ACC Network Thread | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s the thing I guess I don’t understand and I’m willing to listen because I really want to cut the cord if it makes sense financially.

I currently have Comcast XFinity Internet/TV bundle. I’m paying right around $140/mo.

High-speed Internet is right around $60/mo. Plus fees. If I went to YouTubeTV, that would be $50/mo. Plus fees. So I’m looking at probably right around $125-130.

Where is my savings? I get 125+ stations with my current TV package and would get 70+ with YouTube.

At this point, the only reason we have cable is for live sports and DVR’ing network TV shows (The Voice, This Is Us, plus my wife’s Bachelorette crap). Filler TV in the past to just have white noise going (Food Network, HGTV) but can take or leave those. Really only care about ESPN & networks.

Now, when my two-year contract is up in May of next year, I will look more closely at this and see what the cable company is willing to do to keep my business. But it’s tough for me to cut when I don’t really envision much savings...

Just really going to be interesting when it is all fragmented even more and you’ll need 4 different steaming solutions (Hulu, YouTube, PlayStation, Sling) to get two or three things you really want from each. Then you’re back to buying cable plus some.

Last edited:
Here’s the thing I guess I don’t understand and I’m willing to listen because I really want to cut the cord if it makes sense financially.

I currently have Comcast XFinity Internet/TV bundle. I’m paying right around $140/mo.

High-speed Internet is right around $60/mo. Plus fees. If I went to YouTubeTV, that would be $50/mo. Plus fees. So I’m looking at probably right around $125-130.

Where is my savings? I get 125+ stations with my current TV package and would get 70+ with YouTube.

Now, when my two-year contract is up in May of next year, I will look more closely at this and see what the cable company is willing to do to keep my business. But it’s tough for me to cut when I don’t really envision much savings...

My reasons for cutting:
(1) How many of those 125 channels do you regularly watch/need? If the streaming service has all channels you watch, who cares if it offers a total 70 or 125?
(2) No 2 year contract BS/No Cancellation fees etc, No annoying cable boxes, No need to ever really deal with the pain in the ass that is the cable company. Can cancel and simply switch streaming services at any time with no fee if you want to try a different service
(3) Cost- Cable/Internet for me was about $210, I'm down to about $130 for Playstation Vue/Internet

My advice: Keep your cable initially while simultaneously using free trials of each of the main streaming services.

Example
5 days Youtube TV, cancel.
5 days PSVue, cancel.
5 days HuluLive, Cancel.
Etc.

At the end of your free trials and after trying each of them out, getting used to the interface, channel line-ups etc, you'll see if you can envision cutting the cord and which streaming service you like best. I picked PSVue and love it, but heard great things about YoutubeTV also.

We’re switching in October. We currently pay 219 for Fios bundle with whole house dvr. It’s too much.

He probably is paying double with cable and still only getting 5 channels he cares about
I pay $29.99 (plus tax) a month for internet. Rent, gas, water, trash, insurance, and electric are extra, but I assure you there’s no doubling up.

I had sling orange + the extra sports add-on for $5, but they’re increasing that add-on price to $10, and they increased sling orange to $25. Ultimately, I can think of better things to do with $35 every month.

I’ve decided that my limit is $15. I’d pay $15 for the ACCN. But I’m on a sweet pair of bunny ears until someone can get me the ACCN for $15 or less (a reason why I’m in this thread), or find enough worthwhile channels to justify an accompanying higher price tag (another reason why I’m on this thread).

Also, as an aside, why would I care about getting channels that I don’t care about?

At this point, the only reason we have cable is for live sports and DVR’ing network TV shows (The Voice, This Is Us, plus my wife’s Bachelorette crap). Filler TV in the past to just have white noise going (Food Network, HGTV) but can take or leave those. Really only care about ESPN & networks.

Just really going to be interesting when it is all fragmented even more and you’ll need 4 different steaming solutions (Hulu, YouTube, PlayStation, Sling) to get two or three things you really want from each. Then you’re back to buying cable plus some.

I went from $200+ with Fios tv/internet. Now I have Fios internet for $42(includes taxes and fees) and playstayion Vue or YoutubeTv for $50 (includes taxes and fees). For a total of $92 per month. Saved my well over $1000 per year.

Let's try to keep this thread about the ACC Network only. There are plenty of cord-cutting threads on numerous forums here. Thanks.

The biggest issue with my area and trying to cut the cable is my internet choices are
Comcast or Centry Link DSL
Sure I could cancel cable and keep just internet BUT Comcast makes you buy the cheapest cable package to be blessed with their internet.
No free market in my area really kills it

My reasons for cutting:
(1) How many of those 125 channels do you regularly watch/need? If the streaming service has all channels you watch, who cares if it offers a total 70 or 125?
(2) No 2 year contract BS/No Cancellation fees etc, No annoying cable boxes, No need to ever really deal with the pain in the ass that is the cable company. Can cancel and simply switch streaming services at any time with no fee if you want to try a different service
(3) Cost- Cable/Internet for me was about $210, I'm down to about $130 for Playstation Vue/Internet

My advice: Keep your cable initially while simultaneously using free trials of each of the main streaming services.

Example
5 days PSVue, cancel.
5 days HuluLive, Cancel.
Etc.

At the end of your free trials and after trying each of them out, getting used to the interface, channel line-ups etc, you'll see if you can envision cutting the cord and which streaming service you like best. I picked PSVue and love it, but heard great things about YoutubeTV also.

This seems exhausting. I don’t have the energy to make all of these changes. I watch a number of channels with Comcast, so not sure this makes sense for me anyway. Il’ll just have to wait patiently for Comcast to add ACCN. I’m just going to miss coverage in the meantime.

So looks like as a Cox area, we will be left out. I guess I will have to pay for a YouTube subscription or find some other streaming method...my son will hook me up with something. Or some nice person will give me their remote sign in password...Nice person?

Surprised. Cox has Fairfax County, VA and other Virginia population centers. Wouldn't be surprised if it comes on board.

My reasons for cutting:

Example
5 days PSVue, cancel.
5 days HuluLive, Cancel.
Etc.

If I was going from $140 to $60, then I'm in every day of the week. I'm going from $140 to $125 and have to figure out which platform I want and what I would have to give up. The 2 year contract thing is overblown, IMO. After two years, you can work a deal that's as good if not better than the one you had. At least in my experience. At least you can when you have multiple providers competing in same market.

If fios is 42 what fios tv package is $160?

Not sure what you are asking? my Fios internet is $42 per month. When I had FIOS TV and Internet I was paying over $200 per month. I had whatever the lowest TV package that still included all of the ESPN and would get me all of the SU games. When you have 4 TV's and have to rent a box for each Tv, plus pay extra for DVR, etc., it adds up quick. Plus the $42 rate I am paying is only good for 2 years then jumps to $50 per month.

This seems exhausting. I don’t have the energy to make all of these changes. I watch a number of channels with Comcast, so not sure this makes sense for me anyway. Il’ll just have to wait patiently for Comcast to add ACCN. I’m just going to miss coverage in the meantime.

Exhausting? If you have a smartTV or Roku or Firestick already, you add the respective streaming app and sign up. It takes 5 minutes and you're in business. And as I mentioned, its free for 5 days (some offer 7). Not really sure how thats exhausting but to each his own I guess.

I only have a network streaming service during football. Last year, Sling @20$ a month. Cable bill about $80 a year.

Netflix, and Amazon(but that's for free shipping) $45 for fiber service. Antenna for network football/news. I'm not going to pay to watch commercials. It's so 1900's. Lol.

My direct tv bill had been about $1K per year. Wasn't about the $$. After Netflix, I hadn't touched it for 3 months.

I would pay the 1k a year to keep what I have now, but I wouldn't spend the $200 yr I do now, to get cable back.

Last edited:
I only have a network streaming service during football. Last year, Sling @20$ a month. Cable bill about $80 a year.

Netflix, and Amazon(but that's for free shipping) $45 for fiber service. Antenna for network football/news. I'm not going to pay to watch commercials. It's so 1900's. Lol.

My direct tv bill had been about $1K per year. Wasn't about the $$. After Netflix, I hadn't touched it for 3 months.

I would pay the 1k a year to keep what I have now, but I wouldn't spend the $200 yr I do now, to get cable back.

So question for you -- if you subscribe to YouTubeTV, can you quit at any time? And pick it back up? If I wanted to subscribe from January through March, jump off for 4 months, then pick back up in September?

Exhausting? If you have a smartTV or Roku or Firestick already, you add the respective streaming app and sign up. It takes 5 minutes and you're in business. And as I mentioned, its free for 5 days (some offer 7). Not really sure how thats exhausting but to each his own I guess.
It’s absolutely exhausting and ridiculous.

How many TVs do you have and how much DVR space?

So question for you -- if you subscribe to YouTubeTV, can you quit at any time? And pick it back up? If I wanted to subscribe from January through March, jump off for 4 months, then pick back up in September?

Yes...you simply go to the app and subscribe or unsubscribe...only 1 month commitment. Couldn't be any easier. You could do all the various free trials from YouTubeTV, Playstation Vue, etc. to see what you like best. I would probably start with YouTUbeTV and if you like it just try it for a full month.

It’s absolutely exhausting and ridiculous.

How many TVs do you have and how much DVR space?

Takes like 5 minutes to subscribe...way easier than subscribing to Spectrum or Fios. Not sure what makes it exhausting or rediculous, or are you being sarcastic?

DVR space is unlimited.

Status
Not open for further replies.