ACC Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2020 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2020

I was always a little concerned with this issue as it made the offense appear to me to be a bit gimmicky. An offense that might give you a win against a team unprepared for it, but less successful against a team played on a yearly basis.

This kind of analysis always make me shake my head. It makes it seem as if Syracuse and Dino are ignoring highly rated recruits and merely going after the lower tier players. Unless, of course, by "approach" they mean the SEC (and probably some of our conference mates) method of recruiting ($$$$$).

I will say that Dino needs to look at what New York, or at least CNY and Western New York, have to offer in terms of player attributes. These are the kids that SU has the best chance of landing. If they are not the type of athletes needed to be successful in Dino's offense, it may be time to rethink those schemes. I believe any non-helmet school that relies heavily on bringing in kids from other areas of the country will have a difficult time sustaining success.

So - we should focus on recruiting smaller, slower, less athletic kids, who happen to live in CNY?
That will certainly help improve our recruiting, and our on-field results. :rolleyes:

This trope that Dino & staff are "ignoring higher rated recruits" is patently FALSE.
We offer a metric crapton of kids every year, MANY of whom are 4* guys.

The ISSUE is - almost NONE of these kids want to play at Syracuse, because we suck, and except for one season in their entire lifetimes, have always sucked. :(

It is EASY to sell the hoops program - packed Dome, winning seasons year after year, guys going on to Pro careers.
The football program has had NONE of that, for ages now.

Dino is trying to turn that around. It takes time.
Especially at Syracuse, which has zero inherent recruiting advantages.

Ask Coach Q about that - he's finally got the womens hoops team playing - and recruiting - at the highest levels. But it took many years to get to this point.

So - we should focus on recruiting smaller, slower, less athletic kids, who happen to live in CNY?
That will certainly help improve our recruiting, and our on-field results. :rolleyes:

This trope that Dino & staff are "ignoring higher rated recruits" is patently FALSE.

The ISSUE is - almost NONE of these kids want to play at Syracuse, because we suck, and except for one season in their entire lifetimes, have always sucked. :(

It is EASY to sell the hoops program - packed Dome, winning seasons year after year, guys going on to Pro careers.

Ask Coach Q about that - he's finally got the womens hoops team playing - and recruiting - at the highest levels. But it took many years to get to this point.
I don't think Coach Q is a great example to make your point. He's a fantastic recruiter and has been practically from day 1.

We continue to offer higher rated kids but they continue to go to the same schools. I do not think you can compare us to unc in recruiting. Over 90 percent of their recruits are from nc. We do not have that much talent in ny. Same with saying FSU. It’s Florida. Louisville does well in recruiting but other than one season have been relevant. I have faith in the current staff. If we can recruit 85 and above with a few four stars watch out. I also feel the staff is better than most at finding overlooked talent.
Concerning devito. He did have a lot of issues last year that he could not control. However there were some he could. Did not need to drop back an additional ten yards constantly from the shotgun. I remember Dino complaining about this. He also threw the ball out of bounds sooner then needed instead of continuing to look down field. I’m hoping being healthy and Gilbert will solve these issues.
Concerning the line. I truly hope when we do have a season they are improved. I know there were injuries but at this point you would think there would be some depth. If not may need a position coach change.

First, I never said SU ignored higher rated players. I was commenting on the "analysis" by another coach, probably an assistant at Clemson or FSU, who does not understand why recruits aren't falling in SU's lap like they are for those schools. The insinuation being that if SU simply changed its approach, they would also be flush with four and five star players.

That being said, We should look at the best system for the players we can bring to SU year in and year out. If that means we need to play "meathead" football because that lends to the strength of the players we are able to consistently recruit, fine. If that means taking a 2 star from Rochester instead of a 2 star from Tampa, I say do it so that SU makes inroads with the local programs so when there is a diamond in the rough, he wants to play for SU instead of Pitt or BC.

Trying to implement an offense that needs a higher caliber, more athletic player than Syracuse is currently able to consistently recruit, however, is a recipe for disaster. When Dino has players for his system, it is fun to watch and successful. When he does not, the three and outs that only take 45 seconds off the clock are painful to watch and, I assume, for the defense exhausting.

Trying to implement an offense that needs a higher caliber, more athletic player than Syracuse is currently able to consistently recruit, however, is a recipe for disaster. When Dino has players for his system, it is fun to watch and successful. When he does not, the three and outs that only take 45 seconds off the clock are painful to watch and, I assume, for the defense exhausting.
What? I'm sorry but this is completely false. Our offense is built around the concept that lower talented guys can execute it. And they did in 2018. They also did at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green. Last year we lost our best OL for almost the entire year and our QB played with an injury that would sideline most NFL players. This is nothing more than a scripted rant. This offense isn't about beating the guy in front of you, it's about catching the defense out of position or on its heels and exploiting whatever the defense gives up. The defensive scheme was broken and I've been saying it since day 1 but that has been resolved, or at least I hope.

Think West will also help. Dino has to look at each coaching opening as an opportunity to improve recruiting. He hasn't always done that. Think he finally realized it last offseason.
Totally agree.