ACC conference is wide open | Syracusefan.com

ACC conference is wide open

M

Manleymen

I do not see a clear cut top 5 team ACC regular season. My guess is Virginia wins it. Many question marks with as many as ten teams vying for the top five positions with a wild ACC tournament. Where am I wrong?

I do not see a clear cut top 5 team ACC regular season. My guess is Virginia wins it. Many question marks with as many as ten teams vying for the top five positions with a wild ACC tournament. Where am I wrong?

It's completely wide open.. as unfortunately the 6th ranked conference in college hoops barely above the PAC 12.

Right now I think ACC will only get five teams to NCAA tournament: Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, Miami and UNC. I hope we can steal one. Lucky for us, UNC and Duke play in the dome this year. And we have a chance to split with Virginia and Virginia Tech. We need to get four wins out of the seven games. And don't get upset by other less worthy ACC teams or at least keep bad upsets to the minimum like two this season.

yeah, I am watching ACC PM on ACC Network right now, all three of them rank us 6th in the conference. Yes we have been playing better, but we are 8-4 with home losses to Colgate and Bryant. 6th shows how crappy the conference is right now

yeah, I am watching ACC PM on ACC Network right now, all three of them rank us 6th in the conference. Yes we have been playing better, but we are 8-4 with home losses to Colgate and Bryant. 6th shows how crappy the conference is right now
I get those losses happened but play either of those games and It would be a 10-15 ot win.

too much basketball to be played to say anything is determined. The brackets aren’t coming out for almost three months.

I get those losses happened but play either of those games and It would be a 10-15 ot win.

too much basketball to be played to say anything is determined. The brackets aren’t coming out for almost three months.
oh sure, there is a ton of time, but the ranking is based on how they have played to this point, and overall we have not played well enough to be 6th out of 15 teams in most ACC seasons, even this early. I am more optimistic about the team than I thought I would be, however.

I think many teams right now aren’t the same team they were towards the start of the season, less the middle and season’s end.

Preseason ranking Current Standings
1. North Carolina - Miami
2. Duke - Va Tech
3. Virginia - Virginia
4. Miami - Duke
5. Florida State - Clemson
6. Notre Dame - Pitt
7. Virginia Tech - Syracuse
8. Syracuse - North Carolina
9. Wake Forest - Florida St
10. NC State - Wake Forest
11. Clemson - Georgia Tech
12. Louisville - Notre Dame
13. Boston College - Boston College
14. Pitt - NC ST
15. Georgia Tech - Louisville

Bet there will be plenty of movement in these rankings through the season especially since the ACC games have only just started. The current standings are based on overall results to date. North Carolina, NC State and Notre Dame really have plummeted through their OOC schedule while Clemson and Pitt have fared well. Comparisons with other conferences will probably depend on how competitive they are within their own conference teams.

The ACC has basically played like they did last year OOC, and rank similarly to last year. Like last year they are far back of the elite conferences ... except this year there are only 3 elites (B12, B10, SEC) and the Big East has fell out of the group.

105-50 OOC vs 106-53 OOC last year. 7th in Conference NET this year which is not good.

This will cause the same difficulty as last year for borderline tourney teams- will limit Q1 win opportunities within conference because of the multiplier effect. BIG, SEC, and B12 will just boost each others NET's, making it easier to get quality wins in conference and also very hard to get a bad loss in conference. Caused a problem for a 13-7 Wake team last year who didn't even have

The one difference this year is the ACC appears to be more top and bottom heavy then last year. So there will be more opportunity for not just Q1 wins, but "elite" Q1 wins. Syracuse will need some of those elite wins, because a good conference record will not be enough especially due to bad losses in OOC and no wins.

But in the end, all Syracuse can do is keep winning and see how it plays itself out.

As mentioned above the ACC appears to have a more top 25 type teams this year. But they also have more bad teams than normal.

Right now there are 6 teams with NET's below 100, 3 of which are below 200! Louisville is at 345. Hurts ability to win Q1 or Q2 games, and also draws down the NET's of everybody.

As a comparison:
Big 12 has NIL
B10 has 1 (1 below 200)
SEC has 3 (1 below 200)
BE has 3 (1 below 200)
P12 has 2 (2 below 200)
ACC has 6 (3 below 200)

Louisville has a KP Rating of 245, Cal is at 256. These might be amongst the worst P6 teams of the last 10 years.

Last edited:
As mentioned above the ACC appears to have a more top 25 type teams this year. But they also have more bad teams than normal.

Right now there are 6 teams with NET's below 100, 3 of which are below 200! Louisville is at 345. Hurts ability to win Q1 or Q2 games, and also draws down the NET's of everybody.

As a comparison:
Big 12 has NIL
B10 has 1 (1 below 200)
SEC has 3 (1 below 200)
BE has 3 (1 below 200)
P12 has 2 (2 below 200)
ACC has 6 (3 below 200)

Louisville has a KP Rating of 245, Cal is at 256. These might be amongst the worst P6 teams of the last 10 years.

Honestly I think that we have to get to 14-4 to enter the bubble discussion or at least 13-5. We need to take one of UVA or VT and win our next 3 which would put us at 5-1 in conference and then game 2 vs ND who we really do match up well against this year. 6-1 then heading into Miami where they are awful on D. We can dream at least. Tonight is massive though.

That at least guarantees a Q1 by the halfway point (roughly) win given ND may fail us there contrary to what I was fairly certain would play out.

That St Johns OT loss and the Bryant loss are deep wounds for a missed opportunity and pathetic loss.

Colgate really sucks too but could have been a forgotten loss had we not screwed the pooch after.

Last edited:
Would be a great year to get JB an ACC Tournament Championship and automatic bid. We'll be firing on all cylinders by that time, and, as said in this thread, the conference is wide open. Crazier things have happened.

As a comparison:
Big 12 has NIL
B10 has 1 (1 below 200)
SEC has 3 (1 below 200)
BE has 3 (1 below 200)
P12 has 2 (2 below 200)
ACC has 6 (3 below 200)

So, you’re saying that Cal can’t get right back into this thing? ;)

As a comparison:
Big 12 has NIL
B10 has 1 (1 below 200)
SEC has 3 (1 below 200)
BE has 3 (1 below 200)
P12 has 2 (2 below 200)
ACC has 6 (3 below 200)

Growing up in Lyons watching JB and his high school teammates I can tell you this - his high school coach Dick Blackwell influenced JB like no other person. The two three zone was a huge part of these teams. A famous photo of Lyons high school set up in the 2-3 Zone existed in Lyons - though time has elapsed and it is mostly forgotten. I myself cannot find it. I am telling you that THAT zone as implemented this season - in a season of chaos in the ACC will serve SU very well against a topsy turvy year in ACC bball. Collectively SU will finish in the top 3 in ACC this year. ACC teams at your peril play man to man - it is out of date this year. Like me - most have have underestimated JB this year. I am a believer. Despite it’s glaring faults SU will finish in the top 3 - ACC this year.

Growing up in Lyons watching JB and his high school teammates I can tell you this - his high school coach Dick Blackwell influenced JB like no other person. The two three zone was a huge part of these teams. A famous photo of Lyons high school set up in the 2-3 Zone existed in Lyons - though time has elapsed and it is mostly forgotten. I myself cannot find it. I am telling you that THAT zone as implemented this season - in a season of chaos in the ACC will serve SU very well against a topsy turvy year in ACC bball. Collectively SU will finish in the top 3 in ACC this year. ACC teams at your peril play man to man - it is out of date this year. Like me - most have have underestimated JB this year. I am a believer. Despite it’s glaring faults SU will finish in the top 3 - ACC this year.
13553409-large.jpg

Great photo that we have all seen against East Rochester but that is not the one I am referring to. It was a photo taken directly under the opponents basket facing straight on when Lyons was on defense plaing the two three. Thanks for sharing. As I said the photo well known in Lyons is a rare one.

yes. if by "wide open" you mean crappy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom