ACC preseason media poll---Syracuse is 12th | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC preseason media poll---Syracuse is 12th

I love this. love playing the underdog

True and later we'll also see how well the staff does when SU is winning 10+ games a year and keeping the players focus after SUccess.

Almost every year we've thought we're underrated. Most years, we've been wrong, myself included. I think we'll do better than 12th but we'll see.

Ehh this is a nothing burger. Why would anyone give us love given last twenty plus years? I have zero issues with staff and team earning respect on the field. Once Fran and team impose their will and get those dubs, we will get some chatter. Until then, head down, horns out and bull forward.

This is the same ACC Media that didn't bother showing up and asking SU questions at the ACC Kickoff. It might as well have been a Dan Tortoro interview with how many questions he asked versus the rest of the media.

The more structured scheduled interviews were great, but the Q&A was a big nothing burger.

It doesn’t surprise me at all that they have us at 12th. Heck, I‘m surprised they have us that high given how the talking heads and other ACC school fans talk about us. 1/2 don’t even think we should be in the ACC as we are dead weight apparently.

It just blows my mind that keeping all our best guys and getting the best transfers we ever had on both sides of the ball, and pulling some monster recruits late, we're projecting... 12th.

Come The Rock GIF by WWE

B R I N G I T

None of this is official. I think our schedule is tougher than a lot of people give it credit for. But we've upgraded at almost every position on a team that was pretty good last year before injuries killed us. The ACC is a strong conference this year and possibly 13-15 teams deep.

It doesn’t matter
Not even a little.

Given the history of mostly poor performance in the ACC, no one should be surprised by the media's perception. SU has made their own bed. The only way to change perception is to change the reality on the field. Nothing else matters...not even a little.

We need a Fran Brown version of this very early on this year.

Preferably after NC State to push us to 6-0
I bet we never get a Fran version of this until we win the whole thing

Fran will never overemphasize one small (but important) achievement when he know the greater goal requires more focus and a likely INCREASED level of play even from which generated the big win.

Fran will not let the team lose sight of the big picture.

He often talks about handling stress, not just negative stress but also positive generated stress

‘Hey Fran you just knocked off top ranked (Miami/NCST/xxx), how are you feeling.’

-Fran ‘I feel great for the guys, this is a result of their hard work, we could have done better, missed a few things, we’ll get better. But if we stay detailed, accountable, relentless and tough, we will have more good things happen on our way to the ultimate goal these guys are working their butts off for and are committed to.

Surprised by all 3 of the new teams being where they are. For SMU it is a jump in quality and physicality from where they were yet they will be 7th? For all three it is a difference in style vs where they were. For Cal and Stanford, they will have added travel which wears you down.

I wouldn't want Cal's schedule. They have to travel across the country to play Auburn, then a trap game vs San Diego State before traveling all the way back across the country to play FSU. They get a week break but then have Miami. Then back East to play Pitt, and home for NC State. Not sure what Oregon State will be like this year but that ain't easy for the next game. Then they get a bye before going to Wake. By the time they host SU, not sure what they have left in the tank. And after SU they have rivals Stanford and then a trip to Dallas for SMU. If they end up 12th it will be an accomplishment.

Stanford stunk last year but I thought their coach showed promise. I don't think they will be the worst ACC team quality wise. But again look at that schedule. Only 6 home games. OOC vs TCU and at Notre Dame. With all that travel having a week 3 bye is a killer, and then week 11 for the 2nd bye. They follow the first bye with 2 trips in a row East to play SU and Clemson, get VA Tech at home, and then to South Bend. Just not fair.

SMU has a hard OOC schedule playing at Nevada (although they stunk last year), BYU, and TCU. That being said they have an easy ACC schedule after the first two games (FSU, at Louisville). None of those other teams are all that great. BTW how is it possible for the ACC to schedule 3 conference road games in a row? That could be a factor that helps Pitt and BC who are physical teams. SMU might be spent by then.
FYI, SMU-TCU is the big rivalry game, Dallas vs. Fort Worth.

I bet we never get a Fran version of this until we win the whole thing

Fran will never overemphasize one small (but important) achievement when he know the greater goal requires more focus and a likely INCREASED level of play even from which generated the big win.

Fran will not let the team lose sight of the big picture.

He often talks about handling stress, not just negative stress but also positive generated stress

‘Hey Fran you just knocked off top ranked (Miami/NCST/xxx), how are you feeling.’

-Fran ‘I feel great for the guys, this is a result of their hard work, we could have done better, missed a few things, we’ll get better. But if we stay detailed, accountable, relentless and tough, we will have more good things happen on our way to the ultimate goal these guys are working their butts off for and are committed to.
While I agree with all of this, but that was an individual off the cuff moment from Dino in a locker room.

Fran will have moments that generate the same level of energy and excitement even though they will undoubtedly be different words.

Heck if just in your theoretical response he added something like “when we work as hard as we do, we expect to do more than just compete with teams of the highest level” that would send our Fanbase insane.

Ehh this is a nothing burger. Why would anyone give us love given last twenty plus years? I have zero issues with staff and team earning respect on the field. Once Fran and team impose their will and get those dubs, we will get some chatter. Until then, head down, horns out and bull forward.

Couldn't agree more with this sentiment. Additionally, HCFB has yet to receive his first communion relative to being a head coach. Actual results matter.

Dan Shaughnessy

If it was Dan, good for him for injecting a bit of humor. I mean, if the leaders/powers that be can continuously insult the viewing public relative to NIL and pitching it as that, versus what it truly is, pay for play, so be it.

It doesn’t surprise me at all that they have us at 12th. Heck, I‘m surprised they have us that high given how the talking heads and other ACC school fans talk about us. 1/2 don’t even think we should be in the ACC as we are dead weight apparently.
Not to mention the ACC officiating which has a heavy thumb on the scales.

FYI, SMU-TCU is the big rivalry game, Dallas vs. Fort Worth.
Iron Skillet game. Played more than 100 times, even with the two not being in the same conference for many years now, post-SWC. That game matters across the Metroplex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom