ACC Football and Basketball Coming to The CW Network This Fall | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Football and Basketball Coming to The CW Network This Fall

Put a 500 ft antenna on your roof. Maybe you can catch it over the air from Syracuse.
That might be my only chance as my supplier indicated today the CW channel is not available on DISH Network in northern New York. However, she did say that, due to the unusual circumstances of my location, she could possibly move my address of record from Watertown to Buffalo where the channel is available on DISH. Will likely wait until the TV schedule comes out and decide then, although I hate changes at my age.

I get every sports channel possible. I fear that the WB will broadcast their teen shows long before they will exempt them to show a college basketball game.
But it’s the network purchasing rights, not local affiliates.

There shouldn’t be conflicts

then this is bad news

Depends on your perspective... as one who does not get YES but does get CW, I think this is good news.

However, I will reserve judgment until they start airing.

I am half expecting when the first game airs, my YouTubeTV stream service CW channel will display the kiss-of-death black screen "Broadcast blacked out in your region" error... as in the streaming rights are exclusive to certain platforms only and/or they try to charge the streaming services extra for it and they don't pay it.

Then, I will be back to my streaming alchemy of:

Laptop > VPN Logged from Wisconsin > Chrome Browser > Watch ESPN+ Game Stream > Stream to 1st Gen Chromecast stick on my TV

Depends on your perspective... as one who does not get YES but does get CW, I think this is good news.

I am half expecting when the first game airs, my YouTubeTV stream service CW channel will display the kiss-of-death black screen "Broadcast blacked out in your region" error... as in the streaming rights are exclusive to certain platforms only and/or they try to charge the streaming services extra for it and they don't pay it.

Laptop > VPN Logged from Wisconsin > Chrome Browser > Watch ESPN+ Game Stream > Stream to 1st Gen Chromecast stick on my TV
I don't care that it is on CW on weekends. But the during the week coverage will suffer. I'm thinking hoop.

If it's your local CW station, why would it get blacked out? And if you don't have a local CW station, no one's carry rights are violated. Don't forget there is also a CW app you can put onto your streaming device.
I don't care that it is on CW on weekends. But the during the week coverage will suffer. I'm thinking hoop.
It's "anticipated" that ESPN will gobble up the weekday games that were formerly on the RSNs. They may be on ACCN Xtra, and available through the ESPN app, but that's part of your subscription to the ACCN.

If it's your local CW station, why would it get blacked out? And if you don't have a local CW station, no one's carry rights are violated. Don't forget there is also a CW app you can put onto your streaming device.

It's "anticipated" that ESPN will gobble up the weekday games that were formerly on the RSNs. They may be on ACCN Xtra, and available through the ESPN app, but that's part of your subscription to the ACCN.
Unfortunately, that interferes with how I enjoy watching the games. I have got in to dyr ing the games and begin watching about 45 minutes after they start. I blow through the stops in the game. I catch up with about 4 minutes left. Makes the game more enjoyable to me. I can't do this on the apps.

Unfortunately, that interferes with how I enjoy watching the games. I have got in to dyr ing the games and begin watching about 45 minutes after they start. I blow through the stops in the game. I catch up with about 4 minutes left. Makes the game more enjoyable to me. I can't do this on the apps.
Understand that. My dad does the same thing. That's one thing ESPN desperately needs to do to improve their app/online viewing. MLB app gives you the option to watch from the start or pick it up live and it works great. Not sure why that is so difficult for ESPN.

I do that too. Fortunately my old school cable has the CW.

I have programmed my YouTube TV to DVR all UVa football and basketball games. (it records all lacrosse games, not just UVa's for some reason). If I go to the library to start watching a game after it has started, it asks me whether I want to watch it from the beginning, catch up to the live broadcast by watching just highlights, or watch the game live. I'll usually select watch from the beginning so I can zoom through the commercials.

Last edited:
That might be my only chance as my supplier indicated today the CW channel is not available on DISH Network in northern New York. However, she did say that, due to the unusual circumstances of my location, she could possibly move my address of record from Watertown to Buffalo where the channel is available on DISH. Will likely wait until the TV schedule comes out and decide then, although I hate changes at my age.

Have you tried using their app to watch LIV? If that works then you likely will get the ACC games.

So if games are nationally televised, and the rest are all on ESPN or ESPN+, iot sounds like I can cancel teh sports pack wtih directv and reduce my package. That's good news. Have we confirmed if the CW games will be national?

So if games are nationally televised, and the rest are all on ESPN or ESPN+, iot sounds like I can cancel teh sports pack wtih directv and reduce my package. That's good news. Have we confirmed if the CW games will be national?
Yes. A number of reports have said national distribution. If you get CW, you will get the games on it.

First off ACC home games are not on ESPN+. ACC home games are on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and the ACC Network. You're confusing ESPN+ with ACC Network Xtra. You cannot watch any games on the ACC Network or ACC Network Xtra unless your subscription includes them as well. You need to check that the ACC Network is included as part of how you get ESPN. For some providers it's at a higher tier than the basic subscription.

Have you tried to stream these prior "RSN" games through YES or ESPN+ using a streaming service before?

If you have, you'd know they were blacked out regionally.

I am not saying this will be the case with CW, just that I would not be surprised if so... that the access is granted to certain streaming services and not others.

I have YouTubeTV and even before they dropped YES from their channel lineup, the RSN games were blacked out on YES in Northeastern markets typically.

Have you tried to stream these prior "RSN" games through YES or ESPN+ using a streaming service before?

I am not saying this will be the case with CW, just that I would not be surprised if so... that the access is granted to certain streaming services and not others.

I have YouTubeTV and even before they dropped YES from their channel lineup, the RSN games were blacked out on YES in Northeastern markets typically.
Blackouts are idiotic in the new streaming world IMO.

My area didn't have a designated RSN, so I was able to watch the games on the regular ESPN app at no cost and without a subscription. I went to the ESPN app, selected the game, clicked on my provider from the menu, logged in, and watched the game. I followed the same procedure for games on ACC Network Xtra.

My area does have a CW channel and it is one of the local stations in my YouTube TV package, so I will be able to select those games to watch live or DVR.

It's one thing if there's a CW station in your area and they black out the game because the station isn't a part of your streaming package and it's quite another if there isn't a CW station and they try to keep you from using their app to watch the game. For most areas that have a CW outlet, it's usually the main part of a UHF station or a sub channel of a VHF station. Either one can be picked up over-the-air within 20-30 miles.

Last edited:
My area didn't have a designated RSN, so I was able to watch the games on the regular ESPN app at no cost and without a subscription. I went to the ESPN app, selected the game, clicked on my provider from the menu, logged in, and watched the game. I followed the same procedure for games on ACC Network Xtra.

My area does have a CW channel and it is one of the local stations in my YouTube TV package, so I will be able to select those games to watch live or DVR.

It's one thing if there's a CW station in your area and they black out the game because the station isn't a part of your streaming package and it's quite another if there isn't a CW station and they try to keep you from using their app to watch the game. For most areas that have a CW outlet, it's usually the main part of a UHF station or a sub channel of a VHF station. Either one can be picked up over-the-air within 20-30 miles.

No, it was that RSN live sports content was not included in the station streaming package through YouTubeTV... hence why the games were blacked out. The ESPN+ app did the same thing.

Hence my workaround for ESPN+ logged in via VPN from somewhere in the midwest or west coast... that worked.

Well count me in as one who officially hates this move. CW is still off Directv in my market and isn't available in my area on ANY streaming service. No Hulu, no YouTubetv, etc. I'm in a dead zone for OTA antenna reception. I literally can't watch the football game this weekend and multiple regular season bball games even if I want to. So dumb.