ACC PRIDE!!! | Syracusefan.com

ACC PRIDE!!!

Saltine44Retro

Walk On
I just gotta say how awesome it feels to be coming up to our first season in the premiere conference of the nation, the ACC! UNDISPUTED best basketball conference and one of the power 4 football conferences!

Watching C-USA pert deux, AKA the AAC (lol!!!) die a slow painfull death is justice and it is enjoyable.

Glad to be playing some REAL competition like Clemson, FSU, UNC, etc. instead of the pathetic losers we were playing like Pue-Conn, Rutgirlz, Loserville, etc.

THIS is HOME for 'Cuse! We have finally arrived HOME gentlemen!!! LET THE GAMES BEGIN! We are in a league with similiar instittutions that share our high academic values and high athletics standards.

I gotta add also it's great to be reunited with our old frien-emies, the Boston College Golden Eagles - we can redevelop that traditional rivalry, one of the older ones in college football (and plus we'll be on top of that rivalry!). I am very excited for this and just in general being in the ACC!!!

Feels GREAT to look at the top of the Syracusefan.com page and see all those helmets of REAL football teams and to know we are in THAT LEAGUE!!!

Who else is psyched out with me!!!???!?!?

Boston College Golden Eagles? Did I miss the name change announcement?

I just gotta say how awesome it feels to be coming up to our first season in the premiere conference of the nation, the ACC! UNDISPUTED best basketball conference and one of the power 4 football conferences!

Watching C-USA pert deux, AKA the AAC (lol!!!) die a slow painfull death is justice and it is enjoyable.

Glad to be playing some REAL competition like Clemson, FSU, UNC, etc. instead of the pathetic losers we were playing like Pue-Conn, Rutgirlz, Loserville, etc.

THIS is HOME for 'Cuse! We have finally arrived HOME gentlemen!!! LET THE GAMES BEGIN! We are in a league with similiar instittutions that share our high academic values and high athletics standards.

I gotta add also it's great to be reunited with our old frien-emies, the Boston College Golden Eagles - we can redevelop that traditional rivalry, one of the older ones in college football (and plus we'll be on top of that rivalry!). I am very excited for this and just in general being in the ACC!!!

Feels GREAT to look at the top of the Syracusefan.com page and see all those helmets of REAL football teams and to know we are in THAT LEAGUE!!!

We already were in the best basketball conference in the country.

I have Syracuse pride and Big East pride and have hated the ACC for many years for many reasons! Unless you are fairly young and just started following the orange, maybe you are quick to flip!

Get back to me in 5-10 years and ill let you know if I develop any ACC pride.

F the ACC
F the bigeast

and

really F the bigmidwest which is what weve had for the last 20+ years.

the bigeast died when miami joined.

LETS GO SYRACUSE!!

i do like the company we keep better now though.

Oh Lord

I'll feel ACC pride for football long before I do for basketball. I still miss the days of the real Big East basketball conference of the 80's through the mid 90's with it's double round robin. That will never be replaced for me.

Not really feeling conference pride yet. I think I at least have to actually been part of the conference awhile to feel pride.

Not really feeling conference pride yet. I think I at least have to actually been part of the conference awhile to feel pride.
Dude, we've been part of the conference for 14 days now. If you don't feel it by now, you're never going to. ;)

I'll feel ACC pride for football long before I do for basketball. I still miss the days of the real Big East basketball conference of the 80's through the mid 90's with it's double round robin. That will never be replaced for me.

Many ACC traditionalists feel the exact same way about the old 8-team version of the league.

Kaiser says the Big East died when Miami joined. Those same ACC traditionalists felt the exact same way when FSU joined. Losing the round robin in all sports in the expansion to 12 teams, hoops especially, is what they miss the most.

The Big East had a minor stroke when we took the wrong school from Pennsylvania Villanova before Penn St. Then it died when the basketball schools invited Notre Dame, and got nothing in return. Had they at least gotten some games in football, it might have helped.

Many ACC traditionalists feel the exact same way about the old 8-team version of the league.

Kaiser says the Big East died when Miami joined. Those same ACC traditionalists felt the exact same way when FSU joined. Losing the round robin in all sports in the expansion to 12 teams, hoops especially, is what they miss the most.
I would love to see an expansion to 16 with each division doing a double round robin in basketball. I know it's a pipedream though.

The Big East had a minor stroke when we took the wrong school from Pennsylvania Villanova before Penn St. Then it died when the basketball schools invited Notre Dame, and got nothing in return. Had they at least gotten some games in football, it might have helped.

Bob, you aren't really comparing the Villanova basketball program to Penn State's are you? First of all, Villanova had a record of significant accomplishment in basketball before the Big East. PSU had none. Villanova is in basketball-mad Philadelphia. PSU is in the cornfields of Central PA and draws its students from every podunk town in PA (Of which there are hundreds)

The Big East got plenty in return for adding ND. In BB, ND was always a huge in-person and TV draw.

PSU was only interested in joining the Big East (or in forming an Eastern Conference) on its terms. And in both cases it meant no sharing of PSU football revenue.

You are just perpetuating two myths about the Big East. PSU was never interested in playing football in the Big East as an equal partner. And ND's presence in the league is not why it failed. Adding either or both may have saved it. But that was never going to happen.

The Big East failed because there weren't enough quality football programs in the Northeast to support it. Especially after they couldn't stave off the ACC taking away BC, VT and Miami.

Bob, you aren't really comparing the Villanova basketball program to Penn State's are you? First of all, Villanova had a record of significant accomplishment in basketball before the Big East. PSU had none. Villanova is in basketball-mad Philadelphia. PSU is in the cornfields of Central PA and draws its students from every podunk town in PA (Of which there are hundreds)

The Big East got plenty in return for adding ND. In BB, ND was always a huge in-person and TV draw.

PSU was only interested in joining the Big East (or in forming an Eastern Conference) on its terms. And in both cases it meant no sharing of PSU football revenue.

You are just perpetuating two myths about the Big East. PSU was never interested in playing football in the Big East as an equal partner. And ND's presence in the league is not why it failed. Adding either or both may have saved it. But that was never going to happen.

The Big East failed because there weren't enough quality football programs in the Northeast to support it. Especially after they couldn't stave off the ACC taking away BC, VT and Miami.
the bigeast ultimately failed because it allowed itself to be hostage to football.

the bigeast initially survived because Syracuse and BC preserved its hoops teams by not allowing joepa the ability to create his northeast conference. and once pitt snuck in the back door the dream was over. without them in tow, he knew he had nothing.

it just took a lot longer to fail than it should have.

its too bad the 91 realignment was miami joining the big east and not Syracuse, BC & pitt joining FSU in the new ACC.

its too bad the 91 realignment was miami joining the big east and not Syracuse, BC & pitt joining FSU in the new ACC.

It's too bad the '91 realignment wasn't BOTH Miami and FSU joining the BE. :cool:

It's too bad the '91 realignment wasn't BOTH Miami and FSU joining the BE. :cool:
bigeast still wouldve failed.

there is no scenario where Syracuse stays in the bigeast past this year, be it the ACC or b1g...we're gone.

I would love to see an expansion to 16 with each division doing a double round robin in basketball. I know it's a pipedream though.

If it ever goes to 16, I could see a 4-pod set up for hoops working.

SOUTH
Miami
FSU
GT
Clemson

CENTRAL
UNC
NCSU
Wake
Duke

NORTH
UVA
VPI
UL
ND

NORTHEAST
Pitt
Syracuse
BC
*16th member

I could see as 18-game schedule working out like this:

Home-and-home vs your pod members = 6 games

One game each vs everybody else = 12 games

But, that would be dependent upon ND joining fulltime, which is happening anytime soon.

Believe it or not, many ACC'ers said the exact same thing. That we should have offered both. Truthfully, if either league had invited both, it would have been a coup for that league.

EDIT: When the news that the ACC was talking to FSU leaked, there were others who wanted then-commissioner Gene Corrigan to also talk to PSU, too.

the bigeast ultimately failed because it allowed itself to be hostage to football.

the bigeast initially survived because Syracuse and BC preserved its hoops teams by not allowing joepa the ability to create his northeast conference. and once pitt snuck in the back door the dream was over. without them in tow, he knew he had nothing.

it just took a lot longer to fail than it should have.

Do you think the ACC would've gone to 12 teams back then? I ask, because UNC and Duke were VERY resistant to adding a football-first school like FSU. Their presence would away from hoops. Which I found totally silly, because Georgia Tech was one year removed from winning the national title in football. And, because, at that time, FSU was pretty danged good at hoops themselves. Not to mention, how good their baseball program was (and, still is).

Personally, I would have liked that expansion you mention.

If it ever goes to 16, I could see a 4-pod set up for hoops working.

SOUTH
Miami
FSU
GT
Clemson

CENTRAL
UNC
NCSU
Wake
Duke

NORTH
UVA
VPI
UL
ND

NORTHEAST
Pitt
Syracuse
BC
*16th member

I could see as 18-game schedule working out like this:

Home-and-home vs your pod members = 6 games

One game each vs everybody else = 12 games

But, that would be dependent upon ND joining fulltime, which is happening anytime soon.

I suspect ND would align with Pitt, BC and Syracuse, and the 16th would fall someplace else.

In the alternate Fringe Universe ...

The 9 Original BE teams:

BC
Providence
UConn
Syracuse
St Johns
Rutgers
Temple
Penn State
Georgetown

Expansion I:

Pitt
WV
Va Tech
Miami
FSU

Expansion II:

Cinci
Louisville

12 team FB conference stretching up and down the Eastern Seaboard, with Providence, UConn, St Johns, and Georgetown for all other sports.

ACC stays at 8. UConn stays at 1AA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom