ACC Network Talk | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Talk

what speed are you getting now and remember it will drop by a huge factor if all the tv is streamed, factor in HD streams and 3-4 streams per house in many cases. how many people here have fiber to the house?
we have super high speed on the campus with direct backbone links and its struggles under load with 1-2% streaming.

What's an "app?"

PA is never going to be ACC turf without Penn State that is pretty obvious, but Pittsburgh will bring the Western part of the state which has a decent population, and while Pitt isn't huge they aren't a no-name and will bring a portion of that region to an ACC network. Eastern PA and Philadelphia is gone for the ACC and it won't become ACC turf nor will it become B1G turf as Philly is a pro-sports town first and the B1G will never be big there, but Penn State will have that state locked down. I am dating a Penn State grad from Haddenfield, PA which is a burb of Philly and that region is all pro sports, but watches Penn State football only.

I also think that Maryland will still have fans of ACC basketball, and while they will watch Terps basketball primarily, but they will watch to root against Duke/North Carolina in ACC games. I think that if Providence, RI which the heart of Big East country has an ACC network affiliate then Washington D.C. with Virginia Tech, Virginia still in the conference will remain atleast half ACC turf, and I think Baltimore will find an CW type local affiliate to get easy programing for the fall/winter and will maintain an affiliation with the ACC.

UConn is never going to be added as we discussed because of the lawsuit, but they would lockdown CT the state and would help get an ACC network in NYC due to their basketball team. The rest of New England would depend on the sport, college basketball may get some interest in ACC basketball, but college football is not important AT ALL in RI, MA, NH, VT, ME. Those states are all sports suburbs of tge Boston professional teams IMO, and if Boston College is decent they can help, but Boston is never going to be a BC town they are behind the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins by a long margin and unless they are good won't get any coverage.

The ACC network needs to lockdown NC, VA, SC, GA, FL, WNY, CNY will be brought back SU, NYC will need the BTN to get on for the ACC to have a chance, Western PA, KY, some of New England will be needed to make good profits. Also, I would hope ESPN/ACC would work on getting the Directv, Dish onboard as well like they are for BTN. If Notre Dame ever joins full-time in 10 years the conference will have a lot more leverage to get its network national as the entire country loves to hate or root for Notre Dame.

Thanks for your response, and I think that you are dead on correct. The ACC won't get Philly because it's Pro Sports. So is NYC, but Notre Dame FB and Syracuse BB and Connecticut BB cary the College Sports day. I don't think Rutgers does anything. Sorry.

I don't want the ACC to let the Big Ten scoop a good addition over Blumenthall or Calhoun. Both are gone. They both suck, and we can get over it. I'm looking at the map. That's all. The Big XII is kicking themselves over Louisville. I don't want the ACC to do the same. At the same time, don't want a dud. But I'm not sure UConn is a dud.

Thanks for your response, and I think that you are dead on correct. The ACC won't get Philly because it's Pro Sports. So is NYC, but Notre Dame FB and Syracuse BB and Connecticut BB cary the College Sports day. I don't think Rutgers does anything. Sorry.

I don't want the ACC to let the Big Ten scoop a good addition over Blumenthall or Calhoun. Both are gone. They both suck, and we can get over it. I'm looking at the map. That's all. The Big XII is kicking themselves over Louisville. I don't want the ACC to do the same. At the same time, don't want a dud. But I'm not sure UConn is a dud.

I agree about UConn they have infinite more value than Rutgers. I don't understand why the B1G analyzed Rutgers and UConn and thought NYC cares more about Rutgers than UConn. Rutgers is closer to NYC, but they aren't exactly a top 25 football team year in and year out they have played fraudulent schedules to be decent while atleast UConn has a powerhouse basketball team and has been as decent as Rutgers in football has more conference titles than Rutgers while both have been Big East members. The B1G obviously saw something I don't as Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan @UConn/Rutgers would have the same impact in NYC no matter which team was involved, but I don't think UConn will be going anywhere for the foreseeable future, and Clemson/Florida State don't want another basketball first schedule so

I don't see UConn coming onboard without Notre Dame requesting them as the 16th team. When ND comes onboard in 10 years then I think the 16th team will be Cincinnati to give Louisville a historic rival, and this program opens up new cable markets, new recruiting grounds, decent football/basketball, and have an NFL stadium to play Clemson, Florida State, Virginia Tech, and Louisville in. When 16 teams are formed I think we see 4 team pods
North
BC
Pitt
SU
ND

Mid Atlantic
UVA
VPI
Louisville
Cincinnati

Tobacco
UNC
Duke
NC State
Wake

Sunshine
Ga. Tech
Clemson
Florida State
Miami

and scheduling will be 9 conference games you play your pod every year, and you get 1 other pod each year, and 1 team from the other 2 pods each year, and scheduling will be easier to follow.

How many of those people have digital cable vs over the air?

None of them. The ones who do have satellite broadband are counted among those with broadband. The 15% is basically those rural people who are still on dial-up.

I agree about UConn they have infinite more value than Rutgers. I don't understand why the B1G analyzed Rutgers and UConn and thought NYC cares more about Rutgers than UConn. Rutgers is closer to NYC, but they aren't exactly a top 25 football team year in and year out they have played fraudulent schedules to be decent while atleast UConn has a powerhouse basketball team and has been as decent as Rutgers in football has more conference titles than Rutgers while both have been Big East members. The B1G obviously saw something I don't as Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan @UConn/Rutgers would have the same impact in NYC no matter which team was involved, but I don't think UConn will be going anywhere for the foreseeable future, and Clemson/Florida State don't want another basketball first schedule so

I don't see UConn coming onboard without Notre Dame requesting them as the 16th team. When ND comes onboard in 10 years then I think the 16th team will be Cincinnati to give Louisville a historic rival, and this program opens up new cable markets, new recruiting grounds, decent football/basketball, and have an NFL stadium to play Clemson, Florida State, Virginia Tech, and Louisville in. When 16 teams are formed I think we see 4 team pods
North
BC
Pitt
SU
ND

Mid Atlantic
UVA
VPI
Louisville
Cincinnati

Tobacco
UNC
Duke
NC State
Wake

Sunshine
Ga. Tech
Clemson
Florida State
Miami

and scheduling will be 9 conference games you play your pod every year, and you get 1 other pod each year, and 1 team from the other 2 pods each year, and scheduling will be easier to follow.

I agree that pods are the way to go with a 16 team conference. Would make the conference a lot more of a true conference, where everyone plays other schools regularly.

There is one major problem with pods though that no one is talking about. You can't have a conference schedule based on pods and play a championship game for football.

Linkage

This link talks about other problems a conference with 16 teams would face (love who they chose to get the SEC to 16, those bastards). The SEC has been thinking about this for a while. Looks like their solution to all the problems is to to get the rule changed somewhat so you can have 4 divisions, and a final four, and use a 3-2-3 scheduling approach.

There are real issues dealing with the size of a 16 team conference. At that point, you have in effect, 2 conferences that are affiliated with each other. The suggested solution looks like the best way to handle things for football for a 16 team conference. It could well be what the ACC ends up doing down the road as well. Personally, I like that setup better than the current schedule setup for the ACC.

I agree that pods are the way to go with a 16 team conference. Would make the conference a lot more of a true conference, where everyone plays other schools regularly.

There is one major problem with pods though that no one is talking about. You can't have a conference schedule based on pods and play a championship game for football.

Linkage

So "change" the Divisions every year at the time of scheduling. And just insert the pods in their proper place.
"The ACC has announced that THIS YEAR the Atlantic Division will consist of x, Y and z, and the Coastal Division will consist of a, b, and c."

Nothing in that rule says the divisions have to remain the same from year to year.

Linkage

This link talks about other problems a conference with 16 teams would face (love who they chose to get the SEC to 16, those bastards). The SEC has been thinking about this for a while. Looks like their solution to all the problems is to to get the rule changed somewhat so you can have 4 divisions, and a final four, and use a 3-2-3 scheduling approach.

There are real issues dealing with the size of a 16 team conference. At that point, you have in effect, 2 conferences that are affiliated with each other. The suggested solution looks like the best way to handle things for football with such a bloated size for a conference...
I agree, but the NCAA rules can be re-written in my opinion, and if the ACC says North/MidAltantic is a division for 2020 and Sunshine/Tobacco was a division for 2020 then in 2o21 North/Tobacco was a division, and Midaltantic/Sunshine was a division for 2021 that is how the ACC could use the pods and keep them within the division setups.

I agree, but the NCAA rules can be re-written in my opinion, and if the ACC says North/MidAltantic is a division for 2020 and Sunshine/Tobacco was a division for 2020 then in 2o21 North/Tobacco was a division, and Midaltantic/Sunshine was a division for 2021 that is how the ACC could use the pods and keep them within the division setups.
That would work. Kind of crazy to change the divisions every year to get around an NCAA rule, but having divisions where you don't play everyone else in your division introduces even worse problems, as talked about in the second link. Even if the rule was not in effect, I think at minimum, you still need everyone in a division to play each other each season.

If the SEC and B1G go to 16 teams and want the setup you are suggesting, I would assume the NCAA would give it to them. If they didn't, it could well be the impetus for the inevitable split coming between the power conferences and the NCAA.

Personally, I think the setup talked about with the 3-2-3 schedule is more likely. More playoff games=more money, it becomes in effect part of an extended playoffs for the national championshop. Also, I think certain schools are going to want to play other schools each year no matter what. The 3-2-3 allows for that.

Still, if I were the czar of the ACC, I would do what you are suggesting.

That would work. Kind of crazy to change the divisions every year to get around an NCAA rule, but having divisions where you don't play everyone else in your division introduces even worse problems, as talked about in the second link. Even if the rule was not in effect, I think at minimum, you still need everyone in a division to play each other each season.

If the SEC and B1G go to 16 teams and want the setup you are suggesting, I would assume the NCAA would give it to them. If they didn't, it could well be the impetus for the inevitable split coming between the power conferences and the NCAA.

Personally, I think the setup talked about with the 3-2-3 schedule is more likely. More playoff games=more money, it becomes in effect part of an extended playoffs for the national championshop. Also, I think certain schools are going to want to play other schools each year no matter what. The 3-2-3 allows for that.

Still, if I were the czar of the ACC, I would do what you are suggesting.

The years that North/Mid-Atlantic would be a division SU would play BC, Pitt, ND, VPI, UVA, Louisville, Cincinnati, and 1 team from Tobacco, Sunshine. All of the North/Mid-Atlantic teams would play the same schedule except their games against Sunshine/Tobacco.
While Sunshine/Tobacco would be a division and they would do the same thing and the top teams record wise from North/Mid-Atlantic and Sunshine/Tobacco would meet in the ACC championship game.

Then the next year North/Sunshine are a division and all those teams play each other and vice-versa Tobacco/Mid-Atlantic.

The only problem is that divisions would rotate, but honestly I doubt the NCAA cares as each conference could realign their teams if they wanted to each season, and I doubt teams care about division championships its all conference championships or nothing. If the SEC/B1G go to 16 teams and I hope they don't for a while then we could see conference semi finals before conference championships if they petition the NCAA. I could see the Superdome hosting a double-header SEC semi-final round before the championship game in Atlanta, the B1G doing the same at Soldier Field, and I don't want to imagine this unless the SEC/B1G carve up Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, and Kansas to each get to 16. Texas/Oklahoma State to the SEC and Kansas/Oklahoma to the B1G.

I agree about UConn they have infinite more value than Rutgers. I don't understand why the B1G analyzed Rutgers and UConn and thought NYC cares more about Rutgers than UConn.

Its not about who cares about either team or who is better. Its about available TV's in the DMV.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Its not about who cares about either team or who is better. Its about available TV's in the DMV.

Sent using my Commodore 64

The DMV needs more people behind the counters, not more TV's. Those lines are worse than Disney at New Years. ;)

Breaking News: "North Korean leader Kim Jong Bees sends troops to the DMV. Says Hoya fans must pay for their blind loyalty."

;)

North
BC
Pitt
SU
ND

Mid Atlantic
UVA
VPI
Louisville
Cincinnati

Tobacco
UNC
Duke
NC State
Wake

Sunshine
Ga. Tech
Clemson
Florida State
Miami

This would be good. It would allow all the teams to have games against everyone more often than a 14 team league with 2 divisions. And I think that the ACC has been considering Cincinnati and advising Cincinnati on what to do to make themselves more attractive. It would also get the ACC into Ohio, although I think similar to Pennsylvania Ohio State is the school that carries the whole state. Cincinnati is expanding their on campus stadium, and they have access to the Bengal's stadium if they need something larger for some of the games. They have only been averaging 30,000 or so for their home games though. That's on par with Wake Forest. I don't know if that will be a concern or not. It's something for Cincinnati to work on.

This would be good. It would allow all the teams to have games against everyone more often than a 14 team league with 2 divisions. And I think that the ACC has been considering Cincinnati and advising Cincinnati on what to do to make themselves more attractive. It would also get the ACC into Ohio, although I think similar to Pennsylvania Ohio State is the school that carries the whole state. Cincinnati is expanding their on campus stadium, and they have access to the Bengal's stadium if they need something larger for some of the games. They have only been averaging 30,000 or so for their home games though. That's on par with Wake Forest. I don't know if that will be a concern or not. It's something for Cincinnati to work on.

Cincy would deliver a good portion of the Cincy/Dayton area. The ACC would be strong in the Ohio River Valley. They have a Top 20-25 Historic Hoops program (on par with NCSt and UVA IMHO). FSU, Clemson and a few other big games as you say can go to the NFL stadium. Cincy's oncampus stadium is a great small stadium. Cincy is a large research university. It would connect the Dot between VTech and UL and Pitt and UL. Both Cincy and UConn have +/-'s

UConn helps cement NE and helps Cuse and ND in NYC, really helps hoops
Cincy helps tie in the gap betwwen ND/UL and the rest of the league. In a fertile FB recruiting area.

Cincy would deliver a good portion of the Cincy/Dayton area. The ACC would be strong in the Ohio River Valley. They have a Top 20-25 Historic Hoops program (on par with NCSt and UVA IMHO). FSU, Clemson and a few other big games as you say can go to the NFL stadium. Cincy's oncampus stadium is a great small stadium. Cincy is a large research university. It would connect the Dot between VTech and UL and Pitt and UL. Both Cincy and UConn have +/-'s

UConn helps cement NE and helps Cuse and ND in NYC, really helps hoops
Cincy helps tie in the gap betwwen ND/UL and the rest of the league. In a fertile FB recruiting area.

I keep going back and forth on this as well.

Which is why I'm glad it appears a decision doesn't need to be made for quite a while now. Gives both programs time to make a case.

Cheers,
Neil

I keep going back and forth on this as well.

Which is why I'm glad it appears a decision doesn't need to be made for quite a while now. Gives both programs time to make a case.

Cheers,
Neil

What about WVU?

WVU is with The Howell's. The S.S. Minnow will not bet sailable for another dozen years.

They also connect to LVille. Football has been good to excellent over the years. Basketball was good. I have to think they would have been in the discussion when LVille was added. Surely academics wouldn't have been as big of an issue. Okay, the market is less than might be hoped. But they Own their state. Also, WVU seems like one of those programs that isn't really North and isn't really south. Kind of a hybrid. Set of like Maryland only with better football. Just saying if someone were to be thinking about expanding with one more team, I have to think WVU would be at least worthy of discussion. Not sure how the big12-2's GOR would come into play. Timing is everything I guess.

When ND comes onboard in 10 years then I think the 16th team will be Cincinnati to give Louisville a historic rival, and this program opens up new cable markets, new recruiting grounds, decent football/basketball, and have an NFL stadium to play Clemson, Florida State, Virginia Tech, and Louisville in. When 16 teams are formed I think we see 4 team pods
North
BC
Pitt
SU
ND

Mid Atlantic
UVA
VPI
Louisville
Cincinnati

Tobacco
UNC
Duke
NC State
Wake

Sunshine
Ga. Tech
Clemson
Florida State
Miami

If all or most of the B1G teams disappear from the ND schedule, then ND might prefer being in a midwestern pod with Cincinnati, Louisville, and Pitt.

