ACC Football Schedule Model Release | 6 PM | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Football Schedule Model Release | 6 PM

Everyone is aware UL has no rivals. That was discussed weeks ago in the David Teel article. Old news.

And it is no excuse for screwing up schedule balancing so badly with this model.

They were supposed to account for the rivalries and then take the rest of the ACC schools and try and play them all an equal number of times.

If you need at some ACC schools, the schedule does exactly that. SMU, Cal, Stanford have 7 games against each other and play everyone else 3 times. That is wonderful. Great job ACC.

We play the North Carolina schools 2 times in 7 years. And we play Louisville 5 times in 7 years.

The same applies to BC and Pitt.

I would be fine with playing some non-rival schools 3 times and some 4. 5 vs 2 is too extreme. Major fail. Playing 4 conference schools once at home in seven years put us back in the days of the original awful schedule model.

The bottom line is that the ACC gave the schools in NC preferential treatment. Shame on them.

F9uTGeMXUAAwlkm
They definitely did it under the "guise" of minimizing travel. But the only teams it benefits are the NC schools who are closest to each other. Nobody else gets the benefit...so it rings hollow.

That said, I'm largely OK with the outcome for us but it definitely is uneven.

Everyone is aware UL has no rivals. That was discussed weeks ago in the David Teel article. Old news.

And it is no excuse for screwing up schedule balancing so badly with this model.

They were supposed to account for the rivalries and then take the rest of the ACC schools and try and play them all an equal number of times.

If you need at some ACC schools, the schedule does exactly that. SMU, Cal, Stanford have 7 games against each other and play everyone else 3 times. That is wonderful. Great job ACC.

We play the North Carolina schools 2 times in 7 years. And we play Louisville 5 times in 7 years.

The same applies to BC and Pitt.

I would be fine with playing some non-rival schools 3 times and some 4. 5 vs 2 is too extreme. Major fail. Playing 4 conference schools once at home in seven years put us back in the days of the original awful schedule model.

The bottom line is that the ACC gave the schools in NC preferential treatment. Shame on them.

F9uTGeMXUAAwlkm

Pretty easy to give everyone 2 perms. Just make a few changes from the below.

BC was given SU and Pitt (who they haven't been playing). Lose Pitt and add Wake. Done.
Cal was given SMU and Stanford. Done.
Clemson was only given FSU. Give them GA Tech. Done.
Duke was given UNC, NC State (who they haven't been playing), and Wake. Lose Wake. Done.
FSU was given Clemson and Miami. Done.
GT was given no one. Give them Clemson and Louisville. Done.
Louisville was given no one. Give them GA Tech and Pitt. Done.
Miami was given FSU and VA Tech (who was removed from last 3 perm setup). Done.
UNC was given Duke, NC State, UVA. Lose NC State. Done.
NC State was given Duke, UNC, Wake. Lose UNC. Done.
Pitt was given BC and SU. Lose BC and add Louisville. Done.
SMU was given Cal and Stanford. Done.
Stanford was given Cal and SMU. Done.
SU was given BC and Pitt. Done.
UVA was given UNC and VA Tech. Done.
VA Tech was given Miami and UVA. Done.
Wake was given Duke and NC State. Lose Duke and add BC. Done.

That is pretty simple. The only issue is you lose UNC-NC State but tough shite. You have to make concessions when you create a super conference. When UNC leaves the ACC they won't be playing NC State anyway. Is it a big deal to play them 3x in 7 years now?

Oh and to ratify the schedule you only need a 2/3rds majority. So if you piss off just UNC and NC State, they cannot block it.

Those of you who believe the North Carolina schools get all the calls should be happy. Those are the 4 schools we play the least.
Good catch. I'm fine with it.
These giant conferences are so stupid. In the same conference and play against each other as much as any random home and home

Last edited:
Good catch. I'm fine with it.
These giant conferences are so stupid. I'm the same conference and play against each other as much as any random home and home

I have no problem with the schedule at all.

But one thing that made me laugh. If you throw out the Covid year and its random scheduling. We have been in this league since 2013. By the end of the 2030 season, we would have played UNC and SMU the same amount of times.

Last edited:
I took this years current SRS and applied to that matrix to see who has the toughest schedule for the whole cycle

We have the 12th hardest schedule. Pitt betting bad this year definitely skews it.

Clemson has the hardest. Then Virginia, Miami, NC State, Wake, Stanford, gt, bc, Pitt, cal, duke, su, UNC, VT, FSU, Louisville, SMU

Not a big absolute gap. The average srs opponent for the hardest schedule works out to the 43 best team and the easiest schedule works out to the 59th best

Ours is like playing the 51st beat team on average

But one thing that made me laugh. If you throw out the Covid year and it's random scheduling. We have been in this league since 2013. By the end of the 2030 season, we would have played UNC and SMU the same amount of times.
With how much the conferences and schedules change , there is no difference in the schedule between just being an independent

If being in a conference brings in so much more money than an independent schedule does (obviously), you have to wonder what the TV networks are paying for. They have to be overpaying for Syracuse games

But one thing that made me laugh. If you throw out the Covid year and it's random scheduling. We have been in this league since 2013. By the end of the 2030 season, we would have played UNC and SMU the same amount of times.

The things people argue about in the big scope of college football - protecting rivalries and making travel reasonable, seem to be reasonably covered. Yeah Clemson doesn't play the the other engineering schools as much as would be nice but FSU is just a bigger game.

We've played BC and Pitt something like a combined 130 times. Keep it going.

i'm loving that Stanford/Cal/SMU are on the agenda now for "conf play". We certainly align, as a university, better with Stanford and Cal than we do with NC State. It's gonna be fun playing those nerdy schools. Fun is fun.

They could have put Louisville with Pitt (instead of BC) and/or GA Tech. Somehow UVA was able to dump them.

Some schools got their way others got dumped on. Fairest thing was the 2 perms and play the rest based on location. But life ain’t fair.
We only got them as the replacement for Maryland. We have no burning desire to play them and they don't have a burning desire to play us (VPI is 100 miles closer). If Maryland was still in the league, we probably would have kept them.

Looking at our schedules (not including Notre Dame yet as those might change)...

We have too much UConn. If we are now on 7 year cycles, playing them once H&A is plenty. Would be nice to see more Temple and even UMass (if at Gilllette).

Needs
2024: P4/G5/FCS (if we lose at Army)
2025: Hopefully an FCS to replace Notre Dame, and a G5 ( if we lose Army)
2026: G5 (if we lose Army) and P4 (if we lose ND)
2027: FCS and G5
2028: FCS and two G5s
2029: Two G5s and a P4 (if we lose ND)
2030: FCS and two G5s. Need a P4 (unless Notre Dame is added)

For the FCS games I would like to see Colgate, Fordham, Holy Cross. As to the G5s we need to add at least one series with in order of preference FIU, FAU, USF. That will give us a 3rd trip to Florida. It might even be a good idea to add two of those for a 4th trip (2028 and 2030 fit best). For the other G5s either Temple, UMass, or an Ohio MAC team. If we need a P4 then Rutgers, Maryland, or West Virginia. Maybe UCF if we can't get a Florida G5.

Home: Ohio, Holy Cross, Miami, VA Tech, GA Tech, Stanford
Away: UConn, BC, Pitt, Cal, NC State
We already have two Northeast road games with BC and Pitt (three if we keep Army), so it would be nice to flip this UConn road game with the next year's home game. Need to replace Army, and a G5 would be best.

Home: UConn, BC, Pitt, Duke, UNC
Away: Clemson, Miami, GA Tech, SMU
Neutral: Tennessee
Need an FCS home game for sure. I think we will lose the Army game, and hopefully lose the at Notre Dame game. Hopefully we can replace Army/ND with an FCS/G5. That is a lot of travel.

Home: UConn, New Hampshire, Clemson, SMU, Louisville, Cal
Away: BC, Pitt, UNC, UVA
I think we lose the at Army game. Notre Dame staying here would be fine. If not then we need a new P4 game. Need to a G5 replacement for Army.

Home: BC, Pitt, NC State, FSU
Away: UConn, Penn State, GA Tech, Stanford, Louisville, VA Tech
Need an FCS and a G5 home.

Home: Penn State, Louisville, Miami, Wake, UVA
Away: BC, Pitt, Clemson, Duke
Need an FCS. Need two G5s.

Home: Morgan State, BC, Pitt, SMU, VA Tech
Away: Cal, Louisville, FSU, UVA
Need two G5s. The game with Notre Dame fits so hopefully that stays. If not we need a P4.

Home: FSU, Stanford, Louisville, GA Tech
Away: BC, Pitt, Wake, SMU
Need an FCS and two G5s. Need a P4, unless Notre Dame is added.

i'm loving that Stanford/Cal/SMU are on the agenda now for "conf play". We certainly align, as a university, better with Stanford and Cal than we do with NC State. It's gonna be fun playing those nerdy schools. Fun is fun.
I think SMU is going to be a difficult game sooner rather than later. They were doing NIL long before it was permitted.

Our changes...

Trips to Florida went from 7x in 12 years (58.3%) to 3x in 4 years (75%) to 2x in 7 years (28.6%).

Trips to VA went from 1x in 6 years (16.7%) to 2x in 4 years (50%) to 3x in 7 years (42.9%).

Trips to North Carolina 7x in 6 years (116.7%) to 4x in 4 years (100%) to 4x in 7 years (57.1%).

Trips to Atlanta went from 1x in 12 years (8.3%) to 1x in 4 years (25.0%) to 2x in 7 years (28.6%).

BC and Pitt went from yearly to yearly to yearly
Clemson went from yearly to every 2 years to every 2.33 years
Duke and UNC went from every 6 years to every 2 years to every 3.5 years
FSU went from yearly to yearly to every 2.33 years
GA Tech went from every 6 years to every 2 years to every 1.75 years
Louisville went from yearly to every 2 years to every 1.4 years
Miami, UVA, and VA Tech went from every 6 years to every 2 years to every 2.33 years
NC State and Wake went from yearly to every 2 years to every 3.5 years

With Divisions
Yearly: BC, Clemson, FSU, Louisville, NC State, Pitt, Wake
Every 6 years: Duke, GA Tech, Miami. UNC, UVA, VA Tech

With 3 Perms
Yearly: BC, FSU, Pitt
Every other year: Clemson, Duke, GA Tech, Louisville, Miami, NC State, UNC, UVA, VA Tech, Wake

With 2 Perms
Yearly: BC, Pitt
5 in 7: Louisville
4 in 7: GA Tech
3 in 7: Clemson, FSU, Miami, UVA, VA Tech
2 in 7: Duke, NC State, UNC, Wake

Not cool that the Pitt & BCU games didn't get split into one home and one road game. :(

The Orangemen haven't been to Atlanta in ages, now they'll be here 4 times in 5 seasons. Crazy!

For those considering a 2025 trip to Atlanta, I would recommend going to the August 31st game against the Vols. Mercedes-Benz Stadium is awesome. Hit the College Hall of Fame while you're in town.

Those of you who believe the North Carolina schools get all the calls should be happy. Those are the 4 schools we play the least.
Also, hopefully, less Bojangles commercials. Whatever that is...

I'm excited. Going to Georgia Tech this year, at Cal next year and hopefully back to Atlanta for Tennessee in 2025.
I may see you at all three of those*.

* - I live outside of Atlanta, so the first and last are gimmes.
If my son still lives in San Fran then I'll go there as well. Oh, and head North a bit to check out the local grape juice. :)

I may see you at all three of those*.

* - I live outside of Atlanta, so the first and last are gimmes.
If my son still lives in San Fran then I'll go there as well. Oh, and head North a bit to check out the local grape juice. :)
Awesome!! I can't wait to see friends and family in Atlanta, hopefully competitive football too. My wife and I plus a few friends will be at Mark's tailgate.

Sonoma and Napa are such a fun trip. Lots of an amazing craft beer up there too. Russian River in Santa Rosa is a must stop.

My wife and I plus a few friends will be at Mark's tailgate.
Then you'll be stuck meeting me. ;)
I'll be there as soon as the lot opens and will have a grill, tent, cooler, etc..
See you there!

Sorry about the distraction... back to the schedule we go...

Then you'll be stuck meeting me. ;)
I'll be there as soon as the lot opens and will have a grill, tent, cooler, etc..
See you there!

Sorry about the distraction... back to the schedule we go...
Haha! All good. After posting in various incarnations of this group since about 1998 or 99 this is the first tailgate I’ve ever attended(moved to San Diego in 2001).

Excited to meet you and everyone!!

We'll have to see how long these schedules hold up for.
The last round only lasted for 1 year. ;)
It might last until FSU and Clemson think they can afford to buy their way out. Or not.

I think SMU is going to be a difficult game sooner rather than later. They were doing NIL long before it was permitted.
That, plus now they are a P4 rather than a G5 team. That new status has meaning to the players they want to recruit. They've got to be considered one of the big winners in this latest reshuffle.

Last edited:
B12 is only protecting 4 games total. And one of those isn’t even a big deal. Weird that a 16 team conference only has 3 real rivalry games. UNC has more by themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom