ACC Network Thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO. But use your firestick.

Gaming networks are built for ping. Streaming networks are built for bandwidth. Your home network, and choices, are tied to to your home network choices. Already gave the math,and Apple concerns...

Sling had launch issues.(they all do) Xbox always had bandwidth issues-still do, so the problem was exasperated. Their ping? It's great. I optimized my home fiber network to hit them at 10-12 mseconds, which is unFingreal for gaming. When my son enrolled at Cuse, his ping went to 180, so he stopped online gaming. Cuse network is high latency, hitting a high latency provider. I can't fix the Cuse network. They're OK for 2005. (where 50 millisec per device wasn't a problem)They're just fine for streaming, because bandwidth was their choice...

Gocuse08, The fact that you got PSVue better on your your firestick means they are optimizing a seperate network for streaming. That's a good thing. You want ping for gaming, bandwidth for streaming. Best choice for either, is to not compromise. While I'm very impressed with Microsoft's gaming network, I think it's total shite for streaming. (or downloading) I won't stream through a gaming system. I'm reticent in streaming through any third party, because their entire goal is to get you in their environment for future revenue... Rather enjoy my Roku solutions, until they make a deal.

My larger point, is that you can make streaming work if you hit the math, and you DON'T have to pay for more internet. PM me if you have issues. I do this all day, every day.

But you have to live in an area where you have real internet. :rolleyes:

But you have to live in an area where you have real internet. :rolleyes:
Indeed. If you only stream HD, bare minimum, you need 5megs. (3 Megs + couple Meg's buffer) 3 Megs only kinda sortof works.

If you are still on traditional catv/satellite, and they don't provide the ACCN, streaming may be required.(same goes for any other game not carried)

Kodi can get you anything, but I'm not doing it. You can watch network television from anywhere on armed services streaming providers...They don't ask if you are deployed, or are a service member. Again. I won't do that, either, and screw it up for them.

If your cell service doesn't suck, that could be an option. Last time I spoke with a cell guy, they can only send 50 Meg's in 3 separate directions(150 per tower). May have improved, but they can have bandwidth issues, as well .

Last edited:
Indeed. If you only stream HD, bare minimum, you need 5megs. (3 Megs + couple Meg's buffer) 3 Megs only kinda sortof works.

If you are still on traditional catv/satellite, and they don't provide the ACCN, streaming may be required.(same goes for any other game not carried)

Kodi can get you anything, but I'm not doing it. You can watch network television from anywhere on armed services streaming providers...They don't ask if you are deployed, or are a service member. Again. I won't do that, either, and screw it up for them.

If your cell service doesn't suck, that could be an option. Last time I spoke with a cell guy, they can only send 50 Meg's in 3 separate directions(150 per tower). May have improved, but they can have bandwidth issues, as well .
Does 5g become a real option to internet offering from cable providers?

5G is a long way from real deployment and it requires a ton of infrastruture changes. it may get into the bigger cities but may never get to rural areas for many yrs. I doubt it ever gets out in the country at the cost upgrades it requires.

Does 5g become a real option to internet offering from cable providers?
5G, the wireless, is what I assume you mean. Some wireless routers have that built in-regardless of how you are served. It's fine close to the router, but I find the traditional tends to work better, further away. Depends on your home, though.

We're putting fiber on poles for Verizon wireless to have micro cells. They'll put an antenna every X poles to give greater bandwidth over the same area. Instead of 1 tower, you'll have many micro antennas, providing more bandwidth over the same footprint. Yeah. That takes a while .

One disturbing trend, is that some cable providers are charging for additional use of bandwidth, or to say, Netflix. (There are work arounds) They still want your $$, even if you cut traditional service. Multiple choices, in the future, will be important, in order to keep more of your $$$.

5G is a long way from real deployment and it requires a ton of infrastruture changes. it may get into the bigger cities but may never get to rural areas for many yrs. I doubt it ever gets out in the country at the cost upgrades it requires.
I can tell you that the biggest towns around me are about 20,000. And yes, the cell providers want our fiber for that purpose. Beats me how long it will take, but it looks like larger towns will be included.

they need fiber and then need antannas installed every and everyone will need new phones too.

Charter/Spectrum has one of their 4 corporate campuses in Charlotte. My brother works for Charter and will keep me posted if he hears anything but hasn't so far. I'm a Spectrum customer so hopefully this happens but if not, there are options.

That'll suck for some of those customers.. For those that can, it might be a good opportunity to cut the cord. Definitely investigate, in early August, as to what online providers will be carrying the most college football games, if that's a priority.

Has anyone, who lives far away from Cuse, tried streaming with a Cuse address? I only ask because it may(depending on IT) open up all that content, that's easier to get there .

If they have better IT, you can stream through a proxy in the Cuse area, and should have success. I only stream for football, so my local content would be irrelevant. Plus , I might get more NFL games , that way.

Charter/Spectrum has one of their 4 corporate campuses in Charlotte. My brother works for Charter and will keep me posted if he hears anything but hasn't so far. I'm a Spectrum customer so hopefully this happens but if not, there are options.
Wish our offensive line could have 2 minutes of "discussion-time" with Charter's BOD.

Last edited:
1: my over/under on the amount of Newhouse grads added to the new ACC Network

you taking the under/over or push?

1: my over/under on the amount of Newhouse grads added to the new ACC Network

you taking the under/over or push?

I would think Tom Werme would stay with the ACC. But he wasn't biased enough to SU for everyone so he wasn't that popular on the board. :)

As far as I can tell, he has no education background or experience in the field. At least they didn’t hire the other guy in that video, who looks and talks like he is NASCAR’s biggest fan.

You are correct. The other guy is Marty Smith, ESPN's main NASCAR coverage guy

Status
Not open for further replies.