ACC considering permanent late-season rivals for all teams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC considering permanent late-season rivals for all teams

The ACC needs to man up and capitalize on its potential matchups. IMO, it hurts the conference not having UNC-NCSt the last week of the season. Sure, they could potentially meet up in the title game the following week, but the chances are extremely low. Are we seriously not going to pair the two up ANNUALLY on the remote chance that they BOTH win their division to play in the championship game?

I'd like to see Cuse and BC paired up annually at the end of the year, as I think it would greatly benefit both schools but especially BC. Thinking long term and bucking current situations, Miami could potentially get matched up with ND at the end of ever season. I see Miami as having a more national identity similar to ND - maybe it's just because of their history, maybe it's because they're all the way down in south florida, but that's the way I see it - so I see it as a natural matchup.

Here would be my optimized end of season rivalry matchups.

ACC - SECClemson - South Carolina
Florida State - Florida
Georgia Tech - Georgia
Louisville - Kentucky
ACC - B1G
Pitt - PSU
ACC - ACC
North Carolina - NC State
Virginia - Virginia Tech
Boston College - Syracuse
Duke - Wake
Miami - ND
Good to see you on here, I think Miami could rotate between Notre Dame and South Florida who they are currently playing each year late. Notre Dame would depend on if they are playing Stanford/USC at the end, but I think they would consider rotating ending between California and Florida each year and ratcheting up the old Catholics versus Convicts rivalry.

Good to see you on here, I think Miami could rotate between Notre Dame and South Florida who they are currently playing each year late. Notre Dame would depend on if they are playing Stanford/USC at the end, but I think they would consider rotating ending between California and Florida each year and ratcheting up the old Catholics versus Convicts rivalry.

Thanks. Yeah, I admitted it would certainly buck current situations, probably unrealistically, to get a ND-Miami matchup at the end of the season. I could be way off here, but it just seems like the USF matchup was made for convenience, not preference.

bclogo3nrqw3.gif

Is anyone excited by a Syracuse- BC rivalry matchup? I'm not. In 50 years of playing them I can't remember one game.

Personally, I root for Louisville to become our big time rival in both basketball and football in the ACC. I understand Louisville see's Kentucky as there biggest rival, but there is talk that the two will not continue their football series. Who knows how that will effect their relationship. I believe the ACC could forge a very good rivalry if they paired us up with Louisville in football and basketball (twice a year). Am I the only one that thinks this rivalry is budding? The ACC could make one night of rivalry week a spectacle by scheduling Syracuse-Lousiville at 7, Duke UNC at 9 and then they both also play the last game of the year to end the season similar to Duke and UNC. Both the football and basketball seasons could end with a game against Louisville. I think this would go the longest way toward forming a strong rivalry. With that said, I am semi intrigued by BC in football, but I am not looking forward to playing them twice a year in basketball, they are flat out awful.

It appears it is going to look like this for rivalry week

ACC
North Carolina-Duke
Louisville-NC State
Syracuse-Boston College
Virginia-Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh-Miami

SEC
Alabama-Auburn
Arkansas-Missouri
Texas A&M-LSU
Tennessee-Kentucky
Mississippi State-Ole Miss

ACC-SEC matchups
Georgia Tech-Georgia
Florida State-Florida
Wake Forest-Vanderbilt
Clemson-South Carolina

The SEC is going to change permanent cross-overs from Missouri-Texas A&M and South Carolina-Arkansas to Missouri-Arkansas(new border war) Texas A&M-South Carolina. Southern Missouri is a lot like Arkansas and honestly the whole state of Missouri fits the SEC profile outside of Kansas City and St. Louis.

Is anyone excited by a Syracuse- BC rivalry matchup? I'm not. In 50 years of playing them I can't remember one game.

I too am unmoved by the prospect of a BC "rivalry" game.

I do remember the Diamond Ferri one man show in their final Big East season, but I agree that for the most part it's been an unmemorable run.

I go back 25-27 years or so as a fan, and can count very few BC games that have made a lasting impression.

And if I'm being honest, over the past decade, I've honestly felt more amped about Rutgers and UConn games than I ever did about BC in their Big East heyday.

They're just kind of blah.. you know?

Plus, I absolutely HATE the BC uniforms. Drab color scheme with the ugliest font on Earth. IMO, some of the worst uniforms in all of college sports.

I too am unmoved by the prospect of a BC "rivalry" game.

I do remember the Diamond Ferri one man show in their final Big East season, but I agree that for the most part it's been an unmemorable run.

I go back 25-27 years or so as a fan, and can count very few BC games that have made a lasting impression.

And if I'm being honest, over the past decade, I've honestly felt more amped about Rutgers and UConn games than I ever did about BC in their Big East heyday.

They're just kind of blah.. you know?

Plus, I absolutely HATE the BC uniforms. Drab color scheme with the ugliest font on Earth. IMO, some of the worst uniforms in all of college sports.
I was in school at BC during the Matt Ryan years and the students/fans still never cared about football like SU fans/students did during my time at SU. With that said it can be a respectful(outside of NASA's funny pictures) Northeast private school rivalry. I don't consider Rutgers or UConn football rivals either. I am more disgusted rather than amped to see our team play them. A rivalry game is something that matters more than a regular game. Syracuse doesn't have a football opponent that feels the same about Syracuse that Syracuse feels about them. Rutgers Internet fans made me dislike them, but I could care less about their football team. UConn fans I didn't dislike them until they got butthurt very recently. BC isn't a rival either because both programs were never up at the same time, but I remember Konrad and McNabb going up there in a fall October game in 1998? that was on CBS and the game was fun to watch. I don't think SU will ever have a huge football rivalry with anyone that both sides will deem as must win, but Boston College is the most likely of any team.

I was in school at BC during the Matt Ryan years and the students/fans still never cared about football like SU fans/students did during my time at SU. With that said it can be a respectful(outside of NASA's funny pictures) Northeast private school rivalry. I don't consider Rutgers or UConn football either. I am more disgusted rather than amped to see our team play them. A rivalry game is something that matters more than a regular game. Syracuse doesn't have a football opponent that feels the same about Syracuse that Syracuse feels about them. Rutgers Internet fans made me dislike them, but I could care less about their football team. UConn fans I didn't dislike them until they got butthurt very recently. BC isn't a rival either because both programs were never up at the same time, but I remember Konrad and McNabb going up there in a fall October game in 1998? that was on CBS and the game was fun to watch. I don't think SU will ever have a huge football rivalry with anyone that both sides will deem as must win, but Boston College is the most likely of any team.
The ACC will pair SU with BC because they are two programs that nobody else in league cares much to play and because of geographic proximity. But I think the ACC is missing a great opportunity to help create what has already started to develop into a powerful rivalry between SU and Louisville. It already has taken root in basketball where the two perennial top 10 powers have come into competition to win the Big East regular season and have met twice in 4 years for the BET championship. That budding rivalry in hoops could be transferred to football to create a total rivalry.

I only remember the Diamond Ferri game

The Diamond Ferri game...the '87 comeback...the Scott Schwedes game...the Meltdown in Beantown game (Nunes).

I was in school at BC during the Matt Ryan years and the students/fans still never cared about football like SU fans/students did during my time at SU. With that said it can be a respectful(outside of NASA's funny pictures) Northeast private school rivalry. I don't consider Rutgers or UConn football either. I am more disgusted rather than amped to see our team play them. A rivalry game is something that matters more than a regular game. Syracuse doesn't have a football opponent that feels the same about Syracuse that Syracuse feels about them. Rutgers Internet fans made me dislike them, but I could care less about their football team. UConn fans I didn't dislike them until they got butthurt very recently. BC isn't a rival either because both programs were never up at the same time, but I remember Konrad and McNabb going up there in a fall October game in 1998? that was on CBS and the game was fun to watch. I don't think SU will ever have a huge football rivalry with anyone that both sides will deem as must win, but Boston College is the most likely of any team.

For now, it will have to be BC until we can develop some rivalries in the ACC. Lets face it, we don't have any rivalries now. So we go with BC until we have some.

The ACC will pair SU with BC because they are two programs that nobody else in league cares much to play and because of geographic proximity. But I think the ACC is missing a great opportunity to help create what has already started to develop into a powerful rivalry between SU and Louisville. It already has taken root in basketball where the two perennial top 10 powers have come into competition to win the Big East regular season and have met twice in 4 years for the BET championship. That budding rivalry in hoops could be transferred to football to create a total rivalry.

See, I just don't get the Louisville fascination here. We're talking football.

See, I just don't get the Louisville fascination here. We're talking football.

Sence 2007, we have split the series and for the most part the games have been very competitive. Only the last two seasons have been decided by more than one possession.

2007 - Away - 38-35 W
2008 - Home - 28-21 W
2009 - Away - 10-9 - L
2010 - Home - 28-20 L
2011 - Away - 27-10 L
2012 - Home - 45-36 W

The only thing that may get in the way of this becoming a rivalry is Kentucky. Louisville views them as there number one rival, but there is talk that they may discontinue that game if the SEC goes to 9 conference games. That is where Syracuse and the ACC need to be proactive and match them up. It has the potential especially with the budding basketball rivalry. The football games and basketball games are already competitive, and with the respectful hate that the basketball rivalry is forming, it could easily be carried over to the football game.

A regional rivalry is always more significant.

I think anyone discussing anything having to do with college athletic conferences should avoid ever using the word "permanent". Regualar, usual, habitual use any word you want, but not "permanent."

its 4:42 and georgetown sucks-that is all

this has been a public service announcement from people who care

I will carry the scars of the 4 point field goal game vs BC as long as I live.

#neverforget

The Diamond Ferri game...the '87 comeback...the Scott Schwedes game...the Meltdown in Beantown game (Nunes).
im all for BC. went to just about every one h/a from 88-2002.

New Yorks College Team should be playing the beantown clown entry in rivalry week.

Oh Lord

im all for BC. went to just about every one h/a from 88-2002.

New Yorks College Team should be playing the beantown clown entry in rivalry week.

Oh Lord
Does that make me an Orange Clown?

Does that make me an Orange Clown?
Mr Wolf says, 'just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character'.

however when it comes to clowns, we usually use the duck test...

we are expecting a quick jury.....;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom