ACC expanding to 6? | Syracusefan.com

ACC expanding to 6?

wvlax

2nd String
NC State?
Screenshot_2019-01-31-11-02-26.png

I would usually say zero chance based on what I’ve heard over the last few years down here in Raleigh. Not sure how they would get it to work, but this may actually give such a scenario life support. Cautiously optimistic.

And it should be noted, since I’ve moved down here in summer of ‘06, lacrosse has grown a lot. Still plenty of work to do, but the last decade and a half has seen major improvement in the growth of the game.

I think it's more a question of having enough money rather than Title IX alone. They don't have a WLax team, so starting one probably could get their Title IX numbers to work since their big emphasis on STEM gives them a 55% male population. They could also start a field hockey team to get their numbers up, if necessary, but again, that costs money they may not have.

It’s a circular combination. To add a team costs money. To add a team requires Title IX compliance. To be compliant with Title IX may require adding another team(s). To add another team(s) costs money.

But, at least there’s a bit more hope for a sixth team, especially if the Florida State thing isn’t happening

They have tons of money. Only needs to add a woman's sports(s) that requires 12.5 scholarships. Might as well just add men's and woman's lacrosse.

NC State Athletics
  • WOMEN'S SPORTS
  • Basketball
  • Cross Country
  • Golf
  • Gymnastics
  • Rifle (coed)
  • Soccer
  • Softball
  • Swimming & Diving
  • Tennis
  • Track & Field
  • Volleyball

• MEN'S SPORTS
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Cross Country
  • Football
  • Golf
  • Rifle (coed)
  • Soccer
  • Swimming & Diving
  • Tennis
  • Track & Field
  • Wrestling

They have tons of money. Only needs to add a woman's sports(s) that requires 12.5 scholarships. Might as well just add men's and woman's lacrosse.

It’s not a simple 1 for 1. It depends on the male to female ratio of the student body. I don’t know what NC State’s ratio is, but that’s a huge consideration. It’s not necessarily enough to say there are 10 male sports and 10 female sports.

I’m not saying it’s impossible or never going to happen, but it won’t be quick or easy.

It’s not a simple 1 for 1. It depends on the male to female ratio of the student body. I don’t know what NC State’s ratio is, but that’s a huge consideration. It’s not necessarily enough to say there are 10 male sports and 10 female sports.

I’m not saying it’s impossible or never going to happen, but it won’t be quick or easy.

i thought it was really just as simple as 1 scholarship to 1 scholarship, that's why there's usually a disproportionate number for female sports to make up for the 85 football scholarships.

I assume in NC States case they're making up the numbers in gymnastics but they seem to have 1:1 sports which is not very common I don't believe.

love that they have rifle.

According to CollegeBoard, the current gender breakdown is 53% men, 47% women.

From NCAA.org:

An institution must meet all of the following requirements in order to be in compliance with Title IX:
  1. For participation requirements, institutions officials must meet one of the following three tests. An institution may:
    1. Provide participation opportunities for women and men that are substantially proportionate to their respective rates of enrollment of full-time undergraduate students;
    2. Demonstrate a history and continuing practice of program expansion for the underrepresented sex;
    3. Fully and effectively accommodate the interests and abilities of the underrepresented sex; and,
  2. Female and male student-athletes must receive athletics scholarship dollars proportional to their participation; and,
  3. Equal treatment of female and male student-athletes in the eleven provisions as mentioned above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom