ACC coaching jobs, ranked by... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC coaching jobs, ranked by...

Coaches’ vote

Some offseason fluff but enjoyable. Saw some NC State fans on Twitter triggered that they were behind Syracuse and Louisville. Overall I thought it was pretty fair.
Absurd that NC State fans think they wouldn’t be behind both us and Louisville. They haven’t done much of anything in 20 or 30 years. NOT only do we have a national title, a title game appearance, and two other Final Fours in the past 25 years, we have probably the fourth most Sweet 16s and tourney appearances. Moreover, NC State will always be a little brother to Duke and UNC.

Last edited:
Our "recruiting base" is the DC to Boston corridor. Best recruiting area in the country. Don't know what these guys are talking about. National programs don't get their talent from a 50 mile radius of their campus. Dumb metric in my book.
Yeah, Cuse ranking 8 in recruiting base is the height of absurdity. Cuse is within 4-5 hours of NYC/New Jersey, Boston, Philadelphia, DC and Toronto (with Canadian kids getting better and better). Goodman mentions Virginia being 4 hours from DC, Charlotte and Philadelphia and rank them higher than us. That’s just stupid. It also feels like there’s an overrating of the North Carolina recruiting area overall, like it’s the best of the best. Really? I think the Northeast is better. Not to mention that many of the top kids play in the NEPSAC, which should put us and BC higher, imo). We should be at least #4 in recruiting base.

Also, I hate Pitt, but they’re absurdly underrated. They should be middle of the package least, way ahead of Va Tech, Wake, Clemson, Ga Tech, etc. Pitt was way better/more relevant than those programs over the past 15-20 years. They made a terrible mistake in letting Dixon leave.

I'll play devil's advocate here in making a case for duke and taking a shot at the cuse. Never been to cameron so i'll defer to those who have but an arena that is tight as s--t and has passionate students lining the sidelines is by default a tough place to play and a poll of coaches would respect that.

The dome, by contrast, is big and open. It can be pretty quiet for games that aren't huge games and, for whatever it's worth, it's a pretty drab, outdated facility for fans (not sure this is taken into account in these ratings). I just remember sitting next to wilbon at a press event and we were talking hoops. I relayed that I was a syracuse fan and he basically said he thought the dome was a total s-hole. terrible for journalists and not that great for fans.

I went to Nova/Cuse a few years ago when both were really good and it was insane trying to use a bathroom or hit the concessions. I'm not terribly surprised to see it get dinged here. It desperately needs a massive facelift.
Agreed. Big game atmosphere, though, should put us at least where we are. The Melo Center is where the kids spend all their time and it’s one of the best bball facilities in the conference. Fortunately the Dome will be getting a two-phase upgrade over the next decade.

Suprised a bit that Wake’s rankings are so low for facilities. Maybe their practice facilities and locker rooms are weak? I thought it was at least a solid, middle of the conference type of arena when I went. Granted that was Tim Duncan era, so perhaps it’s gotten a bit run down since?
If it wasn’t for Duncan and Chris Paul going there, Wake would be at the bottom of this list.

Yeah Cameron is its own tier I guess a la Wrigley. I’ve never been there. People always say the UNC experience is pretty cool for sure. Never been there. I’d still put Pitt over NC St if we’re talking facilities. The PEC is impressive anyway you slice it outside and inside. Seems much younger than it actually is. But 7 for us is a joke. Unless the actual locker rooms are being weighed so heavily as DB Cooper suggests, lol. If that’s the case then let’s get this list to Wildhack to expedite that phase of the Dome renovation post haste, ha.
Facilities are more than just the arena. Practice facilities and overall athletic department facilities matter just as much.

Facilities are more than just the arena. Practice facilities and overall athletic department facilities matter just as much.

Of course. Precisely why I mentioned Melo Center earlier above and how the Syracuse ranking is bunk. That was a separate arena discussion you responded to.

Goodman also forgot to include our 1975 Final Four, bringing the total to 6, more than any other Northeast or Mid-Atlantic school, including Nova and Gtown.

Last edited:
Goodman also forgot to include our 1976 Final Four, bringing the total to 6, more than any other Northeast or Mid-Atlantic school, including Nova and Gtown.

These days he's more of an NBA guy.

Of course. Precisely why I mentioned Melo Center earlier above and how the Syracuse ranking is bunk. That was a separate arena discussion you responded to.

Duke has a very comparable practice facility as we do, plus there's has a tunnel linking it to Cameron.

Also, I hate Pitt, but they’re absurdly underrated.

Pump the brakes, kid. Mods, please consider this post a formal reprimand and update Sherman20's record accordingly, please.

It’s stuff like that that makes these little lists ridiculously stupid.

He made it clear it was not just about the arena.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom