College Student Football League | Syracusefan.com

College Student Football League

Chancellor Syverud is one of the supportive ambassadors so I would hope so.

This feels like the title of this thread all over again. There is no incentive for the B18 and SEC to give up control. If anything they will grab 12-24 more teams and become the NFC/AFC of college football.

Chancellor Syverud is one of the supportive ambassadors so I would hope so.
West Virginia president and AD's at UNC, Tenn and Texas Tech on board too. I was told by someone who would know that there are a lot more schools privately on board with this. Interesting that the Haslam's are supportive. They have a lot of cash to throw into this. And explains why Tenn is supportive -- Jimmy's brother used to be the governor of tenn.

I don't even know where I am.
john travolta GIF

West Virginia president and AD's at UNC, Tenn and Texas Tech on board too. I was told by someone who would know that there are a lot more schools privately on board with this. Interesting that the Haslam's are supportive. They have a lot of cash to throw into this. And explains why Tenn is supportive -- Jimmy's brother used to be the governor of tenn.

Notice which schools/conferences have very little representation.

No way that happens. First, 72 is too many teams. Also, way too many lost yealry games. And from our standpoint Cincy = Yuck. Good luck explaining having ND in the East and Ohio State in the Midwest to Ohio State and having them onboard with this. We are including Navy but not Army? Wake makes the cut? Duke? And LSU lol how the accepting that?

TV is going to want more intersectional games. Which is why 4 or 5 team divisions works a lot better. You also do not put weird teams together which might make sense geographically, they do not traditionally.

If you have 5 teams per division you can keep the Eastern OG B1G together, the Western OG B1G, the OG PAC B1G, the Eastern Indy OG B1G, the Eastern OG SEC, the Western OG SEC, the B12 OG SEC, etc.

Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue
Wisconsin, Iowa, Minny, Illinois, Northwestern
Washington, Oregon, USC, UCLA, plus one
Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, plus two
Nebraska, plus 4
Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Vandy, Kentucky
Bama, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State
Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mizzou
South Carolina, plus four
Notre Dame, plus 4
5 current ACC teams
5 current B12 teams

That gets you to 60 teams. You keep 5 yearly rivals. Leaves room for cross over rivals. Leaves room for intersectional games. For the playoffs you can have the 12 division winners and 8 wild cards, so it keeps every region engaged.

The thing is, the B1G and SEC can achieve that on their own and keep total control.

No way that happens. First, 72 is too many teams. Also, way too many lost yealry games. And from our standpoint Cincy = Yuck. Good luck explaining having ND in the East and Ohio State in the Midwest to Ohio State and having them onboard with this. We are including Navy but not Army? Wake makes the cut? Duke? And LSU lol how the accepting that?

TV is going to want more intersectional games. Which is why 4 or 5 team divisions works a lot better. You also do not put weird teams together which might make sense geographically, they do not traditionally.

If you have 5 teams per division you can keep the Eastern OG B1G together, the Western OG B1G, the OG PAC B1G, the Eastern Indy OG B1G, the Eastern OG SEC, the Western OG SEC, the B12 OG SEC, etc.

Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue
Wisconsin, Iowa, Minny, Illinois, Northwestern
Washington, Oregon, USC, UCLA, plus one
Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, plus two
Nebraska, plus 4
Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Vandy, Kentucky
Bama, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State
Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mizzou
South Carolina, plus four
Notre Dame, plus 4
5 current ACC teams
5 current B12 teams

That gets you to 60 teams. You keep 5 yearly rivals. Leaves room for cross over rivals. Leaves room for intersectional games. For the playoffs you can have the 12 division winners and 8 wild cards, so it keeps every region engaged.

The thing is, the B1G and SEC can achieve that on their own and keep total control.
There are more than 60 teams that want to spend the money to invest in big time football. That will be the key -- who is willing to fund it at a high level and pay the players. Just relying on donors to do it off the books is going to be harder moving forward, though, I'm sure the SEC would be fine with that. But becoming a real business changes the calculus.

I still don't see how the SEC and Big 10 on their own garner the eyeballs they need long-term to keep making gobs of money unless they keep football a national sport. There's a reason the NFL isn't just played in part of the country. Now they may try to have it both ways, like they do now, and I agree they have no incentive to change that. So it's going to take some real leadership to do what's right for the whole sport.

To be successful, this type of league needs to explain to the SEC folks why they stand to make more money in the long-term by keeping college football a national play. I'm sure uneven revenue sharing has to be part of the calculus or just have it based on wins/losses...

There are more than 60 teams that want to spend the money to invest in big time football. That will be the key -- who is willing to fund it at a high level and pay the players. Just relying on donors to do it off the books is going to be harder moving forward, though, I'm sure the SEC would be fine with that. But becoming a real business changes the calculus.

I still don't see how the SEC and Big 10 on their own garner the eyeballs they need long-term to keep making gobs of money unless they keep football a national sport. There's a reason the NFL isn't just played in part of the country. Now they may try to have it both ways, like they do now, and I agree they have no incentive to change that. So it's going to take some real leadership to do what's right for the whole sport.

To be successful, this type of league needs to explain to the SEC folks why they stand to make more money in the long-term by keeping college football a national play. I'm sure uneven revenue sharing has to be part of the calculus or just have it based on wins/losses...

60 teams is more than enough. Teams 61-72 aren't worth keeping around and they don't have any influence. Since every market is covered, those schools do not add to the league. Who cares if an SMU wants a seat. There is no reason to include them. And the TV contract divided by 60 is a lot better than 72.

If the B1G and SEC both expanded to 30, they can pull it off and shut out the rest of FBS via scheduling agreements, conference playoffs, opting out of the FBS playoff (like the Ivy League in FCS), and having a Bowl every year with the B1G Champ vs the SEC Champ. The structure is in place to pull it off within the current NCAA framework. At 30 teams each, they will both be National and not Regional.

It is too late to pull off what is being proposed. The time for that was in 1990, maybe 2010. The B1G is already at 18 teams in all sports. They aren't going down in BBall. So it makes more sense to grow at this point. Same for the SEC.

I don't see how any of this is better than bowls and geographical conferences. Playoffs were a trojan horse.

Today’s online WSJ has a proposal to structurally reorganize “college” football into 12 six team divisions. SU is included.
Syracuse is put into the "Mideast" division with Penn St., Pitt, WVa, Rutgers(!) and Cincinnati(?)
The "East" division is B.C., Notre Dame, Maryland, Navy, Virginia, Virginia Tech.
The "Carolinas" division is Clemson, Duke, NC, NC St, WF, S.C.
Miami, FSU & Ga Tech are in the "Southeast" division with Florida, Georgia, UCF.
Louisville in the "Midsouth" division with Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Tenn, Vandy
Stanford & Cal in the "Southwest" division with Arizona, Ariz St, UCLA, USC
SMU in the "Texas" division with Baylor, TCU, Texas, Tex A&M, Texas Tech

I think someone else could do a better job organizing the divisions.

Noticably missing are Army, South Florida & UCONN

Today’s online WSJ has a proposal to structurally reorganize “college” football into 12 six team divisions. SU is included.
I think top level college football eventually will evolve to NFC/AFC structure, most likely 8 divisions, each division consists of eight teams. We need to be in top 64 consistently in the next few years. I also hope college football leagues will be independent of Olympics/basketball leagues. Only football players get to be paid like pro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom