

I think some places projected 11 wins. I would like to know first year P5 coaches whose teams have better records than reds team, honest question I truly don’t know. I have to imagine not many or none at all?
Did quick research. Only 3 teams with first year P5/6 head coaches for that school are with us. All played one less game, and it’s providence at 18 wins, texas at 18 wins and Tex tech at 19. Reds done very well. I think ACC COY is not unthinkable.

Last edited:
It usually goes to someone whose team has out performed expectations. You can't give it to Duke or UNC coaches. Or Bennett. There is no real standout.
Hubert Davis redemption makes too much sense for ACC COY, by far the best team in the ACC.

Maybe but weren't they picked to finish first? And doesn't he have like 3 guys over 35 on his team?
They were picked 3rd in ACC preseason poll.

I’d give it to Tony Bennett. Nobody has done more with less.

I’d give it to Tony Bennett. Nobody has done more with less.
Tend to agree here. The 3 or 4 times I’ve watched this team….they stink. I’m flabbergasted at how they have achieved the record they have. Bennett is a great coach.

His style of play makes them look less talented than they are.
But they have been absolutely TORCHED a few times this year as bad as we have. I don't recall that happening in the past with his teams. They are definitely devoid of past offensive talent.

He should minimally be in the top three if we win the last two regular season games. I think he's absolutely an acceptable COY in the conference if we win those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom