ACC Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2020 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2020

Find me a year when North Carolina, Miami, FSU and LVille didn't recruit well? They always do. But we don't have to worry about UNC/Miami. NCState, Wake, BC and LVille is our peer group. Clemson and FSU are a cut above but right now we have to be able to beat FSU when they're down...we basically have 5 toss up games in our division every year plus Pitt.

Last edited:
In my opinion, and I HATE mentioning this but things look a little better today had we beat MTSU at home in 2017. I know that only makes 5 wins but that loss was just absolutely horrible.

His worse loss by far to date and I excuse it because that was the team's culture back then. My #2 would be Maryland and I'll never excuse that, the team was woefully unprepared. But it happens. Happens to everyone except for maybe Clemson.

His worse loss by far to date and I excuse it because that was the team's culture back then. My #2 would be Maryland and I'll never excuse that, the team was woefully unprepared. But it happens. Happens to everyone except for maybe Clemson.

That is like missing a chip shot into a big sand bunker. And a muffed catch against LSU. Too bad.

I think our win vs Clemson two years ago was their "Maryland"

This is a sobering assessment by opposing coaches. If we make it to 5 wins in 2020, the assessments will seem overblown ...which they probably are anyway.

I remember last year how the experts were saying Louisville was the last place team in the ACC because of their talent and a new coach (and they said this because of the results of the previous season). What a HUGE LOL.

Cuse won 5 games last year with a messed up offensive line for most of the season ...and a defense that didn't show up for 2 games.

Talent wise, Jawhar Jordan, Luke Benson, Aaron Servais, Matt Bergeron, Andre Cisco, Trill Williams, Bear Williams, and Meli say "Hi." Is that enough talent to win a lot of games? Probably not, but it's a good building block and I'm sure we will have more that will surprise this year (or next year)

Find me a year when North Carolina, Miami, FSU and LVille didn't recruit well? They always do. But we don't have to worry about UNC/Miami. NCState, Wake, BC and LVille is our peer group. Clemson and FSU are a cut above but right now we have to be able to beat FSU when they're down...we have 5 toss up games in our division plus Pitt.
Clemson, FSU and Miami - absolutely, but UNC and Louisville seem to be seriously heading in the right direction.

Also, it’s disheartening to see Pitt, BC and Rutgers recruiting so much better than us this cycle (so far). We held our own compared to those 3 last year in the rankings, but again, that’s only because they all had weak classes.

Last edited:
The harsh reality is that on average we have two baked in losses to FSU and Clemson. If we split the games against our "peers" in the division and split our crossover games we are 3-5 in conference on average. If we average 3 wins in non-conference we are 6-6.

If we are up against the wall with recruiting and player talent then non-conference scheduling is hugely important and is controllable. It must give us the best chance of 4 wins if we want to consistently finish above .500. I used to want a marquee match-up in non-conference but that ship has sailed. Wins are more important now to get things moving in the right direction.

In the current state of the program, in a non- COVID year, 7 wins is a success and 5 wins is a failure.

Not for nothing, and this is just looking at how things were, our coordinators were piss poor last year and now we’ll see just how much of that falls on Dino.

#99. Disagree.

Seems harsh, and seems low...but honestly, not that low. I really couldnt justify moving him more than 10, maybe 20 slots, based on last year.

The first 3/4ths of last season were not great by Devito. He will be better this year, without a doubt. But he will need to be more decisive with the football

When I read the "Anonymous Coaches Comments" yesterday I was really not surprised that Syracuse University Football was not viewed as trending in the right direction by other ACC coaches. Much of what was said had a lot of truth
Seems harsh, and seems low...but honestly, not that low. I really couldnt justify moving him more than 10, maybe 20 slots, based on last year.
Many of the quarterbacks he lists in front of Tommy DeVito have very limited or no college experience. He has ranked them based on their high school recruiting ratings. Also you can call me crazy but after I saw Jamie Newman ranked third I kind of stopped taking the article seriously. Go TD, Go Orange!!!

Clemson, FSU and Miami - absolutely, but UNC and Louisville seem to be seriously heading in the right direction.

Also, it’s disheartening to see Pitt, BC and Rutgers recruiting so much better than us this cycle (so far). We held our own compared to those 3 last year in the rankings, but again, that’s only because they all had weak classes.

nah I've looked at UNC for the past 10 years and they recruit in the top 35 every year. 3 top 25 finishes and 2 top 20 finishes during that time. They'll finish around #20 this year. (by the way, the State of North Carolina has 14 four star prospects this year. In other words the state has a lot of talent.)

LVille usually recruits top 40 with 3 classes in the top 30 over 10 years. They're in a unique geographical spot and their ranking this year is with a new coach (first full recruiting season) who's well connected in the South. Lets see where they go from here.

I'm not disheartened at all with those other 3. A) BC is 10 spots ahead of us with a bunch of prospects who on paper are no better than ours. I mean lets be honest, Josh Hough is our lowest rated recruit. B) Pitt has always recruited better than us. Past 10 years half of their classes have been btw 25-40 and half btw 40-50. They had 2 outliers at 58 and 65 I think. Pitts class this year is bolstered by 2 - four star kids FROM Pittsburgh. C) half of Rutgirls kids are over-rated and the other half jumped on the shiny new toy. They lucked out not having to go 2-10 this year.

Last edited:
I wonder what Dino says anonymously about the other schools. We saw what Shafer said publicly to Dabo!

The harsh reality is that on average we have two baked in losses to FSU and Clemson. If we split the games against our "peers" in the division and split our crossover games we are 3-5 in conference on average. If we average 3 wins in non-conference we are 6-6.

If we are up against the wall with recruiting and player talent then non-conference scheduling is hugely important and is controllable. It must give us the best chance of 4 wins if we want to consistently finish above .500. I used to want a marquee match-up in non-conference but that ship has sailed. Wins are more important now to get things moving in the right direction.

In the current state of the program, in a non- COVID year, 7 wins is a success and 5 wins is a failure.

This is true but it's not insurmountable. There are years we should be good enough to beat everyone else and it will come down to Clemson/FSU. This is a tough division, I'd rather be in the other.

..but that said it's also a P5 league. We could be in the Big10 East or the SEC East/West...let's just go play the games

I think it clear SU isn't keeping any of the opposing coaches up at night. Have to admit I was hoping we would be farther ahead at this point of the rebuild.

I have never put much value in coaches anonymous comments. Little value. I know coaches and their personality type. Insecure, shady motivations, often settling scores, etc...trust your own opinions from what you see. But one has to be objective

So these comments? Much ado about nothing. Ignore them

This is a sobering assessment by opposing coaches. If we make it to 5 wins in 2020, the assessments will seem overblown ...which they probably are anyway.

I remember last year how the experts were saying Louisville was the last place team in the ACC because of their talent and a new coach (and they said this because of the results of the previous season). What a HUGE LOL.

Cuse won 5 games last year with a messed up offensive line for most of the season ...and a defense that didn't show up for 2 games.

Talent wise, Jawhar Jordan, Luke Benson, Aaron Servais, Matt Bergeron, Andre Cisco, Trill Williams, Bear Williams, and Meli say "Hi." Is that enough talent to win a lot of games? Probably not, but it's a good building block and I'm sure we will have more that will surprise this year (or next year)
5-5 should be the goal. In an all ACC schedule that is pretty good. It would show progress. I laugh at some predictions I see around the ACC. Clemson is 10-0. Everyone else is predicting their program to be 7-3 or 8-2. I will assume these folks were not math majors. You are going to see a lot of teams between 3-7 and 6-4. This is a rough conference. Talent wise...9 of last 10 years, second only to SEC in draftable talent. Yes, FSU and Miami's days of Top 5 have passed. That has a lot to do with the national perception of ACC relative strength. That is a mistake. Very talented, very tough league. Not the SEC...nobody is, but I'll stack it up against the others any day.

We should’ve beaten them the next year too though.
We should’ve got them 2x in a row. I was at the Clemson game down here. All they had to do was stop that 4th and 6.

Side note: Once Clemson got the lead, and we got pinned deep, Clemson’s DL came out and started swaying back and forth while we were in the huddle.. One of the loudest outdoors stadium moments in my life.

Jamie Newman #3?!? It's amazing what playing at a factory school can do for you (or your perception). He seems extremely overrated to me.
Newman is good, but he is caught in a very big fishbowl at Georgia. Very good runner, but he is not a particularly great passer. Not bad, he is accurate, but arm strength and ability to throw certain type balls is limited. He is competing now against guys with NFL arms. He never could have expected the USC QB to appear.