ACC now allowing intra-conference transfers | Syracusefan.com

ACC now allowing intra-conference transfers

Saw this earlier today. This is a game changer for Lax and could have major repercussions both good and bad.
Who do you think it benefits the most?

I'd like to think Syracuse because guys might want to transfer to be closer to home in the northeast.

I'd like to think Syracuse because guys might want to transfer to be closer to home in the northeast.

Interesting. SU did well drawing ACC transfers before they joined the conference (Joe Yevoli, Nathan Kenney, Nicky Galasso). But I think that was because they couldn't transfer within the conference. I think SU has a much different profile than the other ACC schools, so it might help, but it might hurt. When a recruit comes out and they say they are interesting in ACC Schools, I still think it means Duke/UNC/UVA. But if they didn't like that sort of environment, maybe Syracuse is viewed as a good change of pace? Probably depends a lot on the student athlete.

If a kid can't get on the field at Syracuse, would he see the field at Duke/UNC/UVA/ND?

See David Lipka? I know he got playing time at SU, but he's the only ACC transfer in the last few years and he left 'Cuse. I agree, in most cases no, but kids transfer for different reasons, sometimes its not about playing time. I think if its an academic issue, SU would benefit.

See David Lipka? I know he got playing time at SU, but he's the only ACC transfer in the last few years and he left 'Cuse. I agree, in most cases no, but kids transfer for different reasons, sometimes its not about playing time. I think if its an academic issue, SU would benefit.

Didn't Lipka graduate and want a Masters from a different school?

Has Duke, Virginia or Notre Dame had kids transfer out because they couldn’t cut it academically?

Didn't Lipka graduate and want a Masters from a different school?

Yes, but he still transfered from one ACC school to another. My understanding was it was a little unexpected that he left, and he entered his name into the portal later than most.

Tough question, for a sport like fball its a slam dunk win for Lax I don't think the answer is as clear. As Powellfan pointed out with a guy like Lipka he was a grad transfer and the rules didn't apply but could SU see a situation like Bowen at UNC where a player graduates early and goes to grad school at Duke or UVA, certainly possible. I think this overall helps SU because UNC, Duke and to a lesser extent UVA really recruit the Island hard and now if guys get homesick or just want a fresh start ala Galasso (doesn't get enough credit for how good he was his Sr year here) SU is a very logical place to go.

Yes
I believe Lipka was able to "transfer" because he had finished his undergrad and was technically a "free agent" as part of the covid extension. So he was not really a transfer - correct?

I believe Lipka was able to "transfer" because he had finished his undergrad and was technically a "free agent" as part of the covid extension. So he was not really a transfer - correct?

He was a grad transfer yes

As if I needed more of a reason to not like Duke, UVA, and NC (for some reason i don’t harbor any dislike for Notre Dame). If someone leaves Cuse for one of those three and plays well.. I’ll never root for them against anyone.
I used to love rooting for Maryland (against anyone but Cuse) but the whole Maltz family situation coupled with Wisnaukas (not to say I fault his reported reasoning, just hard to think what could have been) , I now always root against Maryland.
This is the only fair way to do it for these kids though. Most of them aren’t getting scholarships and even if they are, they should have the right to attend any university that will accept them just like any other student.
I do hope this is more of a rare occurrence than a regular offseason storyline in the ACC.

If a kid can't get on the field at Syracuse, would he see the field at Duke/UNC/UVA/ND?
In addition to what Powellfan said, it could depend on who's in front of him in the pecking order and his skill set. It could be that the player just doesn't fit the current scheme as well as the others do but would fit in well with another school's scheme.

As if I needed more of a reason to not like Duke, UVA, and NC (for some reason i don’t harbor any dislike for Notre Dame). If someone leaves Cuse for one of those three and plays well.. I’ll never root for them against anyone.
I used to love rooting for Maryland (against anyone but Cuse) but the whole Maltz family situation coupled with Wisnaukas (not to say I fault his reported reasoning, just hard to think what could have been) , I now always root against Maryland.
This is the only fair way to do it for these kids though. Most of them aren’t getting scholarships and even if they are, they should have the right to attend any university that will accept them just like any other student.
I do hope this is more of a rare occurrence than a regular offseason storyline in the ACC.
Remember the reserve clause in baseball? Indentured servitude until players revolted. Pampered university athletes are by no means slaves except to tradition and cultural expectations. I can imagine an open system where colleges compete to draft all athletes every year. Consider a Michigan football freshmen who plays his first year at UM. What's to prevent every coach in America from approaching him by offering a better deal: more publicity leading to more ad money, more scholarship money, better housing, etc. at any point after he matriculates at UM. One obstacle, the NCAA. They caved on ad money. They'll cave someday on other restraints. Universities will demand contracts with their recruits that prevent transfers. Okay, great. The families can negotiate with the college. What ties a kid to a college. Many variables. Academics, location, culture, etc. Just like any job, a student should be free to move at any point in his college career. He owes the university nothing but tuition, room and board for as long as he is there. Alabama comes knocking for this kid in October of his freshman year. If he wants to, he should be allowed to.

Personally, I will hate this when it occurs, but like you I understand it is the right thing. When I was a little kid, Mickey Mantle showed up on a baseball card. On the Yankees no less. I watched him the first time he ever went to bat and fell in love. Bobby Orr joined the Bruins in the 60's. I fell in love again. If these guys had decided to leave their teams, it would have ripped my heart out. Through these two I joined the Yankees and Bruins. Lived and died. Then they both succumbed to serious knee injuries. I lost interest in both teams. Fan loyalty depends to an extent on some connection to individual players. I have lost all interest in pro sports partially because of free agency. But that's life. And so it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom