ACC Network? | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network?

W'boro'Cuse315

All American
I only casually follow the talks of conference realignment & the potential creation of an "ACC Network" on these boards but I'm currently a bit confused. I live in the Utica, NY area & have basic TWC with the sports package but I'm curious as to how I'm currently watching the Duke-Wake Forest hoops game on WPNY Channel 12, as I'm am nearly positive that I've never any college sporting event on this channel. There is an "ACC Network" label on the scoreboard in the lower left corner & they've run multiple "ACC Network" promos. I'm hoping that someone can clear this up...thanks in advance.

It is the acc network, it's just not permanent, think SNY... Just like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can shed a little light on this, being in the TV biz.. The "ACC Network" you see now is very similar to the "Big East Network" you see a lot of SU games on (think SU Providence hoops game 2 weeks ago). Where Raycom in the ACC's case or ESPN in the Big East's case sends a crew to a game and broadcasts it.

The broadcasts are bid out to each individual market for air, in fact our CNYCentral stations have the rights to the ACC Network for 2012-2013 so football and hoops games are seen primarily on CW 6 (in Syracuse market) but sometimes surface on our other stations.(Time Warner Cable has the Big East Network games this year for Syracuse and yes, as Antz said, SNY has those rights too for outside Syracuse)

This is much, much different than the ACC Network you see rumored on here, which would be like a Big Ten Network..its own channel that's carried nationally (or regionally) on cable.

You probably knew all that, but, I've been lurking too long without a message :) Go Cuse!

who has acc network rights next year when syracuse and pittsburgh join?

I can shed a little light on this, being in the TV biz.. The "ACC Network" you see now is very similar to the "Big East Network" you see a lot of SU games on (think SU Providence hoops game 2 weeks ago). Where Raycom in the ACC's case or ESPN in the Big East's case sends a crew to a game and broadcasts it.

The broadcasts are bid out to each individual market for air, in fact our CNYCentral stations have the rights to the ACC Network for 2012-2013 so football and hoops games are seen primarily on CW 6 (in Syracuse market) but sometimes surface on our other stations.(Time Warner Cable has the Big East Network games this year for Syracuse and yes, as Antz said, SNY has those rights too for outside Syracuse)

This is much, much different than the ACC Network you see rumored on here, which would be like a Big Ten Network..its own channel that's carried nationally (or regionally) on cable.

You probably knew all that, but, I've been lurking too long without a message :) Go Cuse!

Niko: CW6 really lucked into the ACC rights...I remember they got them just a few days before Cuse/Pitt were announced. I like it as I can get 3-2 (CW6) 85 miles away off my HDTV antenna at my camp.

Hopefully one of NYC's sports stations will pick up Syracuse's ACC games so that many of us away from CNY can pick up the Tier-2 (and possibly Tier-3) games.

Hopefully one of NYC's sports stations will pick up Syracuse's ACC games so that many of us away from CNY can pick up the Tier-2 (and possibly Tier-3) games.
It looks like for next year, there will be a 3 college leagues the NYC sports channels might be interested in for football and basketball content:

1. The league of the Catholic Schools That Left the Big East But Retained Its Name (relevant local teams are St Johns and Seton Hall)

2. The league of Unloved Football Teams (relevant local teams are Rutgers and UConn)

3. The ACC (relevant local team is Syracuse)

The landing spots for these leagues are the YES network, SNY and MSG.

UConn might be able to switch from 2 to 1. Their AD denies they are considering this, and I am not sure it is even an option for them, but MB says it is being discussed and I believe him.

The Unloved Football Teams league will have its value undermined severely when Rutgers leaves for the B1G, presumably in 2014. That will result in a 4th college league NYC sports networks might have interest in. But I don't think the B1G is a player with the NYC sports networks because of the B1G network (according to the SNY wiki anyway).

According to the NY Times, SNY signed a contract with the Big East for 5 years in the summer of 2008 (i.e. it expires after the 2012-13 season). Can't find any indication it has been extended (why would SNY do this given their situation?), so I assume they are available. They could go after the Catholic League, the Unloved Football League or the ACC.

They have close ties to UConn and Rutgers, so the natural thing to do is go with the Unloved Football League. But RU will leave after a year, so unless they are amenable to a 1 year contract, we are really talking about following UConn and a bunch of CUSA rejects. Bad football, bad basketball, almost no local presence...this is almost akin to signing a contract with the Ivy League. Not very desirable.

Another option is the Catholic League. St Johns and Seton Hall provide a strong local presence but neither program has been nationally prominent for a long time. I suspect the ratings would not be great. But for basketball, it would still be a strong league with a lot of teams NYC basketball fans are interested in (like Nova and Georgetown).

But there is no football, which leaves a big void from September to early December. This is a big problem which really hurts the overall value of this league.

The other option is the ACC. The ACC brings high level football, it is by far the best football option. The basketball is also high level. There would be a strong Eastern flavor with BC, SU and Pitt on board, and UNC and Duke are right there with Syracuse as the most popular college basketball programs in NYC.

I would think SNY ends up with the ACC.

I think that it makes a lot of sense for MSG to take the Catholic School league, since their tournament will presumably continue to be held their and one of the teams in the league plays regularly there (St Johns).

That leaves the YES network, which might become the home of RU athletics, replacing SNY. Maybe it takes some B1G games, working in conjunction with its sister B1G network. Maybe it takes the league of Unloved Football Programs as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I am hoping SNY ends up with the ACC. I think they have done a fine job covering the Big East and it would be great to have that same level of coverage for the ACC.

The Unloved Football Teams league will have its value undermined severely when Rutgers leaves for the B1G, presumably in 2014. That will result in a 4th college league NYC sports networks might have interest in. But I don't think the B1G is a player with the NYC sports networks because of the B1G network (according to the SNY wiki anyway).

I thought the Big Ten is going to pound Rutgers/Big Ten Network into NYC by tying them to the YES Network. Fox owns stakes in both YES and the Big Ten. If you want to see the Yankees you also get Rutgers. Am I wrong about that?

I thought the Big Ten is going to pound Rutgers/Big Ten Network into NYC by tying them to the YES Network. Fox owns stakes in both YES and the Big Ten. If you want to see the Yankees you also get Rutgers. Am I wrong about that?
I think that is correct and it will drive whatever penetration the B1G gets in NYC.

What I am saying it that, at least according to the SNY wiki, the presence of the B1G network means that there is no content for a third party sports network, like SNY, YES or MSG to provide. So I don't think the B1G is a player with the ability to provide content for the NYC based sports channels.

When I looked at this stuff during the football season there was already another local NYC station that carried ACC Network games. It's unclear how long their agreement runs for. I suggested at the time that one of NYC's sports stations may attempt to buy them out.

I think that is correct and it will drive whatever penetration the B1G gets in NYC.

What I am saying it that, at least according to the SNY wiki, the presence of the B1G network means that there is no content for a third party sports network, like SNY, YES or MSG to provide. So I don't think the B1G is a player with the ability to provide content for the NYC based sports channels.

Tom, is it possible that in spite of Fox efforts the YESN and the Yankees in particular will fight against being forced to align/bundle with the BTN? Or does it even matter? I'm not sure the Yankees organization wants anything to do with Rutgers in particular or a midwestern college conference in general.

When I looked at this stuff during the football season there was already another local NYC station that carried ACC Network games. It's unclear how long their agreement runs for. I suggested at the time that one of NYC's sports stations may attempt to buy them out.

Could WPIX or similar NYC Superstation be a player too? All things considered I probably preferred YES with DM, The Cuse Signage at YS, Most popular baseball team...but the B1G and DM leaving ruined that. SNY appears to be best to takeover. The good news we would get to watch the UConn woman and their beta male fans in the winter on SNY. :eek:

The Yankees will never align with anything like the Big 10, they are worth more then any franchise anywhere, they can move their games to area channel they want. Plus baseball would probably get involved, if the Big 10 tried to force anything like that, and their still are more baseball fans then Big 10 fans.

The Yankees will never align with anything like the Big 10, they are worth more then any franchise anywhere, they can move their games to area channel they want. Plus baseball would probably get involved, if the Big 10 tried to force anything like that, and their still are more baseball fans then Big 10 fans.

That's my layman's thought, too. I was asking my above question because there is much speculation that Fox will try to bundle YES with the BTN and force cable/satellite basic carriage and rate increase. However, I am no TV guru so I asked.

Tom, is it possible that in spite of Fox efforts the YESN and the Yankees in particular will fight against being forced to align/bundle with the BTN? Or does it even matter? I'm not sure the Yankees organization wants anything to do with Rutgers in particular or a midwestern college conference in general.
Fox which owns a major stake in the BTN just last month purchased a 49% stake in YES with the option to increase that stake to 80% in 3 years. So they are going to be in control. Fox is going to tell the NYC area cable companies (TWC, Cablevision) if you want YES and the NY Yankees games you have to also take the BTN. And they will.

Fox which owns a major stake in the BTN just last month purchased a 49% stake in YES with the option to increase that stake to 80% in 3 years. So they are going to be in control. Fox is going to tell the NYC area cable companies (TWC, Cablevision) if you want YES and the NY Yankees games you have to also take the BTN. And they will.
I agree. Surprised the Yankees sold YES. I think it was a bad move for them, a great move for Fox.

I agree. Surprised the Yankees sold YES. I think it was a bad move for them, a great move for Fox.
I think George must be turning in his grave . He would not be happy with is son Hal. He started YES because he didn't want to be under the thumb of the big media networks in determining rights fees for Yankee games.