ACC Eliminates Intraconference Transfer Rule | Syracusefan.com

ACC Eliminates Intraconference Transfer Rule

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Monday the elimination of the league’s intraconference transfer rule.

The decision was made by the league’s Board of Directors and was done so unanimously.

The ACC’s intraconference transfer rule was created by the membership in 1996 (excerpt of ACC Bylaws included below).
“The time has come for all student-athletes to have the opportunity to transfer and be permitted to compete immediately,” said ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips. “This decision is in the best interest of our student-athletes as it allows greater flexibility during their collegiate career.”

Question. It says to compete immediately. How does that work with the ncaa rule that the player must sit out a year without a waiver? (Rule change pending)

Question. It says to compete immediately. How does that work with the ncaa rule that the player must sit out a year without a waiver? (Rule change pending)

It might not be a permanent rule change -- more like a one-time waiver this off-season due to extenuating circumstances [COVID-19].

I expect it to pass, and to also be what occurs in college basketball.

Will result in out-and-out free agency this year.

The NCAA always required you to sit out a year. The ACC also required you to sit out an additional year.

That's why you rarely saw players transfer from one ACC school to another, having to sit two years.

The ACC has now eliminated their intraconference restrictions.

If the NCAA gets around to voting on their new rules this Spring, anyone will be able to make a one time transfer without waivers and be eligible immediately.

If the NCAA kicks the can down the road again, you'll still have to sit, but only 1 year.

I think the ACC is the first conference to do this. It is at least the first I have seen.

Good to see the conference starting to establish itself as a leader in embracing pro athlete stands. Someone has to and I don't think any of the other conferences are up to the task.

I think the ACC is the first conference to do this. It is at least the first I have seen.

Good to see the conference starting to establish itself as a leader in embracing pro athlete stands. Someone has to and I don't think any of the other conferences are up to the task.

How many other conferences prevented intraconference transfers in the first place?

How many other conferences prevented intraconference transfers in the first place?
The SEC did.

And the PAC 12

Anyone think Alan leaves to play with his bro?

Nope.
Duke probably has some other Top Ten croot all lined up to play next to Alan’s bro.

Nope.
Duke probably has some other Top Ten croot all lined up to play next to Alan’s bro.
Yeah but how did that work for them this year?

They could want some transfer experience.

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Monday the elimination of the league’s intraconference transfer rule.

The decision was made by the league’s Board of Directors and was done so unanimously.

The ACC’s intraconference transfer rule was created by the membership in 1996 (excerpt of ACC Bylaws included below).
“The time has come for all student-athletes to have the opportunity to transfer and be permitted to compete immediately,” said ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips. “This decision is in the best interest of our student-athletes as it allows greater flexibility during their collegiate career.”
Bad language. The time has long passed to allow student athletes...