If all or most of the B1G teams disappear from the ND schedule, then ND might prefer being in a midwestern pod with Cincinnati, Louisville, and Pitt.
I think SU fans would be okay with BC, SU, UVA, VPI if ND wanted to be with Cincinnati, Louisville, and Pittsburgh as with the teams in pods they would play more frequently. I think the NC schools and Southern pods are obvious and wouldn't be touched either way.

If the 4 team pods ended up:

ACC North
BC BC
SU SU
UVA Pitt
VPI ND

Midwest/Midaltantic
ND VPI
Pitt UVA
Louisvlle Louisville
Cincinnati Cincinnati

Tobacco
UNC
NCSU
Duke
Wake

Sunshine
Miami
FSU
Clemson
Ga. Tech

im fine with either setup if we have to have pods but if not the best course of action is going to to 9 conference games with 2 permanent rivals from the other division and by the time notre dame joins for football it will likely be 13 game regular season so at that point i'll re-visit

WVU is with The Howell's. The S.S. Minnow will not bet sailable for another dozen years.

I'm all for it. I wanted the ACC to expand with all three of SU, Pitt, and WVU back in 2011, but they didn't.

I think the assumption here is that expansion is only going to happen if ND is #15, and the rest are tied up in GORs.

Personally, I think the Irish are going to remain indy for a while so it's all moot anyway.

Cheers,
Neil

I'm all for it. I wanted the ACC to expand with all three of SU, Pitt, and WVU back in 2011, but they didn't.

I think the assumption here is that expansion is only going to happen if ND is #15, and the rest are tied up in GORs.

Personally, I think the Irish are going to remain indy for a while so it's all moot anyway.

Cheers,
Neil

I agree it's probably wise to stop factoring in ND as a football member. Obviously, if they ever want in, you drop everything and accomodate, but otherwise, the ACC needs to move on and stop letting that affect it's moves (if it has been as suspected).

To me, the idea of pod scheduling as you guys are discussing holds SO much upside for the ACC, that I hope they are at least running the numbers on Cincinnati and UConn. It's hard to imagine them not diluting the payout...but that assumption could be wrong.

Does ESPN have pressure from their headquarters home to make good on UConn? Is UConn basketball (mens and women) worth more than anyone is assuming? Can Cincinnati deliver the entire state of Ohio for the ACC network?

I hope the ACC is at least doing their homework, because pods would be so much better. The more likely, but longer term play, is I think is convincing a pod from the Big 12 to join the ACC.

SEC Network to broadcast 24/7

ESPN.com
Southeastern Conference sports -- including football and basketball -- will have a 24-hour-a-day home when the SEC Network launches in August, 2014.

The SEC and ESPN announced a 20-year agreement and rights extension on Thursday. The deal includes a new television network and digital platform that will show SEC sports 24/7, including more than 1,000 events in the first year.

Included in the programming will be 45 football games, more than 100 men's and more than 60 women's basketball games, 75 baseball games and selected events from the other 17 SEC sports. The network will also feature studio shows and coverage of special events such as signing day and football pro days.

The digital network, which will launch nationally with AT&T U-verse, will show hundreds of additional events. Each SEC school will have the opportunity to produce and develop content for various platforms. The network will be based in ESPN's offices in Charlotte, N.C.

The extension means the SEC will have its games on ESPN's family of networks, plus the SEC Network, through 2034.

"The SEC Network will provide an unparalleled fan experience of top quality SEC content presented across the television network and its accompanying digital platforms," SEC commissioner Mike Slive said in a statement. "We will increase exposure of SEC athletics programs at all 14 member institutions, as we showcase the incredible student-athletes in our league. The agreement for a network streamlines and completes an overall media rights package that will continue the SEC's leadership for the foreseeable future."

"The SEC is unmatched in its success on the field and its popularity with fans nationwide," said ESPN president John Skipper. "The new network's top-quality SEC matchups across a range of sports will serve all sports enthusiasts including the most passionate, die-hard SEC fans. Also, it will serve the needs of our multichannel distributors and advertisers by providing extremely attractive programming options across all platforms."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom