ACC Preseason Awards | Syracusefan.com

ACC Preseason Awards

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

FKhdr-yX0AELh3_

Seems … off
Looks fine to me. You could make a case for the notre dame mid Jackoboice replacing one of the three. UNC has a good LSM in Matt Wright who could probably replace Kennedy since our D overall has been so lacking. Attack, goalie, ssdm, and fogo are pretty much impossible to argue with IMO. With Bowen at UNC gone, I would say D is hard to argue with too, although I don't fully get the obsession with Cohen.

It's voted on by five ACC coaches who see these players on the field and on tape and prepare to face. . Attack in ACC is a loaded position.

Cuse will be playing two of their top talents, Dordevic and Kennedy, out of their natural positions. While done to fill needs it does not optimize their skillsets and impact. Dordevic could float as a positionless hybrid, not sure if Hiltz being out changes that

Looks fine to me. You could make a case for the notre dame mid Jackoboice replacing one of the three. UNC has a good LSM in Matt Wright who could probably replace Kennedy since our D overall has been so lacking. Attack, goalie, ssdm, and fogo are pretty much impossible to argue with IMO. With Bowen at UNC gone, I would say D is hard to argue with too, although I don't fully get the obsession with Cohen.
It was the Dordevic and Kennedy selections that I was referring to. If they were actually playing the positions they were selected at, no qualms. But Dordevic has confirmed he’s playing attack. And many on here are convinced Kennedy is playing close. So that’s what seemed off to me.

It was the Dordevic and Kennedy selections that I was referring to. If they were actually playing the positions they were selected at, no qualms. But Dordevic has confirmed he’s playing attack. And many on here are convinced Kennedy is playing close. So that’s what seemed off to me.

Until he actually plays attack in games people are going to think of him as a midfielder, and even once the games do start I would not be surprised if Dordevic still receives votes as a midfielder even as he's playing attack. In fact, I'd expect it. Old habits die hard.

There are a lot of other names who could challenge for spots on the team. The 2021 Post Season list looked different from the Preseason list. Some that come to mind for me are mostly related to the offense -

Matt Moore (UVA) - maybe the most underrated player of current memory. Shellenberger really eclipsed him with his tournament performance.

Peyton Cormier (UVA) - again, very surprised he hasn't been mentioned on any lists this preseason. 45 goals and 8 assists is pretty good, good for third on the team in scoring.

Brennan O'Neil (Duke) - Obviously the attack line for the ACC is insane, have to imagine he will be a mainstay as Junior and Senior. He was actually named to the 2021 team but they listed 6 attackmen, which I really don't like. Make a tough decision people!

Owen Hiltz (SU) - The injury puts a damper on things but he's still a top talent. Gets overshadowed by O'Neil but I think their PPG were pretty close last year.

Griffin Shutz (UVA) - pains me to include yet another UVA player but as the top recruit in the country, and the fact that he looks as big as a tree leads me to beleive he will put up numbers this year.

Lance Tillman (UNC) - I wouldn't be surprised if he starts at attack for UNC and puts up serious points. A team USA member his dodging will compliment.

Random UNC midfielder - Seeing that they have to replace almost everyone from their midfield, one has to imagine that UNC will have a young player who has a breakout season. They have a lot of very highly ranked midfielders in their class.

Eric Dobson (ND) - A big midfielder who can really shoot but needs to work on accuracy.

Are there other names people can think of?

There are a lot of other names who could challenge for spots on the team. The 2021 Post Season list looked different from the Preseason list. Some that come to mind for me are mostly related to the offense -

Matt Moore (UVA) - maybe the most underrated player of current memory. Shellenberger really eclipsed him with his tournament performance.

Peyton Cormier (UVA) - again, very surprised he hasn't been mentioned on any lists this preseason. 45 goals and 8 assists is pretty good, good for third on the team in scoring.

Brennan O'Neil (Duke) - Obviously the attack line for the ACC is insane, have to imagine he will be a mainstay as Junior and Senior. He was actually named to the 2021 team but they listed 6 attackmen, which I really don't like. Make a tough decision people!

Owen Hiltz (SU) - The injury puts a damper on things but he's still a top talent. Gets overshadowed by O'Neil but I think their PPG were pretty close last year.

Griffin Shutz (UVA) - pains me to include yet another UVA player but as the top recruit in the country, and the fact that he looks as big as a tree leads me to beleive he will put up numbers this year.

Lance Tillman (UNC) - I wouldn't be surprised if he starts at attack for UNC and puts up serious points. A team USA member his dodging will compliment.

Random UNC midfielder - Seeing that they have to replace almost everyone from their midfield, one has to imagine that UNC will have a young player who has a breakout season. They have a lot of very highly ranked midfielders in their class.

Eric Dobson (ND) - A big midfielder who can really shoot but needs to work on accuracy.

Are there other names people can think of?
you may not have said jackoboice bc he was mentioned earlier. also boyer @ nd lsm from ytown. he's a bulldog and was a 2 and 1 guy last year.

duke dyson williams if they give him the ball a bit more. he should be playing a larger role. then there's lulley who's sliding into sowers' spot. naso might break out.

uva has to find an alpha at the midfield and i'm not sure it'll be a freshman. with maybe 4 guys slotted for 1mid time i can see garno on the receiving end of 35 goals and conner maybe playing a conrad role. garno's a great stretch shooter and conner came on late last year. depends how it shakes out. wayer was the best pole in the IAC in hs, and he's probably ready to be poor man's conners (tho only may get 50% reps vs conners 75%).

cormier if the hoos make a run i'll be surprised if he doesn't get 55+ goals with the attention and feeding ability from the other 2. but is odd man out.

if drago's in there, just random but he might start building a resume imo.

voting on all-acc used to be just acc games. and maybe still is.

Kennedy is definitely playing close this year.

Re: Kennedy, a big question for me is how much the new staff lets the D guys run and spark transition. If it were up to Gait they'd probably do that a lot. But Petro's defensemen historically do not do much transition. Interesting dynamic there...is transition primarily the responsibility of the offensive or defensive coach? Asking that genuinely. With the understanding that it probably depends on the staff.

Re: Kennedy, a big question for me is how much the new staff lets the D guys run and spark transition. If it were up to Gait they'd probably do that a lot. But Petro's defensemen historically do not do much transition. Interesting dynamic there...is transition primarily the responsibility of the offensive or defensive coach? Asking that genuinely. With the understanding that it probably depends on the staff.
Someone will have to adapt. Probably should be the assistant coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom