ACC Move: A Tremendous Betrayal of NYC-NJ Alumni | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Move: A Tremendous Betrayal of NYC-NJ Alumni

Well, life is definitely worth living without Georgetown around. Though I hope we can still play them each season.

But I hear you...SU fans travel really well to NE venues, especially for basketball, and it would be unfortunate if we lost almost all those chances to travel to league games. This is a big reason why it is important to add UConn and Rutgers as the last 2 members.

No one school can deliver the NYC metro market but all three together can. It becomes realistic to play the BEACC final at MSG, go to a major market and get media attention and respect that has steadily deteriorated as ACC basketball has struggled in recent years. No way the ACC tournament would always be played in NYC, but with the lineup I am talking about, I would hope the ACC leaders would be smart enough to alternate between a southern location and MSG every other year.

I for one am praying that Texas and ND decide to pass on the ACC so we can have the true Eastern seaboard conference many of us have been pining for.

As little as I like Rutgers, I would like to see UConn and another Big East member come along eventually. I think it would help shift the balance of power at least slightly away from UNC and Duke. It would also help to increase the level of commonality between us and some of our new conference mates. It would also allow us to preserve at least one true hoops rivalry. I guess folks think Rutgers would be the most likely candidate in that scenario, but I would think that WVU would also be considered. Nova could be another remote possibility as it would help to deliver Philadelphia - but obviously would have a lot of work to do to get its football program to a position where it would need to be.

Clearly Texas and Notre Dame bring the most in their current arsenal, but not sure you want to go the direction of part-time membership. Two part-time members that are largely financed with independent TV deals could be real gorillas to deal with.

At the pre-season hoops tourney we will play every year at The Garden.

Best case: annual tourney with SJU, UCONN, Nova, and Cuse.

We will always play in the Garden. Always.

44cuse

This expansion thing isn't over yet, guys. Coach K seems to indicate that the BBall schools would prefer two 8-team divisions. Before all is said and done, I see at least one more BE school joining the ACC. They will go to 16.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

for the syracuse fans who are not in the WNY, NYC, NJ area...how are you able to watch syrcuse bball games? thats my biggest concern. with SNY we were able to see a lot of the local games.

does espn3 show a lot of the "lesser" games? or are you stuck with going to local bars?

The Syracuse deal with SNY has nothing to do with what conference we are in. That is a SU deal. NOT a big east deal

I can't see the ACC taking WVa - that school does not meet the ACC academic profile - they belong in the SEC, even though everyone is saying they are heading to the B10/16. UConn sued the ACC when they raided the BE years ago so the lingering resentment by ACC officials might preclude them being invited, too. It would be sad to lose those rivalries but 'Cuse will grow new ones and renew old ones. I hope they will find a way to play b-ball vs. Georgetown in the DC area periodically, and get to MSG for some tournament action.
I am wondering if the ACC b-ball tournament might be rotated between several site in the future? Would hate to see it remain stuck in Carolina each year.

for the syracuse fans who are not in the WNY, NYC, NJ area...how are you able to watch syrcuse bball games? thats my biggest concern. with SNY we were able to see a lot of the local games.

does espn3 show a lot of the "lesser" games? or are you stuck with going to local bars?

I live in NC and the only hoop games I miss are the early season games against cupcakes. For the most part I have been able to watch every BE conference game along with the good OOC matchups.

As little as I like Rutgers, I would like to see UConn and another Big East member come along eventually. I think it would help shift the balance of power at least slightly away from UNC and Duke. It would also help to increase the level of commonality between us and some of our new conference mates. It would also allow us to preserve at least one true hoops rivalry. I guess folks think Rutgers would be the most likely candidate in that scenario, but I would think that WVU would also be considered. Nova could be another remote possibility as it would help to deliver Philadelphia - but obviously would have a lot of work to do to get its football program to a position where it would need to be.

Clearly Texas and Notre Dame bring the most in their current arsenal, but not sure you want to go the direction of part-time membership. Two part-time members that are largely financed with independent TV deals could be real gorillas to deal with.

IMO, I think if the ACC goes to 16 then UCONN and Rutgers will be the two that join. UCONN brings a tremendous basketball program and a decent football program. Rutgers brings... ahh, Rutger's brings, let me see...I got nothing, folks. Their basketball is horrible, their football is just as bad. But what they do bring, along with UCONN, is balance and symmetry to a conference that spans the entire east coast. You have a good balance of northern and southern teams. You preserve some tremendous rivalries with UCONN/SU, Pitt/SU. The ACC with UCONN, SU, Pitt, UNC and Duke is the best basketball conference in the country. The addition of SU, UCONN and Rutgers also locks in the NY/NJ tv market. I can see Villanova as a huge longshot to join the ACC but I don't think that will happen. UCONN and RU makes the most sense.

When would we ever get to see the Orange?
Oh...on TV game$$$.

Also, all those away games where half the crowd is in orange...forget it.
(Except for Miami).

And is life really worth living without having G-town to hate (and beat)?
Reach into your pocket a little a book a plane/hotel and have a nice vacation watching the Orange kick some ACC butt!

The only advantage of having Rutgers join the ACC would be to give the b-ball teams an easy win within the conference. Having them as bottom-feeder would mean one less decent team within the conference beig left out of the NCAA tournament.
As for the perception that Rutgers delivers the NYC TV market - what % in that area really follow Rutgers? As for UCONN - they are probably headed for b-ball probation and when Jim Calhoun retires will anyoje care about UCONN b-ball? Do they have a strong football future?
Would not surprise me if ACC looked outside the remaining BE schools to add 2 more.

The only advantage of having Rutgers join the ACC would be to give the b-ball teams an easy win within the conference. Having them as bottom-feeder would mean one less decent team within the conference beig left out of the NCAA tournament.
As for the perception that Rutgers delivers the NYC TV market - what % in that area really follow Rutgers? As for UCONN - they are probably headed for b-ball probation and when Jim Calhoun retires will anyoje care about UCONN b-ball? Do they have a strong football future?
Would not surprise me if ACC looked outside the remaining BE schools to add 2 more.

L'ville and South Florida to the ACC I would rather have than UCONN and Rutgers, but thats just me

All alums I know in NYC have no problems hoping on a flight to get out of town for a weekend. They usually only fly to southern destinations. And rarely travel to Syracuse.

Oh...on TV game$$$.

(Except for Miami).

Yes, because the athletic department has shown no interest at all about having a presence in NYC :crazy:

I would guess that with the new arena opening soon in Brooklyn, we'll see twice as many college basketball games in NYC, giving SU plenty of chances to showcase in NYC.

i live in nyc area, so i hate cuse leaving the market. but the move makes sense and has to be made. i'm sure we will play at least one game a year at msg like we do now. and wouldn't be surprised if we play another game in the area as well.

How do, you think TCU feels now? How about Womans Hockey? Is SU going to have a men's Baseball Team now?
A lot more about conference realignment than Football and BBall

Oh...on TV game$$$.

(Except for Miami).

Are you Fing out of your mind.

It's a 4 hour drive from NYC to Syracuse. Just go to some games up there if you're so upset. Hell, it's not like we just move SU to Winston-Salem.

Boston's not a bad drive either. And we will probably be there once a year

How do, you think TCU feels now? How about Womans Hockey? Is SU going to have a men's Baseball Team now?
A lot more about conference realignment than Football and BBall
There was no BE women's hockey conference. There is no ACC women's hockey conference. They play in the CHA with a bunch of random schools.

And who cares about TCU? They shouldn't have accepted if they knew this was going to happen.

IMO, I think if the ACC goes to 16 then UCONN and Rutgers will be the two that join. UCONN brings a tremendous basketball program and a decent football program. Rutgers brings... ahh, Rutger's brings, let me see...I got nothing, folks. Their basketball is horrible, their football is just as bad. But what they do bring, along with UCONN, is balance and symmetry to a conference that spans the entire east coast. You have a good balance of northern and southern teams. You preserve some tremendous rivalries with UCONN/SU, Pitt/SU. The ACC with UCONN, SU, Pitt, UNC and Duke is the best basketball conference in the country. The addition of SU, UCONN and Rutgers also locks in the NY/NJ tv market. I can see Villanova as a huge longshot to join the ACC but I don't think that will happen. UCONN and RU makes the most sense.
If the ACC goes to 16, I think they try for Texas and ND as part time members first, with some scheduling arrangement where they each play other ACC teams 3+ times a year in football (ND's existing scheduled games against SU, Pitt and BC already count toward that). ND would love an annual rivalry game with Texas - 2 football independents, with ND reaching the Texas market, which is among the largest and fastest growing in the country. Only if Texas & ND turn down part time ACC membership do the ACC then look to UConn and someone else - maybe Kansas? I would hate to see them bail out Rutgers with an offer.

Stop with the Texas talk. They're in the Pac-1#. The reports are out there.

As long as Doctor Gross is here (a long time I hope), there is about a .000000001% chance that a year goes by where we don't play in MSG. And I expect him, with Pitt and whoever we bring on board (UConn/ND/Rutgers) to push for serious consideration for the ACCT to be in MSG, especially if the Big East turns into the mid-major or bball only conference that we all expect.

I'm a bit more worried about the Georgetown rivalry but I expect us to find a way to play them as well, hopefully on a yearly basis.