ACC - Double Edged Sword | Syracusefan.com

ACC - Double Edged Sword

longislandcuse

Living Legend
On one hand, if we get in, it's because of the ACC patch on our jerseys. Pretty pathetic last two years as far as regular seasons go. 9-9/10-8 in the ACC is a feather in the cap when going in front of the Selection Committee.

The ability to rebound and perhaps salvage the season is due to multiple chances against big time teams for marquee wins.

On the other hand, when you need one win to solidify yourselves into the NCAA Tournament, your first game is against a Miami or Pitt. Meanwhile, in other conference tournaments, borderline Top 25 teams aren't involved in the 8/9 game and many bubble teams get the luxury of a far worse team to capture that extra win.

Obviously, we could just stop sucking in the regular season and not have to worry about all this.

News Flash to people. We need to stop expecting great conference records. The 2nd place team was 12-6(ND). I wouldn't expect more than 11-12 ACC wins going forward at all. 10 is tough as it is. This conference is a gauntlet. We need to be better in November and December going forward. You can win 11 games in this conference and finish in 3rd place. We need to stop comparing this to the past. If anyone pays attention to ACC soccer they know what I am talking about.

News Flash to people. We need to stop expecting great conference records. The 2nd place team was 12-6(ND). I wouldn't expect more than 11-12 ACC wins going forward at all. 10 is tough as it is. This conference is a gauntlet. We need to be better in November and December going forward. You can win 11 games in this conference and finish in 3rd place. We need to stop comparing this to the past. If anyone pays attention to ACC soccer they know what I am talking about.

We better start expecting to win more games than 11-12 games. In 2 years 10-10 will be .500 in conference

We better start expecting to win more games than 11-12 games. In 2 years 10-10 will be .500 in conference

I didn't realize that. If that's the case I still wouldn't expect more than 13-14. We still would need to go 11-0 or 10-1 in the non conference.

Syracuse was one game away from being fifth in the conference at 11-7 as they have the tie breaker over Duke and Virginia. What more do you want? ACC was a dogfight every game for the most part for most teams.

We can be a little smarter in the non conference moving forward. We schedule like a Springsteen concert taking requests from the crowd.

I hate the Big East games. It was nice at first, but we've been in the ACC for four years. It's over. We don't need to play Nova/SJU/Gtown anymore. The ACC/B1G challenge gets us a good game. We should start H/H with other major conference teams outside of the BE.

I hate the Big East games. It was nice at first, but we've been in the ACC for four years. It's over. We don't need to play Nova/SJU/Gtown anymore. The ACC/B1G challenge gets us a good game. We should start H/H with other major conference teams outside of the BE.

Agreed. A lot of people don't, but hopefully after seeing the gauntlet of the ACC and the improvement of many programs we figure it out. If paths cross in a preseason thing then so be it.

Honestly thank god the RPI is going away. If it still existed I would want us to play on the road at Cornell and Colgate just to game it.

The problem this year was losing OOC games to the old Big East teams. We did OK in ACC games except the loss to BC -- but SU always has 1 what happened conference loss every year, it's a tradition. The problem wasn't being in the ACC.

...or, we could just win more

Exactly. Nothing was wrong with our OOC schedule. The below weren't difficult games:
  • UCONN was not good this year.
  • Georgetown was not good this year
  • BC ran us out of the gym in front of a crowd that was probably 60% Orange.
  • St. Johns beat us by 30 and made us quit in the dome
Those aren't good teams and are games that if we want to make the tournament then no way, no how can you go 0-4. To be honest I think we're fortunate to even be in a position where the NCAAT is a possibility after that start. ACC depth helped us out this year.

Exactly. Nothing was wrong with our OOC schedule. The below weren't difficult games:
Those aren't good teams and are games that if we want to make the tournament then no way, no how can you go 0-4. To be honest I think we're fortunate to even be in a position where the NCAAT is a possibility after that start. ACC depth helped us out this year.

there are a good 6 or so games we "should" have won this year, including those four, Pitt and GTech.

we win even 3 of them and we aren't riding the bubble

I think the committee at least wants to see that you schedule some tough OOC games. it would certainly help to win a couple, which we didn't(Monmouth is solid and top 50 RPI but not marquee), but if we don't get in it will be because we were so el sucko away from the Dome. Honestly, look at what the NCAA Tourney is. Tough game after tough game away from your home arena. So, the two big criteria should be who you beat and if you didn't fall flat on your face away from home. We are batting .500 in that regard, let's hope it's enough. Obviously, if we had just beaten BC, or beaten 2 of the 3 old Big East OOC teams, we would be a slam dunk.

...or, we could just win more
2813438-.jpg

I think we lost a majority of those games because Frank Howard was getting too many minutes. UConn and Georgetown specifically.

I'll take 19-17 in the ACC as opposed to 21-15 in the AAC
I think Cuses record in all ACC games (reg season and tourney) is 28-29. Wonder if the BE would ever take Cuse back. Lol

Really good teams don't care who the heck you play. Beat who they put in front of you. Nothing wrong with scheduling Uconn, gtown, st johns. Just beat em

I'd argue there was something wrong w/ our OOC schedule. It was embarrassingly weak for an "elite" program. Apparently not weak enough though.

I'm ok with 10-8 this year. I have a big problem with 5 OOC losses, 3 of them coming to crappy teams. That's unheard of for Cuse. If we win those, we're 21-11 and everything's fine.

This thread sounds like the football thread where we're desperate to go 500 and make a bowl.

It's over guys.

We can be a little smarter in the non conference moving forward. We schedule like a Springsteen concert taking requests from the crowd.

Sub out the old BE foes. Add in the non-Nova Big 5 teams and we're good to go.

This thread sounds like the football thread where we're desperate to go 500 and make a bowl.

It's over guys.

We play in the equivalent of the SEC. It's OK to go easy at the outset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom