11-Duke
12-Syracuse
13-Pitt
14-Boston College (1)
15-Wake Forest
16-Virginia
.17-Stanford

*Who voted for BC at 1?????

If there were a betting line, I'd be all over it.

Among this group, I see us around 6th, TBH. We might surprise, but I think that's about where we are.

Surprised by all 3 of the new teams being where they are. For SMU it is a jump in quality and physicality from where they were yet they will be 7th? For all three it is a difference in style vs where they were. For Cal and Stanford, they will have added travel which wears you down.

I wouldn't want Cal's schedule. They have to travel across the country to play Auburn, then a trap game vs San Diego State before traveling all the way back across the country to play FSU. They get a week break but then have Miami. Then back East to play Pitt, and home for NC State. Not sure what Oregon State will be like this year but that ain't easy for the next game. Then they get a bye before going to Wake. By the time they host SU, not sure what they have left in the tank. And after SU they have rivals Stanford and then a trip to Dallas for SMU. If they end up 12th it will be an accomplishment.

Stanford stunk last year but I thought their coach showed promise. I don't think they will be the worst ACC team quality wise. But again look at that schedule. Only 6 home games. OOC vs TCU and at Notre Dame. With all that travel having a week 3 bye is a killer, and then week 11 for the 2nd bye. They follow the first bye with 2 trips in a row East to play SU and Clemson, get VA Tech at home, and then to South Bend. Just not fair.

SMU has a hard OOC schedule playing at Nevada (although they stunk last year), BYU, and TCU. That being said they have an easy ACC schedule after the first two games (FSU, at Louisville). None of those other teams are all that great. BTW how is it possible for the ACC to schedule 3 conference road games in a row? That could be a factor that helps Pitt and BC who are physical teams. SMU might be spent by then.

Surprised by all 3 of the new teams being where they are. For SMU it is a jump in quality and physicality from where they were yet they will be 7th? For all three it is a difference in style vs where they were. For Cal and Stanford, they will have added travel which wears you down.

I wouldn't want Cal's schedule. They have to travel across the country to play Auburn, then a trap game vs San Diego State before traveling all the way back across the country to play FSU. They get a week break but then have Miami. Then back East to play Pitt, and home for NC State. Not sure what Oregon State will be like this year but that ain't easy for the next game. Then they get a bye before going to Wake. By the time they host SU, not sure what they have left in the tank. And after SU they have rivals Stanford and then a trip to Dallas for SMU. If they end up 12th it will be an accomplishment.

Stanford stunk last year but I thought their coach showed promise. I don't think they will be the worst ACC team quality wise. But again look at that schedule. Only 6 home games. OOC vs TCU and at Notre Dame. With all that travel having a week 3 bye is a killer, and then week 11 for the 2nd bye. They follow the first bye with 2 trips in a row East to play SU and Clemson, get VA Tech at home, and then to South Bend. Just not fair.

SMU has a hard OOC schedule playing at Nevada (although they stunk last year), BYU, and TCU. That being said they have an easy ACC schedule after the first two games (FSU, at Louisville). None of those other teams are all that great. BTW how is it possible for the ACC to schedule 3 conference road games in a row? That could be a factor that helps Pitt and BC who are physical teams. SMU might be spent by then.

Really good analysis! Thanks!

ACC preseason media poll

1-FSU (81 1st place votes)
2-Clemson (55)
3-Miami (17)
4-NC State (8)
5-Louisville
6-Virginia Tech (5)
7-SMU
8-UNC
9-Georgia Tech (1)
10-Cal (2)
11-Duke
12-Syracuse
13-Pitt
14-Boston College (1)
15-Wake Forest
16-Virginia
.17-Stanford

Dan Shaughnessy

Joke. BC with a 1st place vote and Cal with 2? We should have been ahead of Duke and Cal at least, though I think Cal is pretty solid
When you have a top RB and a veteran HC, you can win some games. But Cal does not have close to enough anything to win the ACC.

BC? Either a total joke vote or else crazy faith in Bill O'Brien.

Sean Lewis is zeroing in on that Cal game as a statement for SDSU. Should be a fun season out here.

Isn't SMU getting a lot of preseason Top 25 rankings? They return a lot from an AASC championship, but they are stepping up in strength of schedule.

SMU did get good transfer portal depth on the LOS. If those guys all work into the 2 deep, SMU should have enough age across the LOS to hang with people.

ACC preseason media poll

1-FSU (81 1st place votes)
2-Clemson (55)
3-Miami (17)
4-NC State (8)
5-Louisville
6-Virginia Tech (5)
7-SMU
8-UNC
9-Georgia Tech (1)
10-Cal (2)
11-Duke
12-Syracuse
13-Pitt
14-Boston College (1)
15-Wake Forest
16-Virginia
.17-Stanford

5 for VT is pretty far out there, especially if Louisville got 0. 1 for GT is nuts too. Other than beating Mack Brown, what has GT shown it can do? Miracle W over Miami was all about Miami being stupid.

5 for VT is pretty far out there, especially if Louisville got 0. 1 for GT is nuts too. Other than beating Mack Brown, what has GT shown it can do? Miracle W over Miami was all about Miami being stupid.
We had that option offense last year down there with no passing game and were only down 22-24 late until they got a touchdown to seal it. I like our chances in the Dome with our revamped team.

Delete Just As I Thought GIF by Robert E Blackmon

When you have a top RB and a veteran HC, you can win some games. But Cal does not have close to enough anything to win the ACC.

BC? Either a total joke vote or else crazy faith in Bill O'Brien.
Dan Shaugnessy must have voted for BC at #1

No clue on Cal

GaTech probably one of the national homers who have been hyping them hardcore preseason. Tech could start off 3-0, or 0-3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